Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where the Autopilot Doesn't Work (List)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest flaw I've found is high speed curves. While on the freeway at speeds of 60 MPH or less, when the freeway curves, car does well. However, above 60 and especially at 70+ MPH, it scares the crap out of me. It's very late at making the turn. Appears as if the radar or camera can't determine the curve coming up at that speed. Once I get to the curve, it recognizes it and abruptly cranks the wheel. However, by this time, It's already passed over the line and onto the rumble strips. Then as it corrects itself, it swerves back to the other side of the lane and struggles to center itself again until the curve ends and the road is straight. At slower speeds it does fine. So would appear that they need to improve the recognition of curves to further ahead than it is now as coming up on them at higher speeds seems to catch the car off guard. Other than, it's amazing, especially so in bumper to bumper traffic!

Last edited:
I had this experience last night...Traveling on the freeway at 70mph. Lanes to left and right were detected. Nothing in blind spot, nobody around, actually. Signaled to make the lane change and as soon as the blinker went on, the lanes went away. Not quite sure why this would happen. Don't judge me for listening to Justin Bieber....my daughter was in the car and she insisted.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
I had this experience last night...Traveling on the freeway at 70mph. Lanes to left and right were detected. Nothing in blind spot, nobody around, actually. Signaled to make the lane change and as soon as the blinker went on, the lanes went away. Not quite sure why this would happen. Don't judge me for listening to Justin Bieber....my daughter was in the car and she insisted.

I just took delivery of my 85D on Friday and have had a few days with AP. I've also noticed this happen to me, in which I'd have Autosteer engaged for awhile, but a command to change lanes would not initiate at all. When this started happening, I also noticed that that the indicators around my car that would indicate cars were next to me were no longer showing either. It seemed like the sensors around the car were no longer working. So on a whim, I changed the car's driver profile from mine to another profile that I had saved. Under the new profile, the sensors surrounding the car appeared to have started working again and would show when there were vehicles were next to me. Under this profile, the lane change would work. Then, I changed back to my original driver profile, the sensors appeared to work, and lane change would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this thread and thought it was a super must read for new Tesla owners. I agree with all of them after my first long road trip. Direct sunlight during am or sunset causes some issues and the shadows on the road from the sun in the horizon makes it difficult for the camera to see the lines. Thanks everyone for posting. Wanted to make sure people saw this thread!

So, with regard to the direct sunlight issue, if you live in a sunny climate and live WEST of your office than may very well have you driving into the early morning and late afternoon sun every day for your commute? Is this, essentially, a bad use-case for autopilot??? If so, that would seem to eliminate an awful large percentage of a person's driving (note: I am this use case as are several thousand of my fellow commuters based on the traffic I see going in to work every day). Ironically, I've noted myself the crappy lane markings and evening/morning sun. Still, I don't see anyone advertising :"Autopilot...if you commute West to East in the mornings!").

My experience was just based on one incident where I was driving exactly into the sun's direction around 630/7am. The brightness of the sun was one where you needed glasses or the sunshade. Basically it was hard enough to drive with my own eyes...thus being hard for a camera lens. It couldn't read the lines that well. I think 90% of the time you will be fine. You would just need to keep an eye out as suggested

About 0.5% of the time when passing a truck on a divided lane freeway, Autopilot will suddenly decide that the left side of the truck is the right-hand lane stripe and recenter in the direction of the truck. Very unnerving; it appears the car is actually going to turn into the truck. Usually the truck has one of those white shields that covers the open space between the axles.

• Helpful
Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

So far, not a lot of details have been revealed. Since NHTSA is investigating, supposedly, one can read the report from NHTSA after they have concluded. In addition, one of the details they already revealed is that the interaction included that of the underside of a trailer. They also mentioned a white trailer on a white background (the sky). Where I stay in Aptos a lot, and in many coastal areas of this state, the sky is often very white. Also, closer to the poles (North Pole and South Pole) when the sun angle is less directly above, the sky is less blue, and more white. Ground-fog could also induce this sort of white on white type of interaction. Also, any stealth trailer would pose this problem, and therefore be highly illegal; we can only assume that the trailer was not a stealth trailer, and was only a white trailer. White is a nice relatively joyful (yet neutral) color (compared to black or other dark melancholy colors) and as a solid color is simple to apply, so it's common on large trailers. It is also more visible than some darker colors at night time. But, it also presents these types of situations of lack of discernibility in the rare instances in which the background itself becomes white. Human drivers and mechanical drivers need extreme good eyesight and alertness to avoid these types of situations, and presumably, most such people have such capabilities, or would realize their lack thereof, and find alternate transportation options (such as a different road or time of day).

I don't want to blame anybody, but if the price of the vehicle was increased further, more sensors could be loaded up on it, and presumably offer increased protection for a wider range of activities, if the processing power and software could make good use of the higher quantity and diversity of inputs. Also, sharing of collected information could happen inter-vehicle. Those are all ideas, and would of course need a lot of consideration just to even try out, much less bring to market. I've repeated that thought many times on these forums, so there's nothing new from me, if anybody has already read those thoughts from me before, and the doubtless thousands of others who have brought up similar ideas.

From this tragic loss, I think more information will come out later; for this summary thread of driver assistance problems, I would consider it reasonable for only a few more installments of summaries of what was learned from this crash to be posted in this thread. I just wanted to get the initial bout here since it seems like a pretty simple to understand issue (empty space under a vehicle AND white-on-white vehicle, that both combined ended up deadly).

I should add that as I imagine the description of the crash, I think of a particular highway I use that has some (if not all) very similar attributes: California State Highway 152, between Los Banos and California State Highway 99; in this case, the highway is a relatively safe relatively divided (entirely divided if you discount the crossings) relatively high speed (65MPH) flat straight smooth well kept highway (with very wide and far on-highway visibility), with many many truck crossings (therefore not a freeway), driving at farm speeds (single digit MPH), as well as tractors (also driving at farm-tractor speed). I personally know this, and turn on my lights and go into ultra-awareness mode for this area. What happens is that I get into a lull of calmness as my car smoothly directs down the highway, a long boring highway that one wishes to be finished with soon, often very hot and requiring the sound-deadening A/C fans going at a good clip, furthering my slip into calmness and sereneness. I recognize the problem of crossing traffic, so keep very alert in this stretch. It is not uncommon to have many dozens of minutes of smooth fast driving followed by a vehicle crossing one's path at nearly a stopped speed, and have to bring the full range of capabilities to bear to make certain that nothing bad happens; usually this just means slowing and being ready to stop, but it is not unheard of to go from a complete highway speed to a complete standstill on this stretch, and I have experienced that on multiple occasions. Add to that the white on white background, and this becomes just one of those things that needs this particular attention, and has its own set of particular dangers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
During long straight drives where you are keeping your left hand on the wheel, Autopilot frequently nags you to put a hand on the wheel. The problem goes away if you switch to your right hand.

Oregon raised speed limits on March 1st. On Highway 95, Autopilot still forces you to drive 10 mph below the speed limit. You get a brief reprieve whenever the car reads a 70 mph sign, but it only lasts six miles. Speed limit signs are few and far between on that road.

• Helpful
Regarding Jersey Barriers, I had two close calls this weekend on Route 17 in NJ. I was in the left hand lane next to the concrete barriers and (with perfectly painted lines) the car lost the left line and drifted towards the barrier. It did this two times on 17. I let it go a bit to see if it would correct itself but took control when it got a little too close for comfort. Not sure why it couldn't acquire the line as it was visually intact.

I agree that all new owners should read this info. Elon said that Tesla needs to better dictate drivers about the proper use of AP & I think the posters here have done a great job. I have been especially wanting a Tesla since AP came out last year & I can't wait to get my Model S with autopilot. I used it on the freeway when I did test drives. I didn't use it on any non-freeways even though the autosteer icon frequently appeared because of its limitations. It worked very well on the freeways. While the acceleration & deceleration is far too aggressive for me, I was able to moderate that to a certain extent by lowering the TACC speed & then using my foot on the accelerator to bring the car back up to speed before raising the TACC a speed back up to the desired cruising speed.

This is a very good list. Someone needs to number the points, or something, and make it required reading. I especially agree that the sensors do NOT like barriers and trucks. Must overload the sensors.

One thing I'd like to add: Dots -- Those white plastic round disks glued in a line. The car does not recognize dots. You might interpret them as a line, but the car doesn't.

And, just as information, the car does learn. I had heard this, but I just had it happen to me. We have a curve near me that bears left and at the same time there is a right turn. The car tried to drive straight ahead time after time. Then, all of a sudden, it figured it out. It goes around the curve and ignores the right turn.