Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to hover foot at a stop -brake or accelerator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having this argument with my husband since we bought our Model Y a few months ago. I maintain that it's better to hover or even place your foot on the brake pedal at a stop sign to prevent an accidental forward motion. I say that because my husband has a tendency to "creep" the car forward and isn't even aware he's pressing the accelerator. (Ironically, he used to do this in our old ICE car, when his foot was on the brake.). Furthermore, if he's jarred or distracted (surely not by me!) he might put pressure on the peda and ram someone. He samaintains that he's protecting the brake calipers -- but I hear that once the car is fulled stopped (by regenerative braking) , even if you press on the brake, you will not wear them out. Am I right? Is my way safer? (Perhaps only if you are married to a "creeper"!!)

Protecting the brake calipers from what? They are designed to be used. And in fact would get more corroded if not used. The car already applies the friction brakes at a full stop to hold the car.

I keep my foot on the floor until just before the light is about to change then I hold it over the accelerator to prepare to move.

I’ve seen other Teslas who probably keep their foot on the accelerator because they start creeping very slowly and/or the brake lights go crazy flickering on and off constantly. Your foot should not be touching the pedal at all if you hold it over the accelerator at a stop light. But it’s probably safer to hold the brake or just leave your foot on the floor.

This is pretty funny! I have the stopping mode in my car set to Hold, so once the wheels stop turning it is not going anywhere, unless I press the accelerator. My foot is either on or hovers above the accelerator (actually I rest it against the center console to keep my foot off it). The only time I use the brake is if the regen braking will not stop the car before hitting something. After coming to a stop I then return foot to the resting position noted above.

You should drive the way you see best, and he should drive the way he chooses as well.

While both of your techniques seem like they would be effective, I would chose to hover over the brake once I judged that regenerative braking may not be sufficient.

Latest autopilot will apply the brake force automatically if selected, to bring your car to a full stop.

Reactions: Pianewman
This is pretty funny! I have the stopping mode in my car set to Hold, so once the wheels stop turning it is not going anywhere, unless I press the accelerator. My foot is either on or hovers above the accelerator (actually I rest it against the center console to keep my foot off it). The only time I use the brake is if the regen braking will not stop the car before hitting something. After coming to a stop I then return foot to the resting position noted above.
in my experience the wife is always right :)

i recently changed from "Hold" to "Roll" because i wanted to control exactly how much the friction brake is doing... but if i use the brake to come to a complete stop the car continues to "hold" anyway... if im rolling up to a slightly uphill light or stop sign i can stop and start to roll backwards without ever using friction brake

if he is on "Roll" then what you are asking would mean your method is likely safer

if he runs on "Hold" then the car will stop and use the friction brakes as soon as his foot is off the accelerator to come to a complete stop and Holds it stopped

does not sound like he's running on "Creep" mode otherwise he'd have his foot on the brake i would think else he'd never stop

i could see a scenario where "Roll" and he is sitting without the brake holding could be safer if say a giant truck rear ends you through the intersection... allowing the car to move forward could reduce the impact force but more likely leaves you susceptible to smashing into something else

Sounds like your husband has a twitchy foot and in his case it would be better to have him keep his foot on the brake. (And no, it doesn't wear out the brakes.)
I don't have this problem. I rarely put my foot on the brake pedal. I use one pedal driving all of the time (which applies the brake "hold" when the car stops) and only use the brake when I misjudge the stopping distance.

Put the car in Hold mode.
When coming to a stop you can let the car regen by letting slightly off accellerator.
When you come to the stopping point, if you need to use the brake you use it. Then when your car enters brake hold, move your foot away from both pedals. When light comes green, just put foot on pedal again.
Never rest the foot on pedals when in brake hold :)

IIRC, doesn't "Hold" release after "x" number of seconds? I think I've felt it do that while at an extended stop, as in a drive-through fast food.

I agree with the "foot ON the brake, gently, while stopped...EVERY TIME!" concept of defensive driving. I understand this is probably "old school" training, but that's what I was taught, and what my now 24 and 21 year old children were taught (by driving school)

Two reasons:

1) Brake likes should be ON when stopped at a light.
2) Getting rear-ended at a traffic light causes you to move forward. Yes, this does happen in the real world of "accidents."

I know from experience. Sitting #2 at a traffic light, I was rear ended by a 35mph vehicle. I saw it coming, and having the brake applied saved me from totaling my car with front-end damage. (1987 Audi 4000S).

Last edited:
IIRC, doesn't "Hold" release after "x" number of seconds? I think I've felt it do that while at an extended stop, as in a drive-through fast food.

I agree with the "foot ON the brake, gently, while stopped...EVERY TIME!" concept of defensive driving. I understand this is probably "old school" training, but that's what I was taught, and what my now 24 and 21 year old children were taught (by driving school)

Two reasons:

1) Brake likes should be ON when stopped at a light.
2) Getting rear-ended at a traffic light causes you to move forward. Yes, this does happen in the real world of "accidents."

I know from experience. Sitting #2 at a traffic light, I was rear ended by a 35mph vehicle. I saw it coming, and having the brake applied saved me from totaling my car with front-end damage. (1987 Audi 4000S).
The "Hold" does apply the brakes... that what holds the car.
I've never heard of the hold releasing the brakes. Never happened to me.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I would be nice if the touchscreen shows an icon indicating breaking in progress (slowing down to stop) and complete stop.
The break light shown on the back of the ego is too small and too low to see.
You can see it in the regen, as well as the picture of the car will show that lights are on.
When the car is in hold, you see the (H).

When in hold, you do not want to touch brake pedal by accident, so move foot away :)
The car will engage brake lights as long as you decrease in speed over a certain treshold, if that is by braking or regen.

Reactions: Kupe and mspohr
Are the mechanical brakes applied in "hold" or simply the braking of the electric motors?

I agree, if you brush the brake pedal by accident, it disengages the "hold" function.

In a rear-end situation, I'd still prefer to have MY foot fully on the brakes.

Are the mechanical brakes applied in "hold" or simply the braking of the electric motors?

I agree, if you brush the brake pedal by accident, it disengages the "hold" function.

In a rear-end situation, I'd still prefer to have MY foot fully on the brakes.
Friction brakes are applied.

Pushing the brake pedal while on brake hold does not cancel brake hold. You can push and release the brake pedal and it will still hold.

Reactions: mspohr
Friction brakes are applied.

Pushing the brake pedal while on brake hold does not cancel brake hold. You can push and release the brake pedal and it will still hold.
Pushing and releasing the brake does turn off hold and disengages the friction brakes temporarily. The car is still held in place by the motor and if you don't do anything for a few seconds it re-engages the friction brakes.

You can see it in the regen, as well as the picture of the car will show that lights are on.
When the car is in hold, you see the (H).

When in hold, you do not want to touch brake pedal by accident, so move foot away :)
The car will engage brake lights as long as you decrease in speed over a certain treshold, if that is by braking or regen.
The regen bar is tiny and it's not obvious to a low tech, old person. Tesla cars should not be built only for the young and techies. Users of any age and technical knowledge should feel comfortable with what the car doing. Better UX design is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobw