Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to get wheel studs for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2014 Model S, and was going to have 2 new tires installed, but the installer pointed out that several of the lug nuts were stripped. He said to go to a trusted mechanic and have them take care of it.

My local mechanic can get lug nuts, but not the wheel studs. They are happy to take care of it, if I can get the wheel studs. I've looked online, and can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is this something I have to have Tesla do?

Any ideas on whether the lug studs would likely need to be replaced?

The issue is with the outside of the lug nuts (as appears to be common with early Model S's),
I’d it’s only the lug nuts themselves that are externally stripped/rounded, the studs are fine. Easy test is to hand tighten. If you don’t run into any resistance, you’re good to go.

Just an update (venting!) on this.

I brought the case to the local mechanic, whose receptionist called to say they couldn't get "the part" -- but couldn't tell me any more, so they may not even have looked at it.

My inspection sticker expires at the end of the month, and the tires are in pretty bad shape, so I figured I'd just go ahead and pay Tesla to replace them.

But, the 2 closest Tesla service centers are fully booked (won't let me schedule a time), and I have to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment over an hour's drive away. Yikes.

I'm thinking I'll probably call a few more local mechanics and just ask if they can replace the lugnuts (without saying they are worn; I think the local mechanic heard "stripped" and assumed the lugnuts were stripped and therefore the wheel studs were as well).

Studs can get damaged. But it's an easy fix if you can find the parts. Check with OReilly's, NAPA, Autozone. Take in a sample if it's not in their database, and they can match it up. They'll have the nuts too.

Jack the car and prop with a stand. Remove the wheel, brake caliper(s) and rotor. There naked before you will be the hub. Put a nut on a damaged stud so it's flush with the end of the stud, rotate the hub so there's free space behind the stud, and whang away at it with a hand sledge. (It's force-fit in) It will (eventually) pop out the back. Put in the new stud and reassemble everything. Tighten the nut with the new stud until it stops; you are pulling the new stud into place. Make sure you've done this completely or the nut will come-a-loose.

Just to follow up on this...

When I went to pick up my car, after being told they couldn't do it, I spoke to the mechanic directly. He seemed to get what the issue was (he knew about the Fords that have the funky 2-piece lugnuts like Tesla, that are a poor design -- there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for that). I bought a set of 20 lugnuts, and he got the old ones off and put the new ones on for me without any issues.

It sounds like if the wheel studs become an issue, it could be a more costly repair than necessary, but this was a really miscommunication between me and the shop.

Just to follow up on this...

When I went to pick up my car, after being told they couldn't do it, I spoke to the mechanic directly. He seemed to get what the issue was (he knew about the Fords that have the funky 2-piece lugnuts like Tesla, that are a poor design -- there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for that). I bought a set of 20 lugnuts, and he got the old ones off and put the new ones on for me without any issues.

It sounds like if the wheel studs become an issue, it could be a more costly repair than necessary, but this was a really miscommunication between me and the shop.
Do you mind to share where you got lug nuts for your Tesla? I have the same issue

Do you mind to share where you got lug nuts for your Tesla? I have the same issue
I bought these: https://a.co/d/d5hFiuQ
The 25 was pretty much as cheap as 20 (was $30 then, seems to be $35 now), so I figured I'd have a few extra. They're great. I highly recommend them, best $30 spent on the car -- I've had soooo many of the crappy stock ones fail. I also like the looks of these better than the sort of "stepped" look ones that were a tiny bit cheaper.

Edit: heh, looks like the same thing I said in 2021 in post #5.

Also, they have black too if that's your jam. I like the look of polished chrome on black wheels, personally. Here's their full selection:

Last edited:
If your studs are getting damaged, very good chance it's from some tire jockey using an impact wrench to put on your lug nuts so they can feel like they are on a NASCAR pit crew.

IMO, an impact wrench has no place in putting on lug nuts, even with those torque limiting sticks.