TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where to park in DFW for 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Texas' started by taurusking, Jan 11, 2015.

1. taurusking

taurusking Member

Hi All

I will be leaving country for 2 weeks and my departure is from DFW.

Does anybody know where I can park for 2 weeks plugged in close to DFW?

Thanks

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

DFW Valet will park the car in Terminal D and keep it charged for you at an extortionate price. Park and Fly also has charging. You need to be a member of the EVGo network and pay a $5/day premium. There are probably other options.

3. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Any chance you could leave your car near your home in East Texas, be dropped off and take a commuter flight over to DFW?

Love Field has EV Parking, I don't know that I have ever located EV parking @ DFW.
    And I am a heck of a lot closer to DFW than you are, even when I leave it there for a week.

4. taurusking

taurusking Member

Thanks to @Bollar and purple wait

I think I will take a ride with my friend ....we need more ev friendly parking spaces at affordable price....hope things will change in the future.

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I could have sworn Parking Spot was putting in L2 EVSEs. I don't see them on Plugshare, though.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Depending on where you live would it be cheaper to take a taxi there and back instead of airport parking fees?

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Also look up Bjorn Nyland's experience of leaving his car for 28 days at Oslo airport. The range loss was only 10%. So if you leave a fully charged car at the airport for two weeks not plugged in, you would be still OK.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

#8 Shaggy, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    DFW needs to do like us in Austin. The city put in 10 L1 chargers because who needs L2 for cars at the airport for days... They were able to put in more chargers that (hopefully) will get used longer. They MAYBE could put a couple of L2 in the waiting lots for pickups...

Over a taxi, I'd choose Uber or even SuperShuttle.

9. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I visited with DFW's Sustainability Manager a few weeks ago and advocated for just that. I think that's what they're going to do.

10. 7racer

7racer Member

this is a good thread for me as I will be getting a Model S here this next week and trying to decide on how to handle business trips.

I remember the DFWvalet offering charging, is the price published somewhere?

Also, how does Love Field deal with EV parking?

11. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

I used the DFW valet service for two years before I relocated to Arizona and owned a Volt. It was $22 parking per day with no fee for charging. They always made sure it was fully charged before my return. Having them manage the L2 charger means that more people get to use it since it is never blocked unnecessarily by people parking while traveling. I was gone most weeks for 3-4 days at a time and only needed 3-4 hours charge at most. Contrast that to Phoenix. It cost $25 per day to park at the terminal (no valet offered). There are 3 Blink chargers that are constantly blocked by EV's ( observed a MS frequently occupying a space while not charging ) mostly not even charging but if they were its another $20+ per day for charging, even when full. Trust me I found out the hard way when I was able to plug in my old Volt and got a $48 charging fee.

Since I bought my MS I now have plenty of range that I no longer need to get a charge while parked for 4 to 5 days.

12. JMG

JMG Member

Glad to hear that Bollar. Yeah that makes much more sense. No need for a L2 charger when staying for several days. Sometime gone for just over night probably doesn't need a charge. Someone gone for 3+ days only even needs a 110 outlet.

13. taurusking

taurusking Member

110 outlet is more than enough...at 3-4 miles per hour of charging ...and even if I am gone 2 weeks just like last time it should be plenty of charge...

14. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Unless the valets are taking your car out for joyrides! :)

15. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

This thread prompted me to check the loss. I arrived at the airport with 72% SOC and had 67% SOC upon my return 82 hours later. That was more than I would have guessed.