Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to buy a full set of 22'' grey turbine wheels once the car is delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX will be delivered with the standard 20'' alloy wheels as I intend to use them with winter tyres. I wish I could get a set of the 22'' grey turbine wheels to mount my summer tyres but they do not not seem to be available anywhere. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

You have lots of options. Research the carbon fiber wheels here, then look at Forged, then look at the Aluminum. You want the lightest rim your wallet can afford. Carbons run $8K for a set but only weight 12 lbs each, Forged weight ~ 25 lbs each and Tesla fat boys weight in ~ 35 lbs each (before adding tires, TPMS and lug nuts and center caps.)

Since you are driving a $150K car, get the best you can afford - The 22 Carbons will give you increased range, quieter ride and faster acceleration. As rotational mass goes up - so do the watts that turn that weight.... also remember that 22 inch rims need to be the strongest you can buy - which doesnt do so well with aluminum - since its mass has to be higher for higher strength. See the chart here: https://esecarbon.com/technology

If you wait a couple of weeks I will have mine and I will post my experiences with them. I plan to reset my "B" log and keep my "A" log to show the wattage difference over a year.

You have lots of options. Research the carbon fiber wheels here, then look at Forged, then look at the Aluminum. You want the lightest rim your wallet can afford. Carbons run $8K for a set but only weight 12 lbs each, Forged weight ~ 25 lbs each and Tesla fat boys weight in ~ 35 lbs each (before adding tires, TPMS and lug nuts and center caps.)

Since you are driving a $150K car, get the best you can afford - The 22 Carbons will give you increased range, quieter ride and faster acceleration. As rotational mass goes up - so do the watts that turn that weight.... also remember that 22 inch rims need to be the strongest you can buy - which doesnt do so well with aluminum - since its mass has to be higher for higher strength. See the chart here: Advantages & Benefits of Carbon Fiber Materials | ESE Carbon Company

If you wait a couple of weeks I will have mine and I will post my experiences with them. I plan to reset my "B" log and keep my "A" log to show the wattage difference over a year.

I am looking forward to your report following your experience with your ESE CF 20' rims! Do you intend to mount them on your MX? Meanwhile, I would like to share an interesting research paper written by Alexey Vdovin regarding the aerodynamic resistance of rotating wheels. Several rim designs are investigated. In particular, if you combine the graph on page 39 with the info found on page 15, you might be able to estimate the max energy savings from selecting one particular rim profile over another.

http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/176302/176302.pdf