Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to mount candy bar style fastrak transponder in M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The transponder you want is the FasTrak Flex, which is the switchable model.
In fact the one you want if you drive in the Bay area is the dedicated FasTrak CAV tag. See here.
The company hired to run FasTrak (it used to be Xerox, don't know if it still is) is incompetent/evil and will try everything they can to keep your erroneously deducted money. Make sure you do everything in writing, and if they pull their usual s***, take it to your local TV station "On Your Side" (or whatever the TV ombudsman is called). Up here, there's a huge lawsuit about incorrect tolls/fines, FastTrak is trying to keep all the proceedings secret, and our "On Your Side" guy is at court often.
Never had a problem with them (including getting a refund for an erroneous charge).

The readers on 237 do actually work (at least the ones in eastbound direction). They just don't make the transponder beep. I believe this is intentional, to make it not too obvious where the readers are (because you could easily cheat by changing lanes in those spots since there are large sections with no solid line separating the express lane).

I have my tag mounted on the windshield to the right of the mirror and so far have always received the 50% discount.
Is your orientation vertical or horizontal?
Possible to post a picture?

I have the decal front license “plate” so the front tag isn’t an option for me. I’ve mounted mine immediately in front of the crossbeam between the front and rear seats as pictured by those with the Otto clip. I had long issues with non-detection on the front window until I moved it. Now it works on the 680, Bay Bridge, and other area roads

Whoa, stickers?
Yep, I have mine mounted at the front center of the front glass panel. It's about 1 inch by 3 inches. No issues with it to date and certainly works better than my old transponder.

fastrak sticker.jpg

The company hired to run FasTrak (it used to be Xerox, don't know if it still is) is incompetent/evil and will try everything they can to keep your erroneously deducted money.
True.

The transponder you want is the FasTrak Flex, which is the switchable model. You set that permanently to the three position once you have your CAV decals mounted.
False. He needs the FasTrak CAV transponder (which he has) since he drives 237 and is required to set based on the number of passengers. Using either the FasTrak CAV or FasTrak Flex with a setting of 3 as single rider on 237 is breaking the law. Defaulting to 3 for any other toll road in the Bay Area is fine.

The transponder you want is the FasTrak Flex, which is the switchable model. You set that permanently to the three position once you have your CAV decals mounted. Get rid of everything else.
That may work for Bay Area, but here in LA, you are to set the transponder to the number of people in the car always. You no longer get free access as a single occupant - only for 2+ (or 3+ during some hours on I10). Otherwise it's only a 15% discount for signle-occupancy.

Oh, and they are also instituting an automated occupancy detection system: https://www.metroexpresslanes.net/occupancy-detection-system/

EDIT - If they are going to do this ...I would love for this all to mean one day there's no transponder, sticker, etc. Just use the license plate and the auto-passenger-detect system.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Minor update:
Since the transponder wasn't getting detected while mounted vertically, I tried rotating it 90 degrees so that now it was horizontal, but still in the same location to the right of the camera. It appears to have worked, since I was not charged the one time I drove 237E while it was set to 2 people.
So I can only assume my problem was with the orientation and not the location. Seems like these new candy bar style transponders only work if they are horizontal. Maybe the signal they emit is directional.

• Informative
Reactions: David3 and lUtriaNt
I didn't think I was stupid but I cannot figure out if you HAVE to have FASTRAK with a Tesla? What kind? etc... I sent away for the ugly clean air stickers which haven't arrived after two months. So, I live in El Cerrito. I go to SF and north via Carquinez Bridge. What do I need to have? Consulting the FASTRAK website, DMV and even these forums has completely befuddled me (and I work for City Gov.!).

I just got my stickers and a new CAV candy bar transponder. Due to work from home, i have not travelled over hov and bridges with these two new items. I too am wondering where to stick the transponder that will work and still “look nice”. I was thinking i’d applying the velcro on the surface of the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. It will still be facing upward. I have a dark visor tint across the top and don’t really like to stick it on the tint. Either option will not make it easy to see from the outside. Just want it to work reliably and not have to pull it out of the glove compartment when i realize i need it.