Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to tap for 12V Constant Power that responds to Ambient Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to add some EL wire around the center console, and don't want them on all the time or having to manually shut them off. I want them to come on and off with the overhead lights and footwell lights. Problem is, Tesla's highly sensitive solid state fuses do not like any additional draw on either one of those.
If I was doing this mod (and I've considered it), I'd tap into the 15A switched power present in VC left. This is located in the driver side footwell, by the A-pillar. Here is a guide, but note that if your car is 2019 or newer, you likely have a red wire already running out of this connector, which makes your life much easier. I had the wire, it was quite high gauge and hard to tap, but now that I have it, there is lots of growth potential for adding new lights or devices to it.

12v Switched - Distribution Block Install in Tesla Model 3 Driver Left Footwell

If I was doing this mod (and I've considered it), I'd tap into the 15A switched power present in VC left. This is located in the driver side footwell, by the A-pillar. Here is a guide, but note that if your car is 2019 or newer, you likely have a red wire already running out of this connector, which makes your life much easier. I had the wire, it was quite high gauge and hard to tap, but now that I have it, there is lots of growth potential for adding new lights or devices to it.

12v Switched - Distribution Block Install in Tesla Model 3 Driver Left Footwell

I'm aware of VCLeft and it's a possibility. But I don't want the lights on all the time. This switched 12V would mean the EL wire lights stay on at all times, day or night.

I'm aware of VCLeft and it's a possibility. But I don't want the lights on all the time. This switched 12V would mean the EL wire lights stay on at all times, day or night.
You probably wouldn't see the lights on during the day, it's too bright. My ambient lights already in the car are always on regardless of time of day, it's just not noticeable in the daytime. If you were really picky about not having them on, I'd add a light sensor with a relay to turn off the connection to switched power during the daytime. Sounds like too much work, IMO, but it's your build!

Reactions: kpeng