Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where will future models be produced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla is going to open a factory in Shanghai and another in Europe, but presumably those will be used to fulfill demand in Asia and Europe. So it seems they will need a lot more capacity in North America to satisfy demand in the US, Canada, etc. when new models come out: the Model Y, pick-up truck, Roadster 2.0, semi truck, etc.

Sorry if this has been addressed or discussed, but I haven’t seen any credible answers or discussions. Thanks very much.

I know Tesla is going to open a factory in Shanghai and another in Europe, but presumably those will be used to fulfill demand in Asia and Europe. So it seems they will need a lot more capacity in North America to satisfy demand in the US, Canada, etc. when new models come out: the Model Y, pick-up truck, Roadster 2.0, semi truck, etc.

Sorry if this has been addressed or discussed, but I haven’t seen any credible answers or discussions. Thanks very much.

Until Tesla actually acquires the building, or the permit to build such building they (and we) don’t know.

I think Tesla has its hands full right now.

They said production of Semi will begin in 2019, this may get pushed because of the Model 3 production issues, I’m not sure. There is speculation and belief that Semi will be produced at GF1 in Nevada. Tesla certainly has enough land around GF1 to build facilities to manufacture many many different things. I think we will find out in March where model Y will be built in US. We may find out this year where Semi will be produced.

The short answer is: No one outside of Tesla knows.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo

There's no good answer to your question, which is likely one of the reasons Musk is cranky. It takes capital and time to build manufacturing capacity. Tesla apparently doesn't have access to sufficient capital and is literally years behind an ideal production build-out plan.

The semi may be assembled in Sparks with some parts made in Fremont. This arrangement takes advantage of backhaul capacity available in the current system. The model Y may be built in Fremont as demand shifts to that vehicle from the model 3. The roadster is more of a hand built vehicle and may be built in a new building in the Fremont area. Tesla probably has little financial incentive to build as many Roadsters as possible.

I'm sure they are looking at building the Model Y in Sparks, but that is not ideal. With sufficient capital they would build another factory in the eastern US.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo