Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to mount phone in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After you guys posted your photos I decided to try my RAM mount suction cup on the dash and it worked. The suction cup goes right under the vent. I had to use a longer arm (I have two of thes with different length arms) between the two ball sockets of my mount but it is quite well positioned now except that a bit of the lower right corner is obscured by my right hand or the steering wheel at times.

It might be nice if dashboards came with a factory installed screw hole for phone mounting - not unlike the tripod socket on a camera. They could always put a cap over it to make it look less obtrusive.

I mount this to the dash and turn the up pretty much straight up:

Then I use the X-grip on my iPhone 6+
RAM-B-166-103U.jpg
RAM-HOL-UN10BUIU3.jpg

I will post a picture of what it looks like in the car later on. But this is completely removable with no damage to the dash. The suction cup isn't quite as secure on the dash as it is on the windshield but it is still very solid. You can also use it with or without a case on the phone and it doesn't require anything affixed to your phone.

After you guys posted your photos I decided to try my RAM mount suction cup on the dash and it worked. The suction cup goes right under the vent. I had to use a longer arm (I have two of thes with different length arms) between the two ball sockets of my mount but it is quite well positioned now except that a bit of the lower right corner is obscured by my right hand or the steering wheel at times.

It might be nice if dashboards came with a factory installed screw hole for phone mounting - not unlike the tripod socket on a camera. They could always put a cap over it to make it look less obtrusive.

I mount this to the dash and turn the up pretty much straight up:

Then I use the X-grip on my iPhone 6+
View attachment 69127View attachment 69128

I will post a picture of what it looks like in the car later on. But this is completely removable with no damage to the dash. The suction cup isn't quite as secure on the dash as it is on the windshield but it is still very solid. You can also use it with or without a case on the phone and it doesn't require anything affixed to your phone.

I use the same mount except I put it on the windshield all the way to the left by the pillar. It don't obstruct visibility as much as it would toward the center, since line-of-sight the pillar is behind it. The only problem is running power, but I can run a 6' cord below the instrument panel and back along the yacht floor keeping the wiring pretty tidy.

Magnetic phone mount :) The position shown in the photos works fine for a 6+.
I bought the one from Abstract Ocean. It attaches nicely but.. The large magnet on the back of the phone means it will not stay flat on any surface and more importantly, will demagnetized every mags tripe within it's reach. Replacing a few credit cards made me throw away this option, but I was becoming tired of the large protrusion on the Bach of my phone anyway.
It works impeccably but for those two issues. If those are not problems for you, this is a good option.

I bought the one from Abstract Ocean. It attaches nicely but.. The large magnet on the back of the phone means it will not stay flat on any surface and more importantly, will demagnetized every mags tripe within it's reach. Replacing a few credit cards made me throw away this option, but I was becoming tired of the large protrusion on the Bach of my phone anyway.
It works impeccably but for those two issues. If those are not problems for you, this is a good option.

I, like many, use waze on my phone. This location would have me looking down and away from the road too much, imho. I've been using the magnet option just to the left of the screen for two years and like it. Just keep your hotel access cards in a different pocket than your phone :)

Although I don't use it myself, for a number of reasons (discussed in another, newer thread discussing this same topic right now here: )

What to do with phone? Mount?

You guys should know that Abstract Ocean now has a mount very similar to the one you are using, except the magnet part goes on the dash, and the part that goes on the phone is thinner, and, of course, not a magnet. It's called the "Slimline Magnetic Phone Holder." Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean

Last edited:
Although I don't use it myself, for a number of reasons (discussed in another, newer thread discussing this same topic right now here: )

What to do with phone? Mount?

you guys should know that Abstract Ocean now has a mount very similar to the one you are using, except the magnet part goes on the dash, and the part that goes on the phone is thinner, and, of course, not a magnet. It's called the "Slimline Magnetic Phone Holder." Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean

Thanks, this might explain a sudden rush of orders this morning :) We're actually out of stock, but more are expected by the middle of next week, so the page is currently taking pre-orders.

I thought I read somewhere that you could get Waze on the touchscreen. Not so?
(I don't quite have my Tesla yet)

Sort of, here: Waze for Tesla Incidents

But it's a view-only version (i.e. you cannot add to the data), and is rather limited, you cannot see which direction the the alert/hazard is, no voice warnings, etc. It's good to see where the general issues are, but not a substitute for the actual app.

i dont get why Waze is so good...ive tried it briefly for a few times and it annoys me. tons of these cartoon balloon figures all over the map. doesnt seem user friendly. perhaps i need to learn how to use it more :)

My initial response was negative too, but after just a little time you realize just how helpful it is to have real time information about construction, traffic, police, hazards, etc. There's also the social media aspect which may not be everyone's thing, but with the built in nav that will reroute you around aforementioned hazards/traffic, it's really quite good.

Reactions: Joelc
i dont get why Waze is so good...ive tried it briefly for a few times and it annoys me. tons of these cartoon balloon figures all over the map. doesnt seem user friendly. perhaps i need to learn how to use it more :)

Some of the 'noise' can be suppressed in the settings. I hardly ever use it for actual navigation (and if I do, it's usually set to silent), just for the various alerts. It learns routines too, i.e. it knows my usual time for going to the office, and coming back home, and has even figured out the one day of the week when I head to our research center in the middle of the day. I think that makes it fairly user friendly :)

I'm intrigued by the magnet mounts, but I also love my Otterbox Defender... would be great if those two companies could work together.

Just put the plate on the inside of your Otterbox, problem solved, best of both worlds. Put the Scosche mount to the right of the steering wheel, below the vent, and to the left of the screen. It's almost eye-level so you can see important notifications if necesary. I've been using the magnet mounts for about nine months. They don't fall off, and the only time I moved one, it was non-marking to the dash when I took it off. Can't ask for more than that, especially at $15.

Do u read email or massages while your driving? its dangerous, please do not do that. It will divert your attention from your driving if put your phone on dash screen, maybe you can choose other phone mount which puts other device.
I don't read my emails while driving but I might check them at a red light. You shouldn't read web pages while driving but that doesn't meant that the Tesla shouldn't have a web browser. I primarily use the mount and phone to run Waze while driving and occasionally for Spotify. Technically some of that might be illegal but it is really is no different than selecting songs on Slacker on the big Tesla screen.