Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to wire Charger in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well sure, it's easy to pay less if you are willing to not meet requirements and violate electric code. The breaker alone cannot be had for less than $100, since it must be GFCI.
I could sit here and go back and forth with you, but luckily I can easily retrieve my receipts. I had to take the original breaker back since my panel was a different style and it cost me $13 more than the original breaker that was a whopping $10.87. The installs are up to code.

I had an electrician install the first one in 2016, he was at my house for all of 11 mins. Next electrician installed at a different house in 2019, he was there for 30 mins since he had to move some breakers around to accommodate the new 14-50 slot. Being the inquisitive person, I asked him questions as he was doing the install. 2 homes/installs later and it's a pretty simple task now. The one caveat I'll add, is that my installs have been just below the breaker in the garage (not rocket science).

***EDIT*** Breaker has increased in cost since July, its now $77 locally.

Attachments

• HD Receipt.jpg
    HD Receipt.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I could sit here and go back and forth with you, but luckily I can easily retrieve my receipts. I had to take the original breaker back since my panel was a different style and it cost me $13 more than the original breaker that was a whopping $10.87. The installs are up to code.

I had an electrician install the first one in 2016, he was at my house for all of 11 mins. Next electrician installed at a different house in 2019, he was there for 30 mins since he had to move some breakers around to accommodate the new 14-50 slot. Being the inquisitive person, I asked him questions as he was doing the install. 2 homes/installs later and it's a pretty simple task now. The one caveat I'll add, is that my installs have been just below the breaker in the garage (not rocket science).

I think his point was that NEC now requires a GFCI breaker for this purpose, which would, I believe, be this one at $140

Here in Canada GFCI isn't required (yet?).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My Long Range Y is coming shortly (some time in March supposedly), and I'm now looking at where to place the charger inside my garage. I have a couple places in mind, but curious for those with experience charging and plugging/unplugging cords and moving them back and forth would recco.

Below is the sketchup of the garage and where the Telsa will be parked. I will be putting a panel in the area noted with the panel box below (the main panel is below/behind that area so easy enough).

My father in law is thinking to put the EV charger in place 1. But I'm not a fan of that because I keep imagining hauling the cable to the other side of the garage and over to charge the back end of the Tesla, then having to recoil it every morning sort of thing and it would take most if not all of the cable to get over there. He likes it there simply because there is less wire/conduit to pull.

I like place 2 because it it much closer to the charge port, and if I end up going with two EV's and only one charger, both ports are very close to the charger itself so not much cable to pull and recoil.

Thoughts?

View attachment 754096
Where you locate your charger also depends on where your panel is especially if cost of adding a new charging outlet is a factor. I believe there may also be a limit to how long your cable run is for hardwire hookup and even the NEMA outlet. The charger is best on the driver side garage wall. It’s not difficult to coil that cable - just make it big coils/loops. (PS: I’ll create a separate post for my setup.)

The installs are up to code. [...] I had an electrician install the first one in 2016
Yes, that one would have been up to code, back in 2016. And I had mine done in 2014, where that would have been fine too. I thought you were speaking about a recent installation, where it definitely wouldn't be up to code because of code changes since then. So that is my bad for making an assumption. I didn't think you were talking about installations from several years ago.

Next electrician installed at a different house in 2019
This one in 2019 depends on what state you are in, if they had adopted the 2017 NEC by then. Your location just says "Bravos", so I don't know what states these houses were in.
the original breaker that was a whopping $10.87.
Neither of those are GFCI breakers, which have been required in code since the 2017 NEC.

Last edited:
Yes, that one would have been up to code, back in 2016. And I had mine done in 2014, where that would have been fine too. I thought you were speaking about a recent installation, where it definitely wouldn't be up to code because of code changes since then. So that is my bad for making an assumption. I didn't think you were talking about installations from several years ago.

This one in 2019 depends on what state you are in, if they had adopted the 2017 NEC by then. Your location just says "Bravos", so I don't know what states these houses were in.

Neither of those are GFCI breakers, which have been required in code since the 2017 NEC.
Interesting, but the last electrician that did an install for me in 2019 absolutely did not use a GFCI breaker (OH).

pretty sure the Tesla charger is NOT supposed to have a GFCI. Says in the directions. I installed mine in a two car garage between the two doors. This way if I park in either side can charge the car. Also, bonus is if I park it outside the garage can run the cable under door and charge.

Interesting, but the last electrician that did an install for me in 2019 absolutely did not use a GFCI breaker (OH).
It's not unusual. We've been seeing that a lot of electricians are not keeping up well on the electric car specific updates that are getting put into new code releases, and they are missing these things. Inspectors should notice, but frequently don't. Another one that is frequently missed is how EV charging is now always defined as a continuous load, so it needs a circuit rating that is 125% of the current that the car is using.

I just looked up Ohio, and it shows that the 2017 version was adopted as of July 1, 2019. Heh. So maybe if it was early in the year, this still would have been good without the GFCI breaker then too.

• Disagree
Reactions: S3XY1138
pretty sure the Tesla charger is NOT supposed to have a GFCI. Says in the directions. I installed mine in a two car garage between the two doors. This way if I park in either side can charge the car. Also, bonus is if I park it outside the garage can run the cable under door and charge.
That’s where I want to install mine but I don’t have a lot of width between the doors. How wide is the space between your doors and do you have a picture?

According to the NEC, GFCI-compliant outlets are required for
“Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor
located at or below grade level
not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use.”

I wonder if your property if at a higher level than the adjacent street
and there is a kind a ramp to access your garage,
then would a GFCI receptacle be required?

According to the NEC, GFCI-compliant outlets are required for
“Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor
located at or below grade level
not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use.”

I wonder if your property if at a higher level than the adjacent street
and there is a kind a ramp to access your garage,
then would a GFCI receptacle be required?
You are not parsing the wording properly.
required for two things:
1. Garages
AND
2. other places that fit these conditions

So it applies for garages anyway, regardless. And then there are also other places that could require it if they have those things about floors below grade level, etc.

Thanks, would hardwire it vs a plug.

Why the watt meter? Links to recommended ones?

Tool is Google Sketchup, simply imported a pdf of my home's layout which had the garage on it and quickly "traced" the walls, etc. Took me about 10 minutes, but I'm pretty adept at Sketchup (have done it for all 3 floors of my house and landscaping ... it's an awesome tool for figuring out whether rugs, tables, furniture, etc will fit into a space!).
I vote for the 220-volt outlet and its utility. I leave my charge cord plugged into mine unless I'm going on a trip, so the outlet gets very little physical use/abuse, and there's NO reason to use anything more than an outlet. I have one car where the cord has to be run behind the car to plug it in, and it's a pain, so I would look for ways to get that charger over on the wall near the car's charge port, or at least on the driver's side of the car.

With the Tesla Charger hard wired it simply means you can't use that wiring for ANYTHING else than charging your car. And unless you're anal about wanting to know just how many volts/amps/watts you used to charge your car, the watt meter is worthless. In a dozen years of charging EVs, I've never needed any meters other than what the car shows me: Percent of full. And if I want to use that outlet for anything else requiring 220, I can. Superchargers don't have a watt meter, yet we somehow are able to charge our cars without problems.

OK guys, I suggest we are now beating a dead horse here. All the OP wanted was comments on where to locate a Wall Charger. 😎
Beating a dead horse has it's merits. Wiring a Charger to a wall on the passenger side will be a problem, and this horse needs to be dealt with. With ALL of us chiming in, he gets the idea that it's not just one person's opinion. I mean, he's only got TWO pages of comments!

Beating a dead horse has it's merits. Wiring a Charger to a wall on the passenger side will be a problem, and this horse needs to be dealt with. With ALL of us chiming in, he gets the idea that it's not just one person's opinion. I mean, he's only got TWO pages of comments!

If you end up with two EV's, inevitably either you're going to have the charger on a wall on the passenger side of one of the two vehicles, or end up with two chargers (or two plugs in your case), unless I am missing something? Assuming a two car garage of course.

My view of putting it on the middle wall is 1) If I end up with two EV's and don't really need/want two chargers, that seems to be the best spot and 2) if I don't and it really bugs me, I simply move the Tesla to the other side and the existing ICE car to the side where I show the Telsa.

I don't have it that way now because my kids and wife tend to walk back and forth with their bags and purses and seemingly don't realize that tends to scratch the car on that side. I'd rather her SUV gets scratched than my CUV. :)

LOL

I was referring to the endless debate over a 14-50 versus the Wall Connector, especially as the OP already said he was going with a Wall Connector. 😉