TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where to go to get calipers painted?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by yobigd20, Nov 11, 2013.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I want to get my brake calipers painted red as I've seen many others on these forums and they look sweeet. But I am not familiar with any custom shops that'll do this in our area. I'm from South Jersey, but anywheres from Philly through NJ up to NYC would probably work. Any recommendations?

2. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

Yes! I need this too :)

3. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

Same here too...I'm in the Hamptons, and we just don't have shops out here that do work like that.

4. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I live in west Chester, just west of Philly. Have lots of contacts for stuff like this. I'll find out and post. I want to get mine painted as well.

5. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

6. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

Great! My calipers need some red!

7. TheAustin

FYI, Tesla is now offering red brake calipers during the factory build.

8. yobigd20

yes, doesnt help current owners though. I asked ownership about them, and they said you'd have to talk to service about purchasing the parts. I think someone else on these forums checks the price and they were $500/caliper. Not going to pay $2000 for red calipers. Rather just have someone paint them.

9. TheAustin

Agreed, just sharing the info...I figured there would be a way for service to get involved, but yes, $2K is a lot for red calipers...Any idea how much it would cost to just have them painted? Taking into account that there wil be labor costs associated with that painting (jacking the car up, removing the wheels, removing the calipers, the actual painting and logo decal transfer, and then reinstalling them, wheels back on, etc)...I can't see all of that work costing radically less, but I don't really know, I've not had any custom work done on my previous cars before.

10. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Well, the quote I got from my goto place was $500 per caliper for painting. I'll pass.

11. yobigd20

I believe that's the same price per caliper for buying the red ones new straight from Tesla, lol. That quote you got was totally a rip off.

12. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

It's a pretty easy thing to DIY if you're up for getting a little dirty. $10 high temp spray can and an afternoon.

13. Daniel Scherer

Daniel Scherer Junior Member

Spray Can of Red and Silver Krylon, painters tape, wire brush to ruff up the paint and about 2 hours of work.

No Wheel.jpg Side view.jpg