Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to Buy Nema 5-20 adapter for Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that. I wonder if they're phasing out the "old style" adapters now that the UMC has been changed. My new Model X came with a UMC that looks like the one they ship with Model 3. It has the pigtail adapters instead of the smaller plug-in ones.
Someone said the older plug in style over heats so they were phasing it out. The new one hass a reduced output to fix that. I have the generation 1 umc.

If you can't get one locally, I could probably pick one up at my Service Center or have one shipped to me. I could ship it to you at cost. If you are in a rush, I could ship you mine (only used once so far) and then just order a new one for myself.

If you can't get one locally, I could probably pick one up at my Service Center or have one shipped to me. I could ship it to you at cost. If you are in a rush, I could ship you mine (only used once so far) and then just order a new one for myself.
Thanks for you offer. Now I wished I had waited for a few days before going out and bought the new umc. Yesterday I have tried using the new umc on the 5-20 and got the bad wiring and reduce charging message. Have you experienced that before.

Thanks for you offer. Now I wished I had waited for a few days before going out and bought the new umc. Yesterday I have tried using the new umc on the 5-20 and got the bad wiring and reduce charging message. Have you experienced that before.
I haven't seen that message personally. There are some threads here on TMC which discuss it so maybe you could learn something about it in those threads.

Reactions: Nauti-Boy
Someone said the older plug in style over heats so they were phasing it out. The new one hass a reduced output to fix that. I have the generation 1 umc.

The original UMC, such as the one that came with my early 2013 Model S, could charge at 40 amps, but there were some fires caused by overheated plugs. Tesla sent out new 40 amp 14-50 adapters to owners that incorporated an internal thermal fuse.

Still more fires, so Tesla sent out whole new UMC sets that were limited to 32 amps and included a new 32 amp 14-50 adapter. They asked owners to return their original UMCs, but few if any actually did. (I didn't). I believe this was the result of an investigation by the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority.

So there were actually 2 iterations of the "old style" UMC.

When I sold my 2013 Model S, I delivered it with the new 32 amp UMC and 32 amp 14-50 adapter plus the original 5-15 adapter than came with the car. I kept the old UMC along with both the fused and unfused 40 amp 14-50 adapters and the 5-20 adapter that I had purchased separately.

• Informative
Reactions: Nauti-Boy