TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where to buy a full set of 22'' grey turbine wheels once the car is delivered?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Novalis, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Novalis

Novalis Member

My MX will be delivered with the standard 20'' alloy wheels as I intend to use them with winter tyres. I wish I could get a set of the 22'' grey turbine wheels to mount my summer tyres but they do not not seem to be available anywhere. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

2. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Just a reverse thought.... buy the car with the 22 Black Onyx rims. The 20" winter package is available from Tesla at $5500 USD..... both problems solved.

3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

You have lots of options. Research the carbon fiber wheels here, then look at Forged, then look at the Aluminum. You want the lightest rim your wallet can afford. Carbons run $8K for a set but only weight 12 lbs each, Forged weight ~ 25 lbs each and Tesla fat boys weight in ~ 35 lbs each (before adding tires, TPMS and lug nuts and center caps.)

Since you are driving a $150K car, get the best you can afford - The 22 Carbons will give you increased range, quieter ride and faster acceleration. As rotational mass goes up - so do the watts that turn that weight.... also remember that 22 inch rims need to be the strongest you can buy - which doesnt do so well with aluminum - since its mass has to be higher for higher strength. See the chart here: https://esecarbon.com/technology

If you wait a couple of weeks I will have mine and I will post my experiences with them. I plan to reset my "B" log and keep my "A" log to show the wattage difference over a year.

4. Novalis

Novalis Member

5. Novalis

Novalis Member

I am looking forward to your report following your experience with your ESE CF 20' rims! Do you intend to mount them on your MX? Meanwhile, I would like to share an interesting research paper written by Alexey Vdovin regarding the aerodynamic resistance of rotating wheels. Several rim designs are investigated. In particular, if you combine the graph on page 39 with the info found on page 15, you might be able to estimate the max energy savings from selecting one particular rim profile over another.

http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/176302/176302.pdf

6. Novalis

Novalis Member

7. Novalis

Novalis Member

Good idea, but unfortunately, it seems the MX winter package is not yet available in the UK!:(

8. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

9. timf

timf Member

Also please keep in mind there are no grey wheels available for Model X as there are for Model S. Your only OEM choices are silver or black, or you can get them painted by a local shop.

10. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

New Wheels on my Model X P90DL

11. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

While we are not Tesla
    Here are a set of metallic grey 20" TST's
    front 20×9.0″, rear 20×10.0″

[​IMG]

12. TJunkers

TJunkers Member

After seeing this picture, I pre-ordered the gloss black versions for my Obsidian Black. Can't wait! Any ETA for these?

13. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

Next month.

14. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

And here is what matte black looks like.
    20x9.0" 265/45-20" (factory tire size)
    20x10.0" 275/45-20" (factory tire size)
    Factory cap fitment
    Factory lug nuts

[​IMG]