Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to get wheel studs for Model S?

rscott0

Jul 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I've got a 2014 Model S, and was going to have 2 new tires installed, but the installer pointed out that several of the lug nuts were stripped. He said to go to a trusted mechanic and have them take care of it.

My local mechanic can get lug nuts, but not the wheel studs. They are happy to take care of it, if I can get the wheel studs. I've looked online, and can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is this something I have to have Tesla do?

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Tesla will only sell you a new hub and bearing assembly. I doubt there‘s anything special about the studs, but finding their specs might be difficult, as you’ve determined.

rscott0

Jul 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Any ideas on whether the lug studs would likely need to be replaced?

The issue is with the outside of the lug nuts (as appears to be common with early Model S's),

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Any ideas on whether the lug studs would likely need to be replaced?

The issue is with the outside of the lug nuts (as appears to be common with early Model S's),
I’d it’s only the lug nuts themselves that are externally stripped/rounded, the studs are fine. Easy test is to hand tighten. If you don’t run into any resistance, you’re good to go.

rscott0

Jul 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Just an update (venting!) on this.

I brought the case to the local mechanic, whose receptionist called to say they couldn't get "the part" -- but couldn't tell me any more, so they may not even have looked at it.

My inspection sticker expires at the end of the month, and the tires are in pretty bad shape, so I figured I'd just go ahead and pay Tesla to replace them.

But, the 2 closest Tesla service centers are fully booked (won't let me schedule a time), and I have to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment over an hour's drive away. Yikes.

I'm thinking I'll probably call a few more local mechanics and just ask if they can replace the lugnuts (without saying they are worn; I think the local mechanic heard "stripped" and assumed the lugnuts were stripped and therefore the wheel studs were as well).

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Just stop by any Discount/America’s Tire or other reputable tire shop and they’ll take care of you in a few mins. It’s just lug nuts we’re talking about here.

rooter

May 13, 2018
Edmonds, WA
Studs can get damaged. But it's an easy fix if you can find the parts. Check with OReilly's, NAPA, Autozone. Take in a sample if it's not in their database, and they can match it up. They'll have the nuts too.

Jack the car and prop with a stand. Remove the wheel, brake caliper(s) and rotor. There naked before you will be the hub. Put a nut on a damaged stud so it's flush with the end of the stud, rotate the hub so there's free space behind the stud, and whang away at it with a hand sledge. (It's force-fit in) It will (eventually) pop out the back. Put in the new stud and reassemble everything. Tighten the nut with the new stud until it stops; you are pulling the new stud into place. Make sure you've done this completely or the nut will come-a-loose.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC