Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is this noise coming from?! Please help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Y Guy

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2017
California
I've owned a LR RWD for about 2.5 years now (since May 2018). I'm just shy of 30,000 miles and have had it lowered on TSportline springs since August 2018. The 1" drop put the stance right where I thought it should have been from the factory. Anyway, about 2 months ago I started hearing some noise (slight knocking/glonking?) in the rear, mainly at slower speeds going over uneven road surfaces, speed bumps, pulling into the driveway, etc. I brought it in to where I got it lowered and it was diagnosed that my rear driver's side shock was leaking and not functioning properly. I then took it in to Tesla and they agreed, actually replacing both rear shocks under warranty. Problem solved right? Wrong. The noise was still there. I took both wheels/tires off to look for any loose bolts, or to see if the rubber isolators were seated incorrectly. From what my novice eyes could see everything looked good. I attached some photos (not sure they'll help at all) but the main thing I was hoping you all could check out was the 30-second video I took. It's just me jacking the car up, and lowering it back down slowly, but you can clearly hear the sounds at the end of the video with three distinct "glonks" (haha) that get a bit louder until the car has settled back on the ground. Tesla, after having my car for nine days, didn't actually diagnose the issue. They simply stated that they believed it was the lowering springs and that I should reinstall the stock springs. Number one, I'm not convinced it's the springs. Number two, I simply can't take the stock height, with that huge fender gap. Safety is obviously the biggest concern here though. I will be taking it back to the shop where I got it lowered this week but would really love any ideas on what exactly this could be. Thank you so much in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Rear (1).jpeg
    Rear (1).jpeg
    802.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Rear (2).jpeg
    Rear (2).jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Rear (3).jpeg
    Rear (3).jpeg
    776.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Rear (4).jpeg
    Rear (4).jpeg
    593.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Rear (5).jpeg
    Rear (5).jpeg
    678 KB · Views: 93
I'd take the under trays off to see everything in that area better.
Yah, it doesn’t seem like it’s a spring issue after all. It’s definitely something in the rear suspension though, and since I modified the car with the 1” drop, Tesla said I voided the warranty for suspension. Makes sense. However, it’s really just an out for Tesla if in fact it has nothing to do with the springs.

Are you sure it's the same noise? That sound as you lower the car pretty much is the way mine sounds when I lower my car. I don't know that I've heard any "glonking" while driving around.

Are you sure it's the same noise? That sound as you lower the car pretty much is the way mine sounds when I lower my car. I don't know that I've heard any "glonking" while driving around.
If not the same it’s definitely similar. I do think it’s all connected though. The noise is more coming from the rear center of the car than the area where the springs are. Might have to put the stock springs back on to see if the noise goes away. The mechanic working on my car took the lowering springs off, re-seated and lubed them, and then reinstalled and the noise was still there.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
After extensive pinpointing, by my mechanic, it turns out my rear springs are rubbing against one another (defective). TSportline springs have a two year warranty and unfortunately I'm past that. I will say that the few times I've spoken to TSportline customer support it's been trash; never helpful and consistently rude. I'm going to remove the TSportline springs and replace them with another brand. This should resolve the issue. Thanks to those that contributed to the conversation.

• Informative
After extensive pinpointing, by my mechanic, it turns out my rear springs are rubbing against one another (defective). TSportline springs have a two year warranty and unfortunately I'm past that. I will say that the few times I've spoken to TSportline customer support it's been trash; never helpful and consistently rude. I'm going to remove the TSportline springs and replace them with another brand. This should resolve the issue. Thanks to those that contributed to the conversation.

It looks like I also have the same issue with my rear springs rubbing after 6 months installed. You can see in the pics where the rust marks are between the coils. Is this the same you saw with yours? I haven't noticed any sounds yet though. I need to contact TSportline tomorrow to ask about this along with my uneven drop with the front being an inch higher than the rear that I've been speaking to you about directly. I hope I get better customer support than what I received during my first call to them inquiring about the uneven drop problem.

IMG_5348.jpg IMG_5349.jpg IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5351.jpg

• Informative
It looks like I also have the same issue with my rear springs rubbing after 6 months installed. You can see in the pics where the rust marks are between the coils. Is this the same you saw with yours? I haven't noticed any sounds yet though. I need to contact TSportline tomorrow to ask about this along with my uneven drop with the front being an inch higher than the rear that I've been speaking to you about directly. I hope I get better customer support than what I received during my first call to them inquiring about the uneven drop problem.

View attachment 627669 View attachment 627670 View attachment 627671 View attachment 627672
Yes, you can barely see in one of my photos that my springs are leaving the same lines as yours. My mechanic did mention there was rusting as well. Also, I'm pretty sure the drop got lower over the years, although fairly even all around. He took the springs off, cleaned them up, and put WD-40 on there so things were lubed up and not so dry. He told me that resolved the issue, at least temporarily, but the noise will return. He said he's seen other issues with springs but this shouldn't be happening. I test drove the car after he reinstalled them, and can confirm the noise I was hearing is gone for now, but I already have an appointment set up for next week to get all new springs installed. I'm hoping the new ones last a bit longer. I know this, the warranty on the new springs is lifetime, not two years. I hope you find some luck with customer support.