Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to mount phone in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I purchase the larger magnet for an iphone 6plus that is inside a lifeproof case? i would like to place the magnet on the physical phone inside the case for a cleaner look. WIll the standard size magnet work or should to be safe get the larger magnet?

I have this mount and love it. The magnet is the ball between the dash mount and the phone mount. A thin piece of metal mounts to the phone and is attracted to the magnet. I prefer to put this metal disk on the case as it leaves my phone untouched. They provide two disks so if I replace the case I will use the second disk. The disk is very thin and does not look bad on the case.

I had a hard time deciding what to do and bought two inexpensive vent mounts from amazon to tide me over. These have a little hook in the back that clips over the horizontal part of the vent, and the phone is held by side clamps. The vent hook was a little finicky to attach, but it seems solid enough once in place (unless you plan to run an autocross course or something).

In the attached picture, the mount on the left is attached to the part of the vent that moves, while the mount on the right is attached to the upper, non-movable half of the vent. The left sided mount is more visible from driving position, so I use that for my navigation phone. The right sided mount is more obstructed by the steering wheel, but that's ok for controlling my audiobooks/podcasts/etc.

The eagle eyed will notice I have two different versions of the "same" mount. The one on the right is a "newer" version that has an "upgraded" hook portion and costs a dollar or two more. For my purpose (ie. mounting in a Tesla), I don't see a significant difference between them.

-Ben

PS. Can't wait for Tesla to release phone mirroring for the center stack screen!

Attachments

• IMG_20160323_103050185.jpg
    IMG_20160323_103050185.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_20160323_103105490.jpg
    IMG_20160323_103105490.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20160323_103118089.jpg
    IMG_20160323_103118089.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 486
I have this mount and love it. The magnet is the ball between the dash mount and the phone mount. A thin piece of metal mounts to the phone and is attracted to the magnet. I prefer to put this metal disk on the case as it leaves my phone untouched. They provide two disks so if I replace the case I will use the second disk. The disk is very thin and does not look bad on the case.
I understand how it works. I wanted to know if I should get the larger magnet or the original. For my set up iphone6plus with a lifeproof case

Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean[/URL]

This was my favorite, bought a couple for our two cars before Tesla arrived, but now that the MX is here I could not bring myself to stick the mount on the wood trim so that one got moved to the truck and now I’m using a small vent mount device in the car Amazon.com: Car Phone Mount, Cell Phone Holder for Car, Phone Car Mount, Phone Holder, 360° rotate universal air vent Perfume car mount holder for iPhone 6S Samsung HTC LG most Smartphones GPS Devicemate® PHV 8: Cell Phones & Accessories (without the perfume)
There will probably be a place for the other one on the M3.
The thin plate on the phone back is less of a problem if it is placed eccentrically; I have mine in the middle of the bottom half and barely notice it when the phone in flat on a table.

I understand how it works. I wanted to know if I should get the larger magnet or the original. For my set up iphone6plus with a lifeproof case
Yes, I'd suggest the larger/upgraded option. I've not tested with a LifeProof case, but I am currently using a Loopy case (love it!), which actually holds the case slightly away from the back surface of the phone, but I still have no issues with the magnet holding on.

Reactions: Tellotes
I just bought an iOttie on sale from Amazon. In the office right now, but when I get out I'll post the picture when I get out.

It's got a suction cup, and I got it mounted on the underside of the little cubby under the screen. It's clean, simple, and leaves no marks. Not to mention it fits my Nexus 6P and iPhone 6.

Hi there - am looking for a good mount for my Model S and came across this thread. The magnetic ball mount mentioned by Pete8314 seems like an attractive option. I did a quick search for magnetic mounts on Amazon and it seems there are several that seem (virtually) identical and are a fair amount less expensive (and include the coveted 2-day shipping). Here's one example: https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Tech-Universal-Magnetic-Dashboard-Smartphone/dp/B00RBBT9SA. Any thoughts on whether this would be any better/worse/same as the others mentioned in this thread? Are there any differences between this and the earlier mentioned slim ball mounts that are worth considering? Thanks!

Thanks for pointing that out...looks pretty nice. Where do you have it mounted on your Model S? Some of the reviews mention the possibility of the adhesive coming off of the mount if it's placed vertically -- depending on where you have it mounted would also be curious to hear whether you've had any issue with that.

Personally, I prefer the Scosche one. I think it's better looking and better performing. Plus, it gives you a little bit more mount in flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-MAGD...&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=schoschoe+magnet+mount

Thanks for pointing that out...looks pretty nice. Where do you have it mounted on your Model S? Some of the reviews mention the possibility of the adhesive coming off of the mount if it's placed vertically -- depending on where you have it mounted would also be curious to hear whether you've had any issue with that.

No issues in 2 years. I used the 3M double-sided tape (it's red, and rated for lots of lbs per sq inch) which is slightly thicker than the tape that comes with it. I ended up changing it into a different Tesla and I didn't have the original adhesive any more. So, no, I have not experienced the adhesive failing.

Cool. And where in the car did you end up deciding was the best place to mount it?

No issues in 2 years. I used the 3M double-sided tape (it's red, and rated for lots of lbs per sq inch) which is slightly thicker than the tape that comes with it. I ended up changing it into a different Tesla and I didn't have the original adhesive any more. So, no, I have not experienced the adhesive failing.