Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to buy parts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to buy a spare nose cone before my car arrives in April/May. Can this be done through a nearby service center? I want to experiment and finalize placement of the Blinder laser sensors so when the car arrives they're ready to install by swapping nose cones.

Last edited:
I'd call the service center and ask them to order one for you.

Right on that. This morning I called the DC service center (the nearest to me) and discussed with Nathan what I wanted. Next thing I know Nathan emails me a drawing with an exploded view of all of the nose cone pieces and parts. I identified what I wanted and he's now checking price and availability.

So I'm hoping to have the nose cone about 4 months before I have the car. That will enable me to work out placement of the Blinder sensors (two will be built into the nose cone) and do all of the necessary and very careful cutting and fitting to install them. I want them to look like they were made with the car, not as an add on, as many of these installations often appear. Then it will be a case of swapping the nose cones when my Model S arrives.

Once you get started, don't forget about what is behind the nose cone (i.e. bumper beam). Is there a difference between signature series and production series nose cone? Seems like there is plenty of space for the units but only in the right place.

Once you get started, don't forget about what is behind the nose cone (i.e. bumper beam). Is there a difference between signature series and production series nose cone? Seems like there is plenty of space for the units but only in the right place.

I hope someone else will remove the nose cone and post some good photos of what's behind. My guess is that it's the nose cone itself that's changed,not what's behind.

The laser sensors are quite small so I don't think they'll be a problem. It's the EZPass transponder that concerns me the most.

Right on that. This morning I called the DC service center (the nearest to me) and discussed with Nathan what I wanted. Next thing I know Nathan emails me a drawing with an exploded view of all of the nose cone pieces and parts. I identified what I wanted and he's now checking price and availability.

Wow. What would something like that cost? My experience is that anything remotely likely to be damaged in an accident is priced very high (since they know the insurance company is most likely the one to pay).

Can you post the exploded view? I think that would be of interest...

Wow. What would something like that cost? My experience is that anything remotely likely to be damaged in an accident is priced very high (since they know the insurance company is most likely the one to pay).

Can you post the exploded view? I think that would be of interest...

Should have the cost in a day or so. I'm guessing a few hundred. It is after all a piece of molded plastic. Here's the exploded view:

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.09.28 AM.png

Should have the cost in a day or so. I'm guessing a few hundred. It is after all a piece of molded plastic.

Thanks! I was thinking of going with something like this, but either trying to install it myself or seeing if the Tesla Service Center (very close to my home) could do the work. Someone else on these forums has already purchased the device, but I haven't seen his review yet.

I went to buy some plastic pieces (fender liner parts) for my Model S, and went to the Fremont, CA Service Center
(at the Tesla Factory). (It's only 12 miles from my house...)

I was told by Jake Joseph, a "Parts Advisor," that Tesla ***DOES NOT SELL PARTS TO CUSTOMERS/OWNERS!****
He suggested going to an authorized Collision Center (in Oakland, 30 miles further away), and see if they would
sell me the parts. (They won't, since Tesla requires rigid documentation of the parts they order.)

Has anyone else experienced this, since the very reasonable experience above with the nose cone?
I CANNOT imagine how this will work for customers who need to replace simple parts in their vehicles!
We are PURCHASING the cars, not LEASING them!

Anyway, if anyone has a different experience, ***please*** reply to this thread, as I'd like to go
back to the Service Center with some info.

Thanks,

Dave Roe

I went to buy some plastic pieces (fender liner parts) for my Model S, and went to the Fremont, CA Service Center
(at the Tesla Factory). (It's only 12 miles from my house...)

I was told by Jake Joseph, a "Parts Advisor," that Tesla ***DOES NOT SELL PARTS TO CUSTOMERS/OWNERS!****
He suggested going to an authorized Collision Center (in Oakland, 30 miles further away), and see if they would
sell me the parts. (They won't, since Tesla requires rigid documentation of the parts they order.)

Has anyone else experienced this, since the very reasonable experience above with the nose cone?
I CANNOT imagine how this will work for customers who need to replace simple parts in their vehicles!
We are PURCHASING the cars, not LEASING them!

Anyway, if anyone has a different experience, ***please*** reply to this thread, as I'd like to go
back to the Service Center with some info.

Thanks,

Dave Roe

From what I've read on here and from others, Fremont seems to be awfully cranky with customers. I had no problem purchasing a camera and a few other assorted pieces from my SC. They asked why, but it was curiosity. They still sold me the part even when they didn't really like the answer.

I've purchased lots of parts for lots of cars over the years, and have never heard of a manufacturer refusing to sell parts to actual owners. Often they'll restrict certain parts to protect future owners (like refusing to assist you in rebadging your S60 as a P85), but otherwise I've never had any trouble.

That said, fender liners may be considered a crash repair item by Tesla. We already know they're doing this crazy "Authorized Repair Centers Only" thing, so that may be the basis for the denial.

Quite honestly, I'd try one of the other half dozens SCs in the area and see how it goes. If you get the same answer, complain to Ownership.

I've purchased lots of parts for lots of cars over the years, and have never heard of a manufacturer refusing to sell parts to actual owners. Often they'll restrict certain parts to protect future owners (like refusing to assist you in rebadging your S60 as a P85), but otherwise I've never had any trouble.
Same here. Any lawyers care to comment on the legality of a car company refusing to sell parts to customers, thereby forcing you to use their service? I would think there might be some issues there with Federal anti-trust laws, or state laws like Mass right-to-repair. If nothing else, it feels wrong.