Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to place the ExpressLanes transponder on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2017-12-11_22-33-32.png

Ive placed mine in both locations here. Attached to the glass up against that pillar between the roof and rear window glass. Not in my line of sight while im driving and still works fine. I have the newer candy bar shaped transponder.

View attachment 266154

Ive placed mine in both locations here. Attached to the glass up against that pillar between the roof and rear window glass. Not in my line of sight while im driving and still works fine. I have the newer candy bar shaped transponder.

Thanks. That looks much better than the newer Model S, where it is mostly visible when placed in the back trunk glass.

I'd like to try and put mine behind the front bumper. Hopefully someone tries that before I get mine so I know if it works…
It will be years, years I say, before you ever get your car because you are on Elon's naughty list. By then, Model 3's wont have bumpers, oh wait, they don't have bumpers now. By the time you get your car, the transponder will be integrated into the U.I. :D

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
Which type of Flex Pass do you have - the former kind or the "candy bar" type?
When did he Candy bar type come out?
Thanks for info.

Candy bar. Years ago, sorry I can't be more specific. I have no special knowledge, but my guess is that the big change is the sensitivity of the receivers. Years ago, at least in Massachusetts, they were 3 feet off the ground. They are now 30-40 feet off the ground. If they're good at 40 feet to the windshield, what's a couple more feet to the bin?

Apparently the new version of the Model 3 manual has information on where a transponder should be mounted. The right side of mirror mount housing.

Yes, but that's just for driver visibility obscuration purposes. My CSE said that Model 3 does not have a metallic windshield and so Fastrak will work anywhere. I pretty-much confirmed it later that day driving over the San Mateo–Hayward Bridge with the Fastrak simply sitting in the middle front on the dash.

BTW, if you use the Metro or I-680 express lanes, you need a Flex transponder: FasTrak® - Keeping the Bay Area Moving

It's not available in the "candy bar" format, just the old square format with a switch you keep on "3" for Teslas.

Last edited:
BTW, if you use the Metro or I-680 express lanes, you need a Flex transponder: FasTrak® - Keeping the Bay Area Moving

It's not available in the "candy bar" format, just the old square format with a switch you keep on "3" for Teslas.

I was wrong! The picture on the website shows the old square form factor, but what I just got in the mail is a candy bar with the 1,2,3 switch in the middle.

Reactions: DLM270
We use RFID tags for our HOA gate. The stick on tags don't work well on any modern windshields, so I use the "license plate bar", but I put the bar in the frunk on our M3 and MS and it works great every time. For the CA toll roads I keep the transponder in the glove box, because it never worked in my Model S. It never beeps when I go through tolls, but they have "plate matching" now, so all my tolls are still automatically charged. I've been doing that for about a year with no issues on all SoCal toll roads.