TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where should I charge to get my car home?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hingisfan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Hi guys,

looking at bringing my car home from Lawrence SC on Wednesday afternoon. I think I should be able to get to Belleville (175km) ok, and then I need to charg to make it home (20km North of Kingston). Anyone have good spots around Belleville/Trenton to charge up? (60, single charger)

Also, am I correct that I should top up at Lawrence with range mode off and climate on, and then turn range mode on when I start driving?

Thanks!

2. wayner

wayner Active Member

If you haven't already join Plugshare. There is a Tesla Model S owner a little bit north of Brighton - maybe he is willing to let you use his HPWC (assuming he has one)? The only listings in Belleville appear to be 120V. There is a J1772 at Shannon Motorsports park, but I wonder if it is accessible/powered/open at this time of year. Hopefully some of the Ottawa crowd will chime in as they must have a way to get to T.O.

The Best Western in Cobourg has what is listed as a Sun Country 70A charger(a month ago a Model S user said he got 202V/68A) so you might want to call them ahead of time and see if they will let you use it if you eat a meal there or something like that.

3. hingisfan

Thanks! I did contact him and he is more than willing to let me charge if I am unsuccessful at the Best Western in Cobourg.

4. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

It could be possible to drive all the way to Kingston given the weather forecast (-7C to -1C) if the car/battery is well preheated and range charged when driving at 90km/h. I normally set the heater at 18C and leave it as auto (range mode "off" since it is useless if the battery is already heated).
    I personally would do it, but I'm not sure about your case since it will be your first road trip. :)

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I routinely drive direct Toronto-Kingston in all conditions. Just watch the consumption and slow down if needed. There's a cool new graph feature on the Energy App that will help.

6. hingisfan

This might sound crazy to you guys but I'd rather drive 120 than 90 and stop for 45-60 min.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's only 240 km. Piece of cake.

8. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Based on my experience yesterday from Ottawa to Montreal, driving @ 120km/h should give you 86% of the rated range. 100km/h was at the rated line (100%). It was -2°C and my heating setting was @ 18°C. (range mode = off)

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It was of course warmer yesterday. But worst-case I think you're talking 110 instead of 120.

10. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

If you want to stop enroute to charge, it doesn't really matter where you stop as long as it's some distance from Toronto. 6 kW chargers are going to provide full power right up to something like 98% full.

So: consult plugshare. I personally have used the charger at the Iroquois Sports Centre in Whitby, which is very close to the GO Station in Whitby, which also has a charger. These are Chargepoint chargers, so you'll either need a card or you should be able to just scan your credit card. Charging is free. The GO Station charges $2.50 for parking.

I know that Whitby is only 40 km away, but if you're that worried about making it to Kingston then, as I say, it doesn't really matter where you stop. You could charge for an hour at Whitby and get less than 40 km back. i.e. it would take more than an hour to get back to full. 6 kW chargers are

S

L

O

W

11. Supercharged

Supercharged Banned

Every time I stopped at the Cobourg BW, except once, it was always ICED by the local Utility company so I couldn't even stay there overnight. Why would I?
    The owner wasn't willing to ask the offender to move so be careful there as it is not an EV friendly hotel. Sun Country knows about it but what can they do anyway now that it is installed?

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Wow, this is very disappointing to hear...I have charged there many times...always either stayed for a meal (party of 2 or 4), or stayed overnight, with never an issue...I wonder why both (a) the local utility company would be so obtuse to park their ICE vehicle in the EV charging spot, and (b), why the administration of the hotel refused to ask them to move?

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Weird. I've had trouble at several Best Westerns, but never at Cobourg. I've taken to staying there when I can.

14. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

At your service if you wish. Just up I-476 in PA (Allentown area) will take you back to 81 and up to a HPWC in Binghamton though I can't confirm range estimates in the cold for that distance.

15. hingisfan

I stopped for a meal at Cobourg today while bringing my baby home!

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Congrats on your bouncing baby S!

17. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

How was your range when you reached Cobourg? Better or worse than you expected?

18. hingisfan

Honestly I haven't been feeling well so I was kind of out of it. But when I got home I had used 58.7kwh for the trip, so I might not have made it. I did drive 115-120 the whole way though, and from napanee to home had a spirited drive home on the back roads.