Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to do window tinting in Puget Sound area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want it done right, go pro and get ceramic tint. Lasts pretty much forever and won't turn purple or peel/bubble. Accutint is a good place in Seattle and there's also a small shop in Bothell called Darkside I always take my cars to. Carlos there does great work at a pretty reasonable price. I usually get 30% all around.

Reactions: james2441139
Check out Jay's Auto Tint in Kirkland too. For the Y, I've done a ton of research and would recommend the following:

Front: 20 - 25% (rear windows are colored at about 24%, though windshield brings in lots of light, meaning going a little darker is OK for the front two)
Rears and Hatch: 70% (they're only smoked, not tinted - so 70%, which is basically clear, will help block more UV and IR and keep the car even more comfortable)

I agree re: getting ceramic. Brand won't matter much as long as it's 3M, Suntek, Xpel, etc.

Also, if you have the white interior, going darker on the tint will help if the privacy angle is important to you.

Reactions: james2441139
Ah, I just actually looked it up and it's 24%, though IMO, anything darker than 30% makes it more difficult to see during those dark winters we have and in heavy rain at night.
Yes I am planning to go 30% all around. One question: does the ceramic tint have any adverse effect on doing it for the rear window? Read somewhere that it could interfere with the electronics?

Yes I am planning to go 30% all around. One question: does the ceramic tint have any adverse effect on doing it for the rear window? Read somewhere that it could interfere with the electronics?
One semi-unrelated note of caution. People have had issues with tint and electronics when tinting the front windshield. Because so much water is needed when applying the tint, it can get under the dash and into electronics therein. Installers will usually still give it a go if you insist, but make you sign a waiver given the high level of risk. That said, the rear window shouldn't have nearly as much there, so I think the risk is far far lower and it's much more common to tint that, particularly on the 3 where the rear window wasn't (and still isn't?) completely smoked.

Reactions: Genie
FWIW to those around Seattle, I just had my front windows tinted at Jay's Tint Shop in Kirkland. The parking lot literally had 4-5 other Teslas getting tint done that day, so these guys know how to get the right look with these cars. A perfect match is 24-25%, but would look noticeably lighter from the outside due to ambient light from windshield and roof glass. I ended up following their recommendation and going with 18% on the fronts. Yes, it will be dark at night (and he warned me on this) but I am used to it from my other cars. The look from the outside is perfect. Highly recommend them for anyone local looking at doing this.

And yes, I am planning to get the wheels powder coated when I swap over to winter tires later this month ;-)

IMG_9790.png
IMG_9791.png