Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to sell you old car now that you are getting an S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rekoh,

Its pretty easy to take some pix and then list on cars.com or similar. The price is less than $100 for unlimited time. Skip the print advertisement unless its free which it was for a month on Hemmings.com. I've done it with 4 cars for family members in the last couple of years. I plan to do it again when my S shows up in the next few months. Just check similar cars on the site and price at that level or a bit higher. Then bring the price down maybe $100-150 every week or so til you get a bite. It has not been that much of a hassle. Of the 4 cars that I have sold, I have only showed them to 5 parties total. Accept only cashiers check of equivalent. Good luck.

We did what ElSupreme did, CarMax. I've done private sales where the new buyer didn't register the vehicle (hassle), where someone bought my car off ebay and then walked when they came to look at it (hassle, had to relist), where a friend pretty much accused us of selling him a lemon because the car needed new brakes a year later (hassle, told him to inspect it, selling as is). So to get a decent offer from CarMax and be done in an hour, perfect.

I just had a very good experience selling my Prius on Craig's List. Several nice, normal people were interested and responsive. Sold it for $15,500, about 10% over Blue Book. Took a total of 5 days. Got a cheap, no contract phone at Best Buy plus an hour of talk time for $40 and published that on Craigs List.

I had first taken it to the used division of my local dealership where I had always had it serviced. They offered me $10,350, and then called me the next day to up their offer to $11,350. Much better outcome selling on Craigs List. I know the dealership needs to make money, but their offer was a joke!