Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to put 14-50 outlet and the mobile connector wall mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attached is a photo of my garage, I am going to drive the car head in so that location is right where the charger should be. Good news is my panel is right next to that area too (the grey box)

I am thinking the 14-50 outlet can be somewhere near the black cable box and the mobile connector can be closer to the garage door end? Is there any requirements in terms of spacing etc to consider in terms of location of the outlet and connector?

Attachments

• 20210427_083830.jpg
    20210427_083830.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 113
Nice. Yep, it looks like if you drive in, the charge port will line up really close to that black box so put it anywhere in that area. Depending on if you get the long or short cord, that may change the height a bit but it looks like you have it very easy (and cheap if there is an empty double pole breaker slot). If it's a double car garage, maybe decide if you want to charge someone in the adjacent space. The only thing to consider is local regulations in Seattle which I'm not privy. They likely have a minimum height requirement on the outlet.

For the setup for my former EV with a 14-50 plug, I have it midway on the garage wall, so I can either back in or drive in. Flexibility is good, depending on the length of the charging cable. I believe it should still work with the Tesla for me. Am debating if it's worth getting one of the Tesla Charging cables instead of just the adaptor for my current plug... will wait and see... if/when my car shows up!

Thanks to replies, yup its double garage and i dont know if i will have 2 electric cars? Maybe in the future. So make sure outlet is at least 4ft away from ground.
The 4 ft height could be specified in the local code. Your electrician will know. It would mean that the 18 ft. charging cord might not reach the opposite side of the garage and the Tesla vehicle's charging port. The photo appears to show the left side of the garage, if you park the Tesla on the left side the charging port of the Tesla will be close to the outlet, would be able to reach with no issue.

Nice. Yep, it looks like if you drive in, the charge port will line up really close to that black box so put it anywhere in that area. Depending on if you get the long or short cord, that may change the height a bit but it looks like you have it very easy (and cheap if there is an empty double pole breaker slot). If it's a double car garage, maybe decide if you want to charge someone in the adjacent space. The only thing to consider is local regulations in Seattle which I'm not privy. They likely have a minimum height requirement on the outlet.
What do you mean- long or short cord? Do you have a choice?

The Tesla Wall Connector is available with either an 8.5 ft charging cord or an 18 ft charging cord. The price is the same; $500 US for either configuration.
Ah, I think I may have confused the thread. Sorry. Since you'e putting in a 14-50, that means you won't be getting the wall charger (which does have cord length options) and be using your mobile charger. There is no long or short mobile charger. Sorry for the confusion I caused.