Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet myself, but it looks like it should work.
Further disclaimer: Don't blame me if a rear-seat passenger is harmed.

The black plastic backs of the front seats have two fairly flat planes, one towards the top that is angled top-forward, and just below that, angled bottom-forward. I believe you could put a 3M Command Strip large clear hook on either surface. I'd use the lower one, so that the jacket hangs straight provided that that is high enough up for your jackets. Holds up to 4 pounds, which should be enough for a jacket and an extra shirt.
Nice solution! But it may not work with Performance owners who have something wrong with their right foot :p

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet myself, but it looks like it should work.
Further disclaimer: Don't blame me if a rear-seat passenger is harmed.

The black plastic backs of the front seats have two fairly flat planes, one towards the top that is angled top-forward, and just below that, angled bottom-forward. I believe you could put a 3M Command Strip large clear hook on either surface. I'd use the lower one, so that the jacket hangs straight provided that that is high enough up for your jackets. Holds up to 4 pounds, which should be enough for a jacket and an extra shirt.

Brilliant Robert.Boston! I've used those 3M Command Strip hooks to hang relatively heavy items. Depending on the surface they stick incredibly well and come off without a trace.

I gave Ownership Experience a work around for the hanging a coat/dry cleaning. I didn't read all the pages in this thread to see if someone else came up with the same idea. What I told them was that where the rear seat reading lights are, that they could go back to their plastic injection molder and make a new housing for the rear reading light that includes a trough or hook. Its a simple and cheap fix without ruining any aspect of the interior. It does not hurt functionality either, because obviously no one is trying to use the reading light if there is dry cleaning hanging there.

I agree with other poster that grab handles are not optional. That is not an easy fix. Frankly, I do think they should be offering to come install grab handles for anyone that wants them. But, if they won't do that, the fix that I suggested should be super easy.

The Fisker Karma has those nice spring retractable coat hooks mounted to the headrests. Can't they be installed on the seat backs. Perfect solution, and Fisker probably has thousands they'd like to sell...

fisker-karma-front-seats.jpeg

Two Possible Coat Hanging Solution

Both fairly discrete and low key.

#1 - taped to roll-bar covering
Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown-5.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg

Hooks applied with 3M Very High Bond double sided tape - probably hold up to 5 lbs. for jackets

CS Hyde 3M 4941 Very High Bond Conformable Acrylic Foam Tape, Double-Sided VHB Acrylic Adhesive, Liner, 45 mil Thick, Dark Grey, 0.5 Scientific

#2 - hooked over side headliner
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

No tape required - probably hold up to 10 lbs. for garment bags (don't think either will interfere with air bag deployment)
Both types of hooks and 3M tape available from Amazon

Both fairly discrete and low key.

#1 - taped to roll-bar covering
View attachment 19743View attachment 19744View attachment 19745
Hooks applied with 3M Very High Bond double sided tape - probably hold up to 5 lbs. for jackets

CS Hyde 3M 4941 Very High Bond Conformable Acrylic Foam Tape, Double-Sided VHB Acrylic Adhesive, Liner, 45 mil Thick, Dark Grey, 0.5 Scientific

#2 - hooked over side headliner

No tape required - probably hold up to 10 lbs. for garment bags (don't think either will interfere with air bag deployment)
Both types of hooks and 3M tape available from Amazon

I really like that first idea. Looks like I'm going to get some 3M sticky hooks

I am SO pissed off about this coat hook issue. Pano roof people have found a solution but I don't have a pano roof. I tried the 3M hook sticker on the back of the drivers seat but found two major problems. 1. It's too low so your suit coat's bottom 1/3 is on the floor. 2. Even following the instructions exactly by the second day the suitcoat pulled the hook off.

Musk wears suits. It's beyond ridiculous. Total price pushed $80,000 I shouldn't have to use duck tape and bailing wire to hang a suitcoat.

So I'm calling Fremont and complaining right to the top. If nothing else they can send me the drawings for that portion of the car so my drill bit doesn't hit an airbag.

Im an a$&h&@% lawyer, I'm used to arguing and intend to get a garment hook. Ill let you know how it goes.

If you commute alongside HOV lanes and tend to be a solo driver the solution is obvious: mount a dummy in one of the seats and dress him/her with your coats. A hat would look nice, too. Then you can be 'heavily occupied' without suffering attitude from backseat drivers.
--

I am SO pissed off about this coat hook issue. Pano roof people have found a solution but I don't have a pano roof. I tried the 3M hook sticker on the back of the drivers seat but found two major problems. 1. It's too low so your suit coat's bottom 1/3 is on the floor. 2. Even following the instructions exactly by the second day the suitcoat pulled the hook off.

Musk wears suits. It's beyond ridiculous. Total price pushed $80,000 I shouldn't have to use duck tape and bailing wire to hang a suitcoat.

So I'm calling Fremont and complaining right to the top. If nothing else they can send me the drawings for that portion of the car so my drill bit doesn't hit an airbag.

Im an a$&h&@% lawyer, I'm used to arguing and intend to get a garment hook. Ill let you know how it goes.

Lay it down in the trunk. Not sure what you being a lawyer will resovle anything. If having a coat hanger is such a big deal you should not have bought the car

+1
Is it an oversight, yes. Is it a crisis? Well, not for me at least and I wear a suit coat. Never used the hook in my Audi except to carry dry cleaning.

Oh yes. I hear this logic a lot these days. As long as I get my social security check and Medicare benefits, who cares about my grandkids, they can fend for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Lay it down in the trunk. Not sure what you being a lawyer will resovle anything. If having a coat hanger is such a big deal you should not have bought the car

Well, in my case the hook is a big deal known only after the fact. I was focusing on sustainability, battery and options. I didn't ask if the car came with a steering wheel, brakes or a coat hanger. In life you come to assume certain things, it is quite startling when a given proves to be false, thus the reactions.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, in my case the hook is a big deal known only after the fact. I was focusing on sustainability, battery and options. I didn't ask if the car came with a steering wheel, brakes or a coat hanger. In life you come to assume certain things, it is quite startling when a given proves to be false, thus the reactions.

Oh yes. I hear this logic a lot these days. As long as I get my social security check and Medicare benefits, who cares about my grandkids, they can fend for themselves.

What am I missing here? You're equating a 'you bought the car without a coat hook and now are demanding one' with 'as long as I get my cash, my grandkids are on their own'???

What am I missing here? You're equating a 'you bought the car without a coat hook and now are demanding one' with 'as long as I get my cash, my grandkids are on their own'???

Eh, if that's his expectation and it's at that level of importance (coat hook=steering wheel) than that's fine. My point is that's a few standard deviations outside of the norm. To each their own. My opinion is just one more data point on the bell curve.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You know what they say, "Assumptions are the mother of al ....-..."

If coat hooks were a big deal you should have done the due diligence before making the purchase. In any case, you still have options:
1. Create a solution and implement
2. Sell the car