Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to stow tow hook (towing eyebolt)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Musterion

18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″
Jan 10, 2013
M8
In my Classic S85, there was no towing hook provided since no threaded receiver. Later MS had a storage compartment for the eyebolt under the carpet of the frunk, built in to the plastic frunk tub. Now we got new Model X, and there doesn’t seem to be obvious place to store the towing eyebolt to prevent it from sliding around. Where is best place to store it? (Granted I know from unfortunate and repeated experience you can tow both MS and MX without it by following the towing guidelines for hooking to the lower suspension arms, but figure now that I have one, I’ll keep it in the car somewhere where it doesn’t annoy me or impale a passenger). The closest official guideline I could find is from Tesla. This graphic shows an obvious place in the frunk front cubby, but there is absolutely no way to mount it in the way that is depicted. Am I missing some mounting bracket?
A7751C3F-158A-4311-8045-D36B527317BB.jpeg

In the current cars (refresh S, I assume, and in my X), the hook *just* fits in the back pocket of the UMC bag. You have to thread it into the loop (left hand thread!) and then use the Velcro to hold it. It’s a little tight because the hook/eye is longer than it used to be. The storage place in the frunk disappeared with the refresh, and the X never had it, of course.

In my Aug 2016 MX, there is a mounting slot in the left side of the lower trunk compartment. The tow hook snaps in against the left vertical side of the lower trunk.
I don't know if this changed with later versions.
Do you mean on the side of the storage area? Don’t see that on mine....

Pretty sure X’s have no spot for it now except the bag...

Do you mean on the side of the storage area? Don’t see that on mine....

Pretty sure X’s have no spot for it now except the bag...

@boaterva : This photo shows the location. The aspect is standing at the back of the car, looking down into the lower trunk compartment (below the floor cover). The hook slot is on the left (driver's) side of the trunk. It's possible that the slot which perfectly holds and stores the tow hook is just coincidence, and was not intentionally designed for this purpose, but I like it.

IMG_20171009_101227290.jpg

@boaterva : This photo shows the location. The aspect is standing at the back of the car, looking down into the lower trunk compartment (below the floor cover). The hook slot is on the left (driver's) side of the trunk. It's possible that the slot which perfectly holds and stores the tow hook is just coincidence, and was not intentionally designed for this purpose, but I like it.

View attachment 252926
Interesting construction, because my recent X has none of that. :D It's a more rectangular box (the 'trunk') with no nooks and crannies that you show in that corner (or any other). That is a good spot for storage and quick access for the hook!

These are all great ideas! So I don’t have the nook of @Solarman004. My trunk is as @boaterva describes. And the charger bag is great idea. I had searched before and saw people complaining their X hook was too big for the bag so I had discarded that idea, but I tried it, and either the bag is bigger now or the hook is smaller, and it just fits as mentioned above.

However, I’d still like to know what the deal is with the nook in the trunk I posted in original post that came from Tesla literature. It seems a perfect place for the hook and is pictured to magically mount there. Does anybody actually have a mounting bracket in there for it and why would they show that otherwise? It happens to be the most logical place for it I think.

Anyway the bag is fine with me. My next question is what you put in the other elastic loop on the back of the bag, next to the tow hook. J1772 adapter?

These are all great ideas! So I don’t have the nook of @Solarman004. My trunk is as @boaterva describes. And the charger bag is great idea. I had searched before and saw people complaining their X hook was too big for the bag so I had discarded that idea, but I tried it, and either the bag is bigger now or the hook is smaller, and it just fits as mentioned above.

However, I’d still like to know what the deal is with the nook in the trunk I posted in original post that came from Tesla literature. It seems a perfect place for the hook and is pictured to magically mount there. Does anybody actually have a mounting bracket in there for it and why would they show that otherwise? It happens to be the most logical place for it I think.

Anyway the bag is fine with me. My next question is what you put in the other elastic loop on the back of the bag, next to the tow hook. J1772 adapter?
I did put the 1772 there, as the much-discussed place in the driver’s door seems to be missing on recent cars. No little place to pop it into. It will fit in the side pocket, of course, but so will about anything. :D. Decided to keep it with all the other charging equipment in the bad. I did find the trailer harness pigtail in the bag also!

Odd, all my towing stuff, the hook/etc came in a nice square black Tesla padded towing bag of its own. Do they not do that anymore?
What ‘hook, etc’? The hitch and the hook have nothing to do with each other, right? The hitch is for towing a trailer and the ‘hook’ is for your car being towed. I’d not call those ‘connected’. :D And there’s no place in that square box/bag I can see for the tow hook.

Like I said, all I’ve ever found is the loop on the charging bag. Sure wish the frunk still had the molded area, as that’s the most logical place.

And, even if you want to ‘connect’ the hitch to the tow hook, my hitch isn’t in the car, and won’t be until I need to tow something!

Resurrecting this chain. Just took delivery of a model year 2020 and unable to figure out where the tow hook stows in the frunk. Does it just sit freely in this slot behind the bumper?

When I opened the trunk for the first time the tow hook was sitting on the floor so I'm assuming the slot is not a good place for it as it will move?

TIA

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
„Does it just sit freely in this slot behind the bumper?“
No, it will fly through the frunk, damaging stuff as it‘s a heavy chunk of steel.

The towing EYE (i refuse to call it a hook because it isn’t) should be in the frunk. Reason being that when the vehicle is completely disabled, the only thing that can be opened at all, is the frunk by using the two emergency loops (lower left behind small cover, looking at front of car).
The „eye“ can then be screwed in the receiver hole on the other side.

I put the „eye“ in the umc bag which always lies in the frunk.

• Love
Reactions: boaterva and ToddS