Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to hide or stash a key card on the outside of the vehicle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have stashed a card on the outside of my vehicle for emergencies. I'm wondering whether anyone else does this or how or where they stash the card. Doing things like skiing, swimming, kayaking, several day hiking trips especially if you've done a car shuttle, Or just going to a beach where your stuff could get stolen are all situations where I might want a back up method to get in and get going.

I guess there are two kinds of stashing - one is leaving the key on the car to use when you get back and the second is to securely stash the card in a way where you could get it in an emergency. I've done both. Sometimes it's as simple as leaving a card on top of a tire. I'll do this if hiking or running. I'm not that worried someone would find it. If they do, they still couldn't drive away since the card is PIN protected. An anyone who is likely to steal something is almost nearly as likely to just do a smash and grab... it would be cheaper for me if they found the card! Have people found any magic hiding places? For this method I might try and see if there is an out of the way spot where a magnet could hold the card - I'm thinking the trailer hitch?

The other thing I've done is to securely tape a card onto the outside of the vehicle in a pretty safe place with Gorilla Tape so that there is always a key in emergencies. I live in an area where there isn't always cell service, and as recent Tesla Network outages have shown you might not always be in luck even with your phone and cell coverage. I do a lot of backcountry skiing in the winter and have had my phone die in the cold. Being the last people to return to a remote trailhead in the cold and not have access to the car could be life threatening. I'm pretty sure the card is sealed up enough that exposure to moisture and salt won't cause it to fail.

The other option I've looked into the is RFID ring.

Other thoughts or options?

I have Ottostick magnetic front license plate holder on my model 3. It uses magnets to the OEM front plate bracket in place. To anyone looking at the car, it looks 100% oem. But if you grab the plate and tug it will pull right off. I taped a plastic card sleeve to the back of the front license plate bracket. It takes about 20 seconds to pull of the plate, slip a keycard in the slieve, and reinstall the plate.

But you live in a state that doesn't require a front plate, and Ottostick doesn't make a version for the Y. So that won't help you too much.

How about hiding a keycard behind the trailer hitch cover on the back bumper?

So I have stashed a card on the outside of my vehicle for emergencies. I'm wondering whether anyone else does this or how or where they stash the card. Doing things like skiing, swimming, kayaking, several day hiking trips especially if you've done a car shuttle, Or just going to a beach where your stuff could get stolen are all situations where I might want a back up method to get in and get going.

I guess there are two kinds of stashing - one is leaving the key on the car to use when you get back and the second is to securely stash the card in a way where you could get it in an emergency. I've done both. Sometimes it's as simple as leaving a card on top of a tire. I'll do this if hiking or running. I'm not that worried someone would find it. If they do, they still couldn't drive away since the card is PIN protected. An anyone who is likely to steal something is almost nearly as likely to just do a smash and grab... it would be cheaper for me if they found the card! Have people found any magic hiding places? For this method I might try and see if there is an out of the way spot where a magnet could hold the card - I'm thinking the trailer hitch?

The other thing I've done is to securely tape a card onto the outside of the vehicle in a pretty safe place with Gorilla Tape so that there is always a key in emergencies. I live in an area where there isn't always cell service, and as recent Tesla Network outages have shown you might not always be in luck even with your phone and cell coverage. I do a lot of backcountry skiing in the winter and have had my phone die in the cold. Being the last people to return to a remote trailhead in the cold and not have access to the car could be life threatening. I'm pretty sure the card is sealed up enough that exposure to moisture and salt won't cause it to fail.

The other option I've looked into the is RFID ring.

Other thoughts or options?
I guess you have a point there if everything get stolen you still have a cardkey hiding outside the car. just so you know, your phone key should still work even if network is down or you don't have cell signal. it's bluetooth based and network issue won't affect it.

Above the front shock is a plastic piece with a hole in it, it drains water from the frunk plastic cover near the windshield. Take the plastic cover off under the trunk, tie a zip tie to a RFID ring and let it hang down 1-2" from the plastic piece at the top of the shock tower and tape the RFID ring to the top of the plastic cover. If you look under the wheel wheel, you can grab the 1-2" piece of zip tie and pull the RFID ring out of the tape and access the ring and the car.

Above the front shock is a plastic piece with a hole in it, it drains water from the frunk plastic cover near the windshield. Take the plastic cover off under the trunk, tie a zip tie to a RFID ring and let it hang down 1-2" from the plastic piece at the top of the shock tower and tape the RFID ring to the top of the plastic cover. If you look under the wheel wheel, you can grab the 1-2" piece of zip tie and pull the RFID ring out of the tape and access the ring and the car.
I'll have to check that out

You might if you were a surfer.
What I do (Model 3 but same situation) is I have a spare RFID card with me when I am surfing - around my neck in a silicone lanyard inside my wetsuit in winter, and zippered in my boardshorts pocket in the summer. I have my phone locked inside the car with its Bluetooth turned off, AND I also have an Apple Watch app that can lock/unlock my car and I wear my watch for surf tracking anyway. The RFID card is a safety fallback for if I lose/break my watch, its battery runs out, bad LTE connection or anything like that.

I surf about 5 days a week year round and have done that with my Tesla since I got it the start of this year with no problems at all.

I keep my keycard well hidden. It's in my wallet. Luckily, I don't go surfing.

And again, in 60 years of driving, I've never had a car stolen, and with the Tesla anyone stealing my car would have to find a key. Even then, I could follow their every move on my phone, tell the police exactly where the car was at any moment, and watch as they got arrested. This all sounds like serious paranoia.