Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the update Tesla? AP2.0 2019.40.50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the ping ponging any better with AP? It has been completely unusable since the 2019.40.50.1 update.

You’ll like it. Much improved...or rather, a return to what was there. Can’t explain why that ping-ponging got so bad in the last update. I was using NoA for the first time in months tonight and loving it!

I couldn’t get the text message thing to work even though I’m on ios13 and have all the notifications on for Bluetooth and the Tesla app.

Is the ping ponging any better with AP? It has been completely unusable since the 2019.40.50.1 update.
I attribute your reference to ping-ponging to Tesla's attempt to give space to larger vehicles in the adjacent lane. A majority of the time it was giving room to semis all the way down to f150 type trucks. Pretty much anything other than a car. So, it was constantly and predictably moving right or left depending on the discernment of the cameras and computer assessing perceived trucks. We all know that the side cameras struggle with identifying the vehicle as a car or truck, so the car would swerve from center to left to center to right based on it's perception. The swerving when no vehicles around in my observation was a false positive detection incorrectly identified by the cameras. The traditional meaning of ping-ponging with auto steering systems is more around the car hunting the center of the lane based on line data only. IMO this is not that.

With that said, I drove on the highway today with the 2020.4.1 update. It did not swerve or make room for larger vehicles. So either they disabled the software or greatly improved it.

I couldn’t get the text message thing to work even though I’m on ios13 and have all the notifications on for Bluetooth and the Tesla app.

For me, samsung s9+, the text messages worked great. I really like how it works. You might want to check you bluetooth settings specific to your Tesla at both ends. I had to toggle messages within the bluetooth settings on my phone and in the car.

The new real voice commands worked great too.

Reactions: Seattle Tom
I attribute your reference to ping-ponging to Tesla's attempt to give space to larger vehicles in the adjacent lane. A majority of the time it was giving room to semis all the way down to f150 type trucks. Pretty much anything other than a car. So, it was constantly and predictably moving right or left depending on the discernment of the cameras and computer assessing perceived trucks. We all know that the side cameras struggle with identifying the vehicle as a car or truck, so the car would swerve from center to left to center to right based on it's perception. The swerving when no vehicles around in my observation was a false positive detection incorrectly identified by the cameras. The traditional meaning of ping-ponging with auto steering systems is more around the car hunting the center of the lane based on line data only. IMO this is not that.

With that said, I drove on the highway today with the 2020.4.1 update. It did not swerve or make room for larger vehicles. So either they disabled the software or greatly improved it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, but the ping ponging I am referring to is a constant weaving between the left and right lane markers even without any traffic. It's like AP is constantly over-correcting itself and can never find the middle of the lane. This never happened to me prior to 2019.40.50.7 so I doubt it's something hardware related. From what I can tell reading online it's a software bug mostly limited to HW 2.5 vehicles.

Thanks for sharing your experience, but the ping ponging I am referring to is a constant weaving between the left and right lane markers even without any traffic. It's like AP is constantly over-correcting itself and can never find the middle of the lane. This never happened to me prior to 2019.40.50.7 so I doubt it's something hardware related. From what I can tell reading online it's a software bug mostly limited to HW 2.5 vehicles.
I guess us 2.0 owners didn't experience that. None of us received that update. We jumped past it to 2020.4.1. We were all 2019.40.2.7 and below. On the latest update, I have not experienced any of what you explained or even the make room for trucks behavior. So, it looks like that fixed it or disabled it.