Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to find NMD90 6/3 in these times.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to run 40' of NMD90 6/3 from main panel to garage for a 14-50 plug.

Can't find stock anywhere in the GTA (Ontario). Checked big box and a few local suppliers.

I was able to find 8/3 NMD90 and may go with that. I will be using a mobile charger on the 14-50 so drawing 32A.

I'll be putting in a 40A breaker with the 8/3.

Any ideas where I can source some nmd90 6/3 before I get the 8/3? Wanted to run 6/3 to future proof but with supply issues I might not have a choice.

Nmd90 8/3 is good for 50A at 75c. 55A at 90c.

So regardless max circuit is 50A. I guess it would still be safe to continuously charge at 40A with a 50A breaker (80% continuous)
All NM cable is limited to it's 60C rating. If you run individual RW-90 wires in conduit, then you can bump up to the 75C rating, which is the max rating of most breakers.

You could also look at some 4-6 awg Aluminum wire if the price of copper is putting you off, but just keep in mind that you need to be very careful with the terminations and Tesla wall connectors technically don't support aluminum conductors.

No Canadian code, but NEC does state that "NM cable mat be used for both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 90C, with ampacity limited to that of 60C connectors"
More to the point, why would you pull 3 core for a dedicated 240V circuit?

Some of the recent changes to the Canadian code technically allow the 75C rating on NM (seemingly by omission), but it still seems to be a topic of debate and I've yet to find a clear cut answer saying it's allowed. What ultimately matters is the opinion of your local codes officer, so call before you install.
When was this recent change? 75c rating has always been allowed in Canada for as long as I can remember.