Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

where should I apply the paint protection film to get the most protection and benefit for the money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

If I have lots of spare money to spend, I would apply PPF and Ceramic coat all around my model 3. But my budget is limited, I can only go with PPF for now. If I end up doing PPF only, which area of car will give me the most benefit and protection for the application? thank you.

PPF sooner than later. I suggest full frontal (front bumper, hood (frunk), and fenders). Also if you drive on gravel or have winter, do the rocker panels.
If you’re feeling fancy you can do the entire car, but that’s generally overkill IMO.

I did the rockers as it was not that much money and my Lotus has factory rocker panel protection which has saved me a repaint. (No winter or gravel here)

Reactions: Sherlo
Similar question...we'll take delivery of our 2020 Pearl White M3 this weekend. Should we wait to have the ceramic coating applied or can we go have that completed right away. Not sure if clear coat needs time for cure in sun (UV) or it's fully cured upon delivery. Thanks

Similar question...we'll take delivery of our 2020 Pearl White M3 this weekend. Should we wait to have the ceramic coating applied or can we go have that completed right away. Not sure if clear coat needs time for cure in sun (UV) or it's fully cured upon delivery. Thanks

You can double check with the Tesla rep at pickup, but I am fairly certain the paint is fully cured by the time the car is delivered. You can and should apply your preferred paint protection as soon as you can. And remember, you can always apply ceramic coating on top of PPF, but you cannot apply PPF on top of ceramic coating. So if you plan on having any PPF installed, do that first and then have the ceramic coating applied on top of the PPF.

If you are not having any PPF, then you can apply the ceramic coating shortly after delivery. But make sure the installer inspects the paint and performs any necessary paint polishing/correcing before applying the ceramic coating. Any swirls and scratches in the paint will be "sealed in" by the ceramic coating.