Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to post about help buying a tesla model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm beginning my search for a model S, I have watched alot of videos. But still have alot of questions. Where can i post those questions? Such as shopping online and knowing if a car has unlimited supercharging still from the vin? Do you call tesla, do they have the information on the car ?

It helps for the seller to take a photo of the screen with the VIN/options on it. My 2015 did not come with free supercharging as it was a lease returned to Tesla, which makes it pay-per-charge. Doesn't bother me though since I do most of my charging at home. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning my search for a model S, I have watched alot of videos. But still have alot of questions. Where can i post those questions? Such as shopping online and knowing if a car has unlimited supercharging still from the vin? Do you call tesla, do they have the information on the car ?

This is not a specific endorsement as I have not personally used their services, but with that being said, one of the TMC vendors (@FindMyElectric ) has a very good write up on free unlimited supercharging, transferability, etc. You can find it here:

I saw it referenced in another thread here. If you are looking for a car that has guaranteed free unlimited supercharging, you are likely looking at buying a tesla model S thats no newer than the beginning of 2017, and also one that someone can prove has never been through teslas hands at any point.

Any car with FUSC was also likely supercharged a ton, for whatever that is worth. Me personally, free unlimited supercharging would have been a perk on a new car I bought, but wouldnt be one on a used one unless I was driving it for business use and planned on putting 30k+ miles a year on it. Perhaps thats just me though.

TMC members are pretty knowledgeable as well, so you can ask questions here about things you dont understand or want clarification on.

good luck.

Upvote 0
This is not a specific endorsement as I have not personally used their services, but with that being said, one of the TMC vendors (@FindMyElectric ) has a very good write up on free unlimited supercharging, transferability, etc. You can find it here:

I agree that in general the information from the Findmyelectric site is generally correct, but some of their graphics on which years for the Model S is not totally accurate. For example, they do not list for 2016 any variant of a 90D, P90D, etc. I personally own a mid-2016 MD90D that does have transferable lifetime supercharging although their write-up would lead someone to believe otherwise. I do agree with their underlying comments that it's really difficult for a perspective buyer to have confidence in what they are getting unless they can get the current owner to pull up the option codes from the html reference in their on-line account details to be able to confirm the SC01 option code.

I also would say that the statement that any car with free lifetime supercharging has supercharged a ton is to broad of an generalization and not necessarily accurate. That will depend heavily on the individual owner, especially if the car is still own by the original purchaser such as myself. This will always depend upon how much the car is used for long range travel or whether the owner frequents a location that has a supercharger for other reasons on a frequent basis. In my case about 40% of my miles traveled have been long range trips, so by supercharging. But when not traveling, the nearest supercharge is an hour away from my residence so about 50% of my total charging is at home with the remaining 10% being at company owned/operated where I work. So the charging history will always vary.

@smtroupe - the VIN actually gives you very little information around any form of options and definitely not anything related to free supercharging. There are various VIN look-up tools available, but you'll find it largely limited to the vehicle model year, production location, what type of power train it is, etc.

Upvote 0
FWIW I have free lifetime supercharging on my 2020 MS. There IS a way to access all the data for a particular vehicle - if you own it or have access to the owner's account - by right clicking on the image in the account. I did it for mine and it worked but I can't remember what you do after right clicking! Someone here will fill us both in on that, I'm sure.
The info you get this way has all the build info and the codes for transferable LFSC, premium internet etc etc. The lifetime free supercharging code is either 01 or 05 IIRC, the first is transferable and the second only for the original owner.

Upvote 0
page1image2018220352

Customer
O. K. Upchurch III
r1200g s4ok @ icloud.com
Order Number Order payment
Order placed with electronically accepted terms
RN109677921 $100 10/22/2019
Descrip􏰁on
Model S
Model S Long Range
Pearl White Mul􏰁-Coat
19’’ Silver Wheels
Black and White Premium Interior with Dark Ash Wood Décor
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Price (USD)
$75,000
$4,990
Included
Included
$1,500
Included
$6,000
Included
Motor Vehicle Order Agreement Vehicle Configura􏰀on
Price indicated does not include taxes and governmental fees, which will be calculated as your delivery date nears. You will be responsible for these addi􏰁onal taxes and fees.
Subtotal $87,490
Des􏰁na􏰁on and Documenta􏰁on Fee $1,200
Total $88,690

My car is a 2020 Model S....as you can see from above it has FUSC.......I got it at time of sale....Paid $0.....and if I sell to private party, it is transferable
1649473630516.png

Upvote 0
There IS a way to access all the data for a particular vehicle - if you own it or have access to the owner's account - by right clicking on the image in the account. I did it for mine and it worked but I can't remember what you do after right clicking! Someone here will fill us both in on that, I'm sure.
Once you get into the owner account, go to manage for the appropriate car, the right click on the image and copy the link to the image.
Now paste that link into a text editor or some type of word document as text. You'll see a series of 4 character codes each preceded by at $.

The magic option code for free unlimited supercharger that will transfer with the car to a new owner is SC01.
The SC05 code is free unlimited supercharger but does not transfer to a new owner.
SC06 is free supercharging, but only for a defined period of time (Tesla at time would offer free supercharging for potentially a year when they were trying to push sales at end of a quarter)
SC04 is pay per use supercharging.

While an order invoice like @r1200gs4ok posted does list unlimited free supercharging, if I was looking to purchase I would not take that as definitive proof. Tesla has changed around so many times how the document unlimited supercharging to the point where they do not provide any distinction whether it is transferrable.

The only definite evidence which I know is the the option codes pulled from the current owners account page.

The TeslaAPI will provide back a list of option codes, but those stopped being accurate some time ago. Instead the API call appears to send a set of generic codes. If I were to believe the ones I now retrieve via the API it would tell me that my mid-2016 MS90D with SC01 transferrable free supercharging is actually a Model 3 with SC04 pay per use supercharging.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Most cars from Tesla I don’t think will have free supercharging even if they originally did. Cars from 3rd party dealers won’t either. Only ones from private party that are old enough. Around 2017 and older.
I'm looking at 14-16 for just that reason. I don't think I miss out on to much for the year. I heard I'll need to upgrade the dash and black out the trim. 16 adds the extra cameras too. Anything else ?

Upvote 0

I saw it referenced in another thread here. If you are looking for a car that has guaranteed free unlimited supercharging, you are likely looking at buying a tesla model S thats no newer than the beginning of 2017, and also one that someone can prove has never been through teslas hands at any point.

Any car with FUSC was also likely supercharged a ton, for whatever that is worth. Me personally, free unlimited supercharging would have been a perk on a new car I bought, but wouldnt be one on a used one unless I was driving it for business use and planned on putting 30k+ miles a year on it. Perhaps thats just me though.

TMC members are pretty knowledgeable as well, so you can ask questions here about things you dont understand or want clarification on.

good luck.
Ya I'm specifically looking for 2014-16 for this reason. I guess with charge at home it isn't a big like you and others are stating.

I know the dash will need to be upgrade 1200$, 10000 for self driving and black out trim. What is Fusc?

We are looking to get into a model s as cheap as possible. 85 or higher. Anything else I should specifically look at. Seems like the 14-16 can be had for 40-50. I have a trail blazer SS I never drive so this would be replacing that.

Upvote 0
Here is the source I use to decipher the option codes.

It lists APF2 to be that you have purchased FSD software. I do not know if someone that is doing the monthly subscription would see the same code, or there is yet a separate code for that.

Also, I was not challenging or debating where you actually had transferrable free supercharging. Just that if I was looking to purchase, I would not trust the purchase documents your posted and would want to see the actual option codes to be confident that is was transferrable.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0
Here is the source I use to decipher the option codes.

It lists APF2 to be that you have purchased FSD software. I do not know if someone that is doing the monthly subscription would see the same code, or there is yet a separate code for that.

Also, I was not challenging or debating where you actually had transferrable free supercharging. Just that if I was looking to purchase, I would not trust the purchase documents your posted and would want to see the actual option codes to be confident that is was transferrable.
no problem......you helped me learn something......just did not know what that particular code was........

Upvote 0
I'm looking at 14-16 for just that reason. I don't think I miss out on to much for the year. I heard I'll need to upgrade the dash and black out the trim. 16 adds the extra cameras too. Anything else ?
Not all 2016 models have the 8-camera system. That was introduced in production in mid-October 2016.

2016 is actually one of the more complex models years to differentiate exactly what major version of car you are talking about.
Early 2016, up through mid/late April is the original black oval front end and with AP1 / first generation autopilot
Late April through mid October produced cars have the new front fascia without the black oval, but still the AP1/first generation autopilot system
Cars starting mid October are still the new front fascia, but the AP2 8-camera autopilot based system, but unless since upgraded, not the latest FSD computer and with older cameras the say 2019 vintage cars.

So some that are really hung up on getting free unlimited, transferrable supercharging but want the potential for FSD capability are starting limiting themselves to the last couple months of 2016 produced cars. While an early 2017 could also provide this same combination, 2017s are really tricky to figure out if they should have transferrable unlimited supercharging. Production month is not sufficient as it also gets into when the order was placed. You could have two cars produced on the same day in mid-Q1 2017, one ordered in early Jan 2017 that would have transferrable supercharging and one order 2-3 weeks later in late January that would not transfer.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0

good luck.

@jjrandorin - Thanks for the shout out!

@PCMc - There are indeed rare situations (like yours) where FUSC isn't there, although they're not super common. That said, we try to cover the caveats in our posts and are constantly updating them with current information. Thanks for the feedback! We're always looking to improve :)

Upvote 0
We'd be happy to help you. Feel free to DM us here, or reach out on our site :)

Upvote 0
View attachment 791636
Customer
O. K. Upchurch III
r1200g s4ok @ icloud.com
Order Number Order payment
Order placed with electronically accepted terms
RN109677921 $100 10/22/2019
Descrip􏰁on
Model S
Model S Long Range
Pearl White Mul􏰁-Coat
19’’ Silver Wheels
Black and White Premium Interior with Dark Ash Wood Décor
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Price (USD)
$75,000
$4,990
Included
Included
$1,500
Included
$6,000
Included
Motor Vehicle Order Agreement Vehicle Configura􏰀on
Price indicated does not include taxes and governmental fees, which will be calculated as your delivery date nears. You will be responsible for these addi􏰁onal taxes and fees.
Subtotal $87,490
Des􏰁na􏰁on and Documenta􏰁on Fee $1,200
Total $88,690

My car is a 2020 Model S....as you can see from above it has FUSC.......I got it at time of sale....Paid $0.....and if I sell to private party, it is transferable
View attachment 791636

What are you pointing to in this post that verifies your lifetime free unlimited supercharging would transfer to someone else if you sold that vehicle? Perhaps I am being dense, but I dont see anything in this post that indicates that.

EDIT: I see from another post it looks like you have SC01 (not this one above). I am not an expert but that is the one I think is supposed to transfer.

Upvote 0
What are you pointing to in this post that verifies your lifetime free unlimited supercharging would transfer to someone else if you sold that vehicle? Perhaps I am being dense, but I dont see anything in this post that indicates that.

EDIT: I see from another post it looks like you have SC01 (not this one above). I am not an expert but that is the one I think is supposed to transfer.
I do have the SC01 code

$SC01,$CPF1&bkba_opt=1&crop=1450,600,250,300

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0