Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to wire Charger in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Long Range Y is coming shortly (some time in March supposedly), and I'm now looking at where to place the charger inside my garage. I have a couple places in mind, but curious for those with experience charging and plugging/unplugging cords and moving them back and forth would recco.

Below is the sketchup of the garage and where the Telsa will be parked. I will be putting a panel in the area noted with the panel box below (the main panel is below/behind that area so easy enough).

My father in law is thinking to put the EV charger in place 1. But I'm not a fan of that because I keep imagining hauling the cable to the other side of the garage and over to charge the back end of the Tesla, then having to recoil it every morning sort of thing and it would take most if not all of the cable to get over there. He likes it there simply because there is less wire/conduit to pull.

I like place 2 because it it much closer to the charge port, and if I end up going with two EV's and only one charger, both ports are very close to the charger itself so not much cable to pull and recoil.

Thoughts?

1641821745155.png

Reactions: Rocky_H
Try getting the charger plug dangling from above the car's charger door.

I noticed various way to hold the cable above the car:

IMG_7402.jpg 20200217_102309.jpg 20200217_101842.jpg

I would recommend using a bracket to hold the UMC weight from the plug, and to install a Wattmeter:

Tesla UMC Bracket.jpg Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Analyzer .jpg

Note: From your representation, the (2) is on the right of the car.
unless you enter in reverse, because the car's plug is on the left side.

By the way, what kind of tool did you used to generate your garage 3D map?

Thanks, would hardwire it vs a plug.

Why the watt meter? Links to recommended ones?

Tool is Google Sketchup, simply imported a pdf of my home's layout which had the garage on it and quickly "traced" the walls, etc. Took me about 10 minutes, but I'm pretty adept at Sketchup (have done it for all 3 floors of my house and landscaping ... it's an awesome tool for figuring out whether rugs, tables, furniture, etc will fit into a space!).

Thanks, would hardwire it vs a plug.
I don't see really the need to buy a wall charger, the UMC provided with the car is fine
but you should order, or get from your local Tesla store, a NEMA 30A or 50A adapter.

Note: Eventually, if you have 2 or more EVs and if you want to share the same circuit breaker,
then in this case, you should get two or more wall chargers connected together to split the load.

Why the watt meter? Links to recommended ones?
I installed a Wattmeter (Amazon) and a box to hold it (Amazon) next to my plug,
so I can quickly determine my monthly energy consumption from my electrical bill.

There about 15% of losses between the energy provided
to the car's AC/DC converter and the energy stored inside the battery.

Note: You should check if you can get WiFi in your garage, this would allow to get new updates.
Otherwise you migh need to install a WiFi router near your car.

Tool is Google Sketchup, simply imported a pdf of my home's layout which had the garage on it and quickly "traced" the walls, etc. Took me about 10 minutes, but I'm pretty adept at Sketchup (have done it for all 3 floors of my house and landscaping ... it's an awesome tool for figuring out whether rugs, tables, furniture, etc will fit into a space!).

Thank you, Sketchup seems to be a great tool. I am in the process to install some Solar Panels
and I found a good tutorial using it: All About #Solar - PlayList: SketchUp Training

Note: Are you using the personal free version?

Here is an other example of a clean home charger instalation:

50733459148_fac9b4d5d8_c.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see really the need to buy a wall charger, the UMC provided with the car is fine
but you should order, or get from your local Tesla store, a NEMA 30A or 50A adapter.

Note: Eventually, if you have 2 or more EVs and if you want to share the same circuit breaker,
then in this case, you should get two or more wall chargers connected together to split the load.

I installed a Wattmeter (Amazon) and a box to hold it (Amazon) next to my plug,
so I can quickly determine my monthly energy consumption from my electrical bill.

There about 15% of losses between the energy provided
to the car's AC/DC converter and the energy stored inside the battery.

Note: You should check if you can get WiFi in your garage, this would allow to get new updates.
Otherwise you migh need to install a WiFi router near your car.

Thank you, Sketchup seems to be a great tool. I am in the process to install some Solar Panels
and I found a good tutorial using it: All About #Solar - PlayList: SketchUp Training

Note: Are you using the personal free version?

Here is an other example of a clean home charger instalation:

View attachment 754148

I am using the 2018 version of Sketchup Make (not the web version), which I think was the last "personal use" version one could install on a PC/computer. I think you'd need to google the download link for it now as they don't advertise it on the site anymore. They've since also restricted use of the 3D warehouse as well, but one can easily go to the online warehouse and download a colada file then import that into their Make model. A bit of a nuisance but easy enough.

It's a PIA to use at first (and is quite resource intensive on the computer), but once you've done a few models it comes easily and again, is an incredible tool for design.

I've not tried the web version, might do that one day since I'd imagine they'll kill off the Make version somehow.

Reactions: Watts_Up
To help with Tesla wall connector placement in my garage, I cut a 18' piece of string (24' for the newer wall connectors) and taped it to the proposed wall connector location and verified that it would reach the car charging port if it was parked forward or backwards. Depending on the height of the garage door opener, you likely will not be able to fully open the trunk unless you back into the garage. Remember to adjust the trunk open height or you will damage the trunk door when it hits the garage door opener.

Reactions: Pianewman
Keep in mind that the charging cord of the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector (the hard wired unit) is 24 feet in length. The charging cord of the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector (the plug in one) is 18.5 feet in length.

Location 2 is better positioned for reaching the charge port of a Tesla vehicle in either parking space. It also depends how cluttered your garage is with stuff.

This next suggestion is a bit forward thinking; your next EV is likely to have a wireless charging capability (see WiTricity). In that case location #1 is better positioned for a wireless charging pad. If you have more than one EV then one VE can use the wireless charging pad, the other EV would use its own charging circuit. (Just thinking about it when you have more than one EV at home to charge the wireless charging solution is less flexible than being able to plug in to charge each EV, one at a time.)

Keep in mind that the charging cord of the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector (the hard wired unit) is 24 feet in length. The charging cord of the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector (the plug in one) is 18.5 feet in length.

Location 2 is better positioned for reaching the charge port of a Tesla vehicle in either parking space. It also depends how cluttered your garage is with stuff.

This next suggestion is a bit forward thinking; your next EV is likely to have a wireless charging capability (see WiTricity). In that case location #1 is better positioned for a wireless charging pad. If you have more than one EV then one VE can use the wireless charging pad, the other EV would use its own charging circuit. (Just thinking about it when you have more than one EV at home to charge the wireless charging solution is less flexible than being able to plug in to charge each EV, one at a time.)

I figure location 1 is close enough to the panel that down the line I could more easily add one there, but in the short term felt the convenience factor of position 2 (Which allows me to park on either side and only use 3 to 10 feet of the cable more enticing. But was wondering what else I am missing.

Had not read up on the wireless charging down the line, sounds interesting!

Also still debating whether the Gen3 TWC is the way to go or a CPHF or other equivalent model. The Grizzl-E Duo seems like possibly the best bet for 2 cars and "mid term future" proofability, since it is 1 unit that has two cables and shares the load accordingly, but isn't available in Canada (yet).

It maybe be fine, but to use the UMC you have to buy the outlet $80, a GFIC breaker $100+, a 14-50 adapter $45, and come sort of cable management system $35, this all totals $260+. The Wall Connector is $550 and a $10 breaker, which is just $300 more. After spending a small fortune on a car I suggest trying to same a few bucks does not make a lot of sense.

But value is still a valid consideration and for that $300 you get:

1. To charge at 48A (assuming a 60A circuit*) instead of 32A
2. The UMC stays in the car so it is not forgotten when needed
3. If you add a 2nd wall connector later on, power sharing is already built it
4. The wall connector receives firmware updates, so Tesla can add new features. WiFi power sharing, for example, was a recent addition

* the cost of a 50-amp 3-conductor wire (for a 14-50 outlet) is about the same as a 60-amp 2-conductor wire (for a wall connector), so wiring cost is typically a wash.

It maybe be fine, but to use the UMC you have to buy the outlet $80, a GFIC breaker $100+, a 14-50 adapter $45, and come sort of cable management system $35, this all totals $260+. The Wall Connector is $550 and a $10 breaker, which is just $300 more. After spending a small fortune on a car I suggest trying to same a few bucks does not make a lot of sense.

4. The wall connector receives firmware updates, so Tesla can add new features. WiFi power sharing, for example, was a recent addition

* the cost of a 50-amp 3-conductor wire (for a 14-50 outlet) is about the same as a 60-amp 2-conductor wire (for a wall connector), so wiring cost is typically a wash.

I still can't figure out, on the Gen 3 Connector, if my second vehicle is not a Tesla, can I still use another Gen 3 Wall connector to power share and charge the other vehicle (with a J1772 adapter)? If so...that would be great and the most cost effective solution so far as all other equivalent chargers up here are the same cost or more than the Telsa one (CAD$700). So if I end up needing two and two Gen 3's would work, great.

I still can't figure out, on the Gen 3 Connector, if my second vehicle is not a Tesla, can I still use another Gen 3 Wall connector to power share and charge the other vehicle (with a J1772 adapter)? If so...that would be great and the most cost effective solution so far as all other equivalent chargers up here are the same cost or more than the Telsa one (CAD$700). So if I end up needing two and two Gen 3's would work, great.
Yes! Just use a Tesla to J1772 adapter such as this (for example):

I like place 2 because it it much closer to the charge port, and if I end up going with two EV's and only one charger, both ports are very close to the charger itself so not much cable to pull and recoil.
You are correct. It's going to be a straight-up cord length problem. Having it diagonally on the opposite side of the car just isn't going to reach, especially since that wall isn't even right up against the car. You do need it at the back end of the car, but it doesn't matter too much if that's on the left or right side. It's not a big deal to lay the cord down on the floor behind the car to get to the charge port on the left.

People tend to forget the extra length needed in the diagonals as this is a 3D world we have to live in. It will need an extra 3-4 feet to go down to the floor, and then another 3-4 feet to come back up to the height of the charge port.

Hmm, maybe the costs in CA are ridiculously high, but I spent all of $57 for the NEMA 14-50 outlet, breaker and 6/3 NOMEX.

I'd be happy with the Georgia pricing, here in Toronto Canada it's about double what @ATPMSD quoted (albeit in CAD). Versus $700 for the Tesla wall charger + $50 for the breaker. Though I am going to add a subpanel and 100 amp breaker on top of that but would have done that regardless with a 14-50.