Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to put charging port/power socket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a question For those who have experience and can help. In few months, I will hopefully own a model 3 [Much excited]. In meantime, I'm trying to figure out where to setup charging station for it. The options are, 1) inside garage, 2) outside garage, 3) one inside, one outside.

3) seems expensive but may help when I open both m3 and mY.
1) seems least hassle and cheapest but what happens if the tesla is parked outside of the garage? How do I run mobile connector cable from inside garage to driveway while also closing garage door?
2) more expensive, also, what happens if tesla is inside garage and need to charge it while keeping garage door closed.

Community where I live has strict rules about keeping garage doors closed.
I was also thinking about running 4awg wire and using 90 amp breaker so one station can be setup right away and the second one added later for a total of 76 amp max charge capacity.

Perform or get an electrician to perform a load calculation to see how many amps you can devote to car charging. There are calculators on the internet for this.

If you can afford it, two High Power Wall Connectors (HPWC's) can share the same electrical circuit, with whatever amperage you can spare for it. I'm not sure what the requirements are for powering two 14-50 sockets, but sharing a circuit that would trip the breaker if both cars are charging at max at the same time wouldn't be allowed. Someone else can probably comment on that.

One HPWC with a 24' cable would be able to reach inside or outside. You'd need to create a channel for the cord to pass under the garage door or through a front wall, or rotate the cars if charging every other day is OK. A 14-50 socket near the garage door could probably do the same, especially if you back the outside car up to the garage door. I assume the UMC cable is close to the same length as for the S & X.

Don’t overthink it

3A4288E0-3E0F-4392-A00B-09F5A48D6A4A.jpeg

Don’t overthink it
Yep. Put the outlet/wall connector on one side of the door so it is at the back of the car when parked nose-in. If you need to park outside, back the car in front of the door and run the cable under it.

Ideally, pop the emergency release so there isn't any pressure on the cord (the opener doesn't push down on it). Put a block under the door if you're really concerned (but it hasn't been an issue for me for >1 year)

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Yep. Put the outlet/wall connector on one side of the door so it is at the back of the car when parked nose-in. If you need to park outside, back the car in front of the door and run the cable under it.

Ideally, pop the emergency release so there isn't any pressure on the cord (the opener doesn't push down on it). Put a block under the door if you're really concerned (but it hasn't been an issue for me for >1 year)
Basically, you've been closing garage door on top of your hpcw wire and have not had any issues? That sounds promising

Perform or get an electrician to perform a load calculation to see how many amps you can devote to car charging. There are calculators on the internet for this.

If you can afford it, two High Power Wall Connectors (HPWC's) can share the same electrical circuit, with whatever amperage you can spare for it. I'm not sure what the requirements are for powering two 14-50 sockets, but sharing a circuit that would trip the breaker if both cars are charging at max at the same time wouldn't be allowed. Someone else can probably comment on that.

One HPWC with a 24' cable would be able to reach inside or outside. You'd need to create a channel for the cord to pass under the garage door or through a front wall, or rotate the cars if charging every other day is OK. A 14-50 socket near the garage door could probably do the same, especially if you back the outside car up to the garage door. I assume the UMC cable is close to the same length as for the S & X.

I'll Google this, but is this a thing?
>create a channel for the cord to pass under the garage door

Basically, you've been closing garage door on top of your hpcw wire and have not had any issues?

Basically, yes. For the last year and ~15 megawatt hours.

Garage door has a rubber foot on the bottom of it. The cable is quite sturdy. Also my power company has an “elongated electron” plan that helps them squeeze through any tight space.

Basically, you've been closing garage door on top of your hpcw wire and have not had any issues? That sounds promising
Yes. The opener happened to be adjusted so that it doesn't close tightly. I can close the door on the cable and it's still loose under the weatherstripping (I can wiggle it under the door).

In the rare chance the the door closes tight (the opener's stop point isn't very precise), I just pull the emergency released and hit the door button twice quickly. That raises the trolley a couple of inches. If anyone tried to open the door from outside, it hits the trolley and re-engages, locking the door an inch or two off the floor.

For occasional outdoor charging, I wouldn't think twice. Note I'm using the UMC, which had a thinner cable than the HPWC.

I did Option 3. One circuit, two hpwc, one inside and one outside. If you imagine a two car garage with enough driveway length for two cars parked in front of each door outside, I can charge a car in all six positions if they are parked in the correct nose in or nose out position.

The extra hpwc cost some cash, but I was already paying the electrician, the cable run from the panel, the permits, etc. all trivial compared to the cost of the car.

Love having the flexibility. Especially when the neighbor wants to charge the new? Future? son-in-laws car....