Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to charge in Southwest Portland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many miles do they drive per day? If less then 40, do they have access to a 120v outlet? If so, that will work just fine for that amount of driving. If they have a sudden burst of driving, then they can go out of their way to use something faster to recover their buffer.

Using J1772 will be very painful unless they work/live within walking distance of one (use PlugShare to locate the closest ones). If there isn't one within walking distance, then you are pretty much stuck using a CHAdeMO or Supercharger as that's the only option you would want to consider if you have to park and wait by the car during the charging. The CHAdeMO adapter may be expensive, but once you are done with it, you can probably sell to somebody local and recover most of the cost.

With the charging cable kit that comes with the car you can also get a decent charge speed from most 240V dryer outlets. Though I've never tried it I do have a 240V HPWC at home that I use all the time. Typical charging rate is in the range of 30 mph which is fine for overnight.

My home HPWC was not installed until a month after I got the car.
I live within 30 miles from the Woodburn supercharger.
My thought was that if I needed to go far, I would charge overnight at home from a wall outlet, and then visit the SC to get the rest of the energy needed. Never needed to visit the SC for the charge althoogh I did visit it once, just to "practice" using an SC before I went on my first road trip.

I used Woodburn to top up on the way back from Salem a couple of times. I didn't need much, but it was good to practice SC use, and we needed to eat anyway.

It looked like my HPWC wasn't going to be installed before the car got here, so I was looking at heavy duty 240V extension cords on Amazon so I could use the dryer plug. We don't use the dryer plug because we have a gas dryer, so only the cable snaking from the laundry room would have been inconvenient. The electrician ended up able to install the HPWC about 2 weeks before the car got here because he had a cancellation. The electricians that are on Tesla's recommended list for Portland are very busy installing HPWCs.