Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to put a new Supercharger location along the 280 freeway on the SF Peninsula

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe closer down to Portola Valley or Woodside Road in Redwood City but being able to secure real estate at any price would be tough.

There is that Park and Ride space at Woodside and 280, do people really use those anymore?

Maybe closer down to Portola Valley or Woodside Road in Redwood City but being able to secure real estate at any price would be tough.

There is that Park and Ride space at Woodside and 280, do people really use those anymore?

Most park and ride places are overflowing.
People park there and the tech busses pick them up.

I can't think of any win-win business relationship along 280 say between 380 and 85.
The real estate is pricey, and there are much stricter land use regulations then in other localities.

Maybe at Tesla headquarters, which has its own parking problem. Likely because they are packing in workers like sardines. The days of cubicles and offices are long gone.

I can't think of any existing business / parking lot owner who would think this was desirable. Maybe the Trader Joe's parking lot in Los Altos? Then it is probably packed on the weekends. Don't know, only go there say once a year at the most.

Finding any spot for superchargers will be tough with high density areas.

How about the golf course at 280 and Black Mountain Road? They have a nice little coffee shop.
Yes, that's Crystal Springs.

Another option would be in a back parking lot of Canada college. I have no idea if they have room, but it is an easy on and off 280.
Also a good suggestion, though it doesn't quite fit with the other Canada College clientele.

I dream of a day where they won't need to build them where a business relationship is possible.
Like at highway rest areas where you can have a picnic. And as for 280, Crystal Springs reservoir would be the spot where I would love to stop and charge, then go for a nature walk, enjoy the amazing scenery and check out the hawks overhead. Fits in so well with our cars' ethos...

I dream of a day where they won't need to build them where a business relationship is possible.
Like at highway rest areas where you can have a picnic. And as for 280, Crystal Springs reservoir would be the spot where I would love to stop and charge, then go for a nature walk, enjoy the amazing scenery and check out the hawks overhead. Fits in so well with our cars' ethos...

I agree with you and some day in the future they will just be everywhere..

Unfortunately the Crystal Springs parking can be a bit of a challenge during peak hours like lunch. Gorgeous easy walk frequented by all.

Reactions: e-FTW
The Rosewood on Sand Hill road would be a good spot.

It's already almost a Tesla showroom there already! That area is all the venture capital offfices, I once read that it was the most expensive per-square-foot real estate in the country with all those VC firms.

Driving to work today, 101 South at Palo Alto - 5 Teslas in the carpool lane behind me in a row, although I was the only one that seemed to have the carpool stickers. Seems pretty brazen to tempt CHP with a ticket even if "everyone knows it's an electric car."

There is also the Bunker Hill exit right at 280 right around Hillsborough and San Mateo, don't know who owns the land there but there is enough open space for chargers. Isn't there also a rest area (that's been closed?) right along there too?

• Funny
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Isn't there also a rest area (that's been closed?) right along there too?

The rest area with the Junipero Sierra statue is still open. The caretaker who cleaned it up years ago got kicked out about 10 years ago. Definitely still open.

there area several scenic views that have been closed for a really long time. I doubt these will ever reopen. They are now one of the many spots the CHP hide out to catch speeders. Maybe Tesla could pay to have them reopened.

Reactions: e-FTW
The new design of the rest area at Junipero statue is far superior to the old one. Even though
less than 2 miles from home it's saved me once or twice (from what, I leave
unstated). Traffic on 280 is heavy , but I'd be shocked if a SC was possible along the route.
Most of that traffic is very local (for some definition of local) anyway. Or so I think.

• Helpful
Reactions: SR-75
The new design of the rest area at Junipero statue is far superior to the old one. Even though
less than 2 miles from home it's saved me once or twice (from what, I leave
unstated). Traffic on 280 is heavy , but I'd be shocked if a SC was possible along the route.
Most of that traffic is very local (for some definition of local) anyway. Or so I think.
Drove by yesterday, and that rest area is closed for construction. But it seems way too smal for a Supercharger site, if it is not exclusive to that use.