Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to place FL Sunpass in 2019 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I live in South Florida and just got my first Tesla - a new 2019 Model X and wanted to install the Sunpass.
1.) Would a sticker or portable transponder be recommended?
2.) Where can I place so there is no RFID interference etc.

Thanks in advance for the feedback and look forward to interacting on the site.

Here is a location used with success for EZPass:
FWIW, I rented a Model X that had an RFID for garage entry, which was in the same location as in this video and it worked perfectly. The Sunpass sticker should be the same.
I've only used Sunpass stickers on S and 3, both of which worked perfectly.

Reactions: X-pilot
Can't speak for the sticker, but my transponder is placed to the right of the rear view mirror and below the sun visor attachment point (placed so it doesn't interfere). Haven't had any problems there.
Same here. I stuck it to the windshield so I can’t see it when driving and no issues. I would actually prefer the sticker I think, but since I have the portable one, I continue to use it. No, my version does not beep.

couldn't you just associate your license plate with the sunpass transponder and use tolls-by-mail. in many parts of the country tolls-by-mail gets billed to your sunpass account (or similar) even tho there is no longer a toll booth, and it all happens by camera. i am nearly certain this is how it works in FL as well.. but i'm not a Floridian and cannot say for sure.

Hi guys,
I live in South Florida and just got my first Tesla - a new 2019 Model X and wanted to install the Sunpass.

I got the transponder that you put on the front bumper. It's recessed so you can't see it. Didn't want to mess with the windshield

I got the transponder that you put on the front bumper. It's recessed so you can't see it. Didn't want to mess with the windshield

That's what I had to get for my Model S. there was no pass-thru zone on my windshield. but again all the tolls in the NYC area are by camera now and there are no more toll booths.

Edited to add: thankfully the small portion of my license plate that get s blocked by the transponder does not mess with the cameras. although I occasionally get state troopers who say that my transponder is on the wrong part of my license plate.. (to which their partner often replies... "don't listen to that," with a wink.

the rule, I believe, is that you can't cover the state.

Hi guys,

Quote from the Owners manual:

When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model X, place the transponder in the topmost area of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.
Note: You can also attach a weather-proof transponder to the front license plate.

Mine is located on the glass, basically above the drivers left shoulder.

I know, I know. Holy thread revival, Batman! But I'm trying to find a good place to put the bumper transponder in my X. I had it under the nosecone of my S (which I no longer own). I was hoping I could throw it in the frunk, but it's not registering there.

Where did you put it?