Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to pick up...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty new to me, when I got my Model S it was dropped off in my driveway (January 2013) but my understanding is that delivery is done at the Service Centers not the showrooms. Perhaps I'm TOTALLY wrong but I think that's how it works.

Personally, I would love to pick up at the factory but I don't want to pay California sales tax.

So we're 1 mile from the Palo Alto dealer, or 12 miles from Fremont. I presume it's faster/cooler to pick it up in Fremont, but maybe there is a local showroom benefit I'm missing.
I picked mine up at the factory because I wanted to take the tour. Highly recommended. Fascinating to see how they are made. I imagine the actual delivery experience is the same at the dealer as the factory but I'd go to the factory to get the tour.

I picked mine up at the factory because I wanted to take the tour. Highly recommended. Fascinating to see how they are made. I imagine the actual delivery experience is the same at the dealer as the factory but I'd go to the factory to get the tour.
I'm thinking about picking it up at the factory, doing the tour and then driving my family from there back home to New York City. But the timing on this might be tricky depending on schedules... If ours is ready around March then we might be able to time it with the kids' spring break. I do hope there are back seat USB ports!

I'm thinking about picking it up at the factory, doing the tour and then driving my family from there back home to New York City. But the timing on this might be tricky depending on schedules... If ours is ready around March then we might be able to time it with the kids' spring break. I do hope there are back seat USB ports!

As an owner that lives outside of California, you'll want to learn about California Use Tax (sales tax). The short version is California collects that whether you're going to register the car in California or not. Makes for a very expensive road trip to take delivery at the factory.

It might be that you could take delivery in Las Vegas, and then go on your vacation / road trip back into California, with eventual registration in New York (or Oregon, Arizona - you know, somewhere "nearby").

I believe that some people get the car delivered wherever home is, and then separately schedule a factory tour.

As an owner that lives outside of California, you'll want to learn about California Use Tax (sales tax). The short version is California collects that whether you're going to register the car in California or not. Makes for a very expensive road trip to take delivery at the factory.
Well that sucks. I definitely don't need to pay tax on it twice. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into it.