there is no global norm for a car top 10 cars USA 3 utes, 3 midsize sedans 2 compact sedan 2 SUVs generally motor is 2.4l or larger generally wheelbase is more than 2700mm EU 2015 (Full Year) Europe: 20 Best-Selling Car Models top 10 cars 1 Volkswagen Golf 533,584 2 Ford Fiesta 314,432 3 Renault Clio 305,305 4 Volkswagen Polo 301,817 5 Opel / Vauxhall Corsa 269,765 6 Ford Focus 234,442 7 Nissan Qashqai 232,176 8 Peugeot 208 229,767 9 VW Passat 228,113 10 Skoda Octavia 218,095 1 hatchs, 1 CUVs , 1 wagon wheelbase anywhere generally lass than 2700mm (ie Prius/LEAF) typical engine, turbo 1.2 litre, aspirated 1.6 litre China June 2016 top 6 (sales over 30k in June) Best-selling Sedans, SUVs, and MPVs in June 2016 | ChinaAutoWeb Wuling Hongguang SAIC-GM-Wuling 41956 VW Lavida Sedan SAIC-VW 37869 Haval H6 Great Wall 37547 Nissan Sylphy Dongfeng-Nissan 33489 VW Jetta FAW-VW 32950 Buick Excelle SAIC-GM 30973 van first sedan and SUV second 3 sedans/hatch 3rd much more variety than USA or EU in styles, but generally engine below 1.6litre Japan 40% of market is Kei cars (imiev size cars) of the remaining 60% the top 5 Toyota Aqua 215,525 (prius C) Toyota Prius 127,403 Prius Honda Fit 119,846 Toyota Corolla 109,027 Nissan Note 97,995 (Vesa hatch) so their large size car is a corolla or a Prius. most cars are much smaller than either of those. its a big part of why there is no equivalent to the Tesla, in most of these markets, a Tesla sized car is fringe car anyway. Its also a reason why established automakers made their first EVs look so strange to USA eyes. the LEAF, i3, MiEV, these are all fairly unremarkable looking in their home markets. Particularly the MiEV, it is a normal car.