Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to get accessory power with new 2022 lithium 12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Datbird

Feb 26, 2022
Usa
Hi,
I am new to this forum and I need help regarding new 12v lithium battery. I have a 2022 M3LR and don't know where is a good 12v connection. I plan to install power frunk from Hansshow V5 kit. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Reactions: FalconFour
I dont understand this question. What does wanting a new 12V LITHIUM battery for the model 3 (which would be an aftermarket battery) have to do with a 12V connection for a power frunk kit?
I thought that the newest 3's were coming with a 15.5V lithium battery from the factory, but maybe that's only the ones made in europe/china.

And to OP, I'd think that Hannshow would tell you where to find 12V(or 15.5V). In fact, I'd think there'd be a plug and play solution.

I thought that the newest 3's were coming with a 15.5V lithium battery from the factory, but maybe that's only the ones made in europe/china.

And to OP, I'd think that Hannshow would tell you where to find 12V(or 15.5V). In fact, I'd think there'd be a plug and play solution.
Model 3s (and Ys) newer than "some date in Feb 2022" (which I dont know, but think its like Feb 14th), are supposed to come with a 15.5v Lithium battery. This is happening in the US now too, although first it started off in China a bit earlier. The OP mentions they have a 2022, but they may have one that has the same 12v we have in our older ones.

The new 15.5v is reportedly not a drop in type replacement, so if one has the "older" (pre feb 2022 ish) 12v battery, replacing it with a lithium would need to be an aftermarket.

A better thread title may be "where to get accessory power with new 2022 lithium 12v battery". (a thread title should summarize everything about the post, not "introduce" the thread). The thread title as it is makes it sound like you're looking to upgrade with an aftermarket battery (though the first post makes it all more clear).

I don't know for sure, but I'm skeptical of installing anything on the 12v battery. If it needs to be always-on, there ought to be a better place to put it than directly on the battery (that's kind of a no-no, no matter what year it is - though aftermarket accessories tend to ignorantly abuse that anyway). 🤔

A better thread title may be "where to get accessory power with new 2022 lithium 12v battery". (a thread title should summarize everything about the post, not "introduce" the thread). The thread title as it is makes it sound like you're looking to upgrade with an aftermarket battery (though the first post makes it all more clear).

I don't know for sure, but I'm skeptical of installing anything on the 12v battery. If it needs to be always-on, there ought to be a better place to put it than directly on the battery (that's kind of a no-no, no matter what year it is - though aftermarket accessories tend to ignorantly abuse that anyway). 🤔

Thanks for the thread title suggestion. Changed as you suggested, with the exception that I changed "12V" to "15.5V" since the new OEM lithium is 15.5v.

Thanks for the thread title suggestion. Changed as you suggested, with the exception that I changed "12V" to "15.5V" since the new OEM lithium is 15.5v.
Though confusingly the actual battery still says 12v on the sticker

tesla-model-s-plaid-12-v-lithium-battery-source-ingineerix.jpg

I suggest that 12v is a more appropriate name for it, as we could argue a bit about specific voltages ;) 3.7v nominal * 4 cell internal construction of the new battery = 14.8v 😂 And 4.1v*4 = 16.4v fully charged, I'd think? I think everyone still calls it 12v.

A fair bit of OT, but all in hopes of getting enough attention to find someone with a good answer. haha.

If it were me, I'd be asking Hansshow to give a good solution.

In this video (around 12:00), there's reference to a positive terminal break-out that's meant to be used for jump starting. I'd suspect this is the closest analogy to the battery terminals of the old lead 12v.

Given that the new battery has tons more brains, and a digital connection, it may actually be more appropriate to connect accessories to this battery than it was in the past -- the battery itself now knows its SOC% and charge/discharge current, so the car no longer needs to treat the battery as an untouchable "unknown". Could be a good thing.

I just hope Hansshow knows the circuitry needs to withstand up to 16.4v 👀😮 Lead batteries usually max out at 14.4v, so 15v is the most that 12v accessories are normally tested to.

I suggest that 12v is a more appropriate name for it, as we could argue a bit about specific voltages ;) 3.7v nominal * 4 cell internal construction of the new battery = 14.8v 😂 And 4.1v*4 = 16.4v fully charged, I'd think? I think everyone still calls it 12v.

A fair bit of OT, but all in hopes of getting enough attention to find someone with a good answer. haha.

If it were me, I'd be asking Hansshow to give a good solution.

In this video (around 12:00), there's reference to a positive terminal break-out that's meant to be used for jump starting. I'd suspect this is the closest analogy to the battery terminals of the old lead 12v.

Given that the new battery has tons more brains, and a digital connection, it may actually be more appropriate to connect accessories to this battery than it was in the past -- the battery itself now knows its SOC% and charge/discharge current, so the car no longer needs to treat the battery as an untouchable "unknown". Could be a good thing.

I just hope Hansshow knows the circuitry needs to withstand up to 16.4v 👀😮 Lead batteries usually max out at 14.4v, so 15v is the most that 12v accessories are normally tested to.

I changed it back to 12V (in thread title) per your recommendation.

• Love
Just remember that this is likely a LiFePO4 chemistry; which means a charging voltage of about 3.65 V per cell (vs. 4.2V for other Lithium Ion type batteries), and a nominal voltage of about 3.2V per cell (vs. 3.6 or 3.7 V for other Lithium Ion type batteries). So, maximum charging voltage for a 4-cell pack should be about 14.6V. Not sure where 15.5V is coming from.

Just remember that this is likely a LiFePO4 chemistry; which means a charging voltage of about 3.65 V per cell (vs. 4.2V for other Lithium Ion type batteries), and a nominal voltage of about 3.2V per cell (vs. 3.6 or 3.7 V for other Lithium Ion type batteries). So, maximum charging voltage for a 4-cell pack should be about 14.6V. Not sure where 15.5V is coming from.
It has been shown that the new Tesla Lithium accessory battery is NOT LiFePO4. It has NMC cells made by CATL.

As above... it makes no sense, but Tesla chose NMC cells and the pack is made by CATL. That video I posted ... to which you replied ... goes into that detail 😂 (though not sure if it was in the 1st or 2nd part)

I completely agree that LFP would have made more sense and I absolutely cannot comprehend why they chose to go with NMC instead of LFP, so it's a fair counter-argument, but one dispelled by the video.

In theory there's no reason a powered frunk should need always-on 12v power (please don't fit a foot sensor to the frunk, even if its possible), but getting switched power from the frunk might be a challenge. You'd presumably have to extend the power cable into the cabin, through the firewall somehow (pre-heatpump cars had a useful rubber grommet for this) and tap into it somewhere.

Tesla officially says that switched 12v should be tapped from the cigarette lighter circuit, although people do tap into VCLEFT or VCRIGHT points.