Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where would you like to see a new Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say the number of new super chargers added in 2016 in the UK was a let down on what Elon promised. I think its important that these charger cover the UK's main arteries to at least the same level as the Ecotricity network and more if possible. In the sort term surely tesla could do a deal with Ecotricity to enable Tesla owners to use their chademo chargers for free whilst they build out the network? Tesla need to work harder to roll out stations in the areas of the country without any superchargers. When I take delivery of my X I am sure I will use these a lot and am lucky that my main route seems well covered but I have already read on these forums that the chargers I intend to use such as Winchester and Brent cross are often full as they only have 2 stalls so clearly the number of bays need looking into also.

I agree the rollout of SC's last year wasn't great and there are gaps in the network but there is no way the SC network either will or should match the Ecotricity network in terms of number of sites. As I posted above, the SC's are there for long distance driving, e.g. more than your battery can manage in a day before you get back home, or to a destination charge point. Any Tesla can manage approx150 miles in a day worst case scenario , so unless your round trip is over that (or whatever your Tesla can manage - I've said 150 as that's what I think my S 60D will do worst case) charging doesn't come into play.

This is starkly different to the Ecotricity network which was/is aimed at the lower capacity EV's, e.g. the Nissan Leaf. I'm ready to be corrected but think the Ecotricity network was partially funded by Nissan. They are there to serve different markets, but thankfully the CHAdeMO adapter means Tesla users can plug the SC gaps, albeit at £6 for 30 mins unless you are an Ecotricity domestic user and then the first 52 are "free".

Ecotricity and Tesla had a major bust up, the details of which I'm not familiar with, but the net result was Ecotricity had a monopoly of charging sites at motorway service stations. Tesla had no option but to put SC's where they could, hence the 2 bay sites at places that you wouldn't choose, e.g. Sainsbury's at Badger Farm and Norton Hotel. These will be replaced in due course, and obviously the quicker the better. All new sites seem to be at least 8 and preferably 12 stalls, which they will need to be to cope with the hopeful influx once the 3 hits the streets, although that won't be for at least a couple of years or so.

I very much doubt that will ever be the case.
In time , who knows , 10 - 15 years years from now with a possible 200,000 + Tesla`s on the road ? It is unlikely that Tesla will have the ability to provide many 20+bay SC stations around the UK to cope with the demand so my guess is there will be a lot more 2-5 bay locations and already to date we are seeing the number of destination chargers increase quite quickly, perhaps once relationships with Tesla and Destination charging locations develop further we may see some of these being upgraded to Super charger status?

In time , who knows , 10 - 15 years years from now with a possible 200,000 + Tesla`s on the road ? It is unlikely that Tesla will have the ability to provide many 20+bay SC stations around the UK to cope with the demand so my guess is there will be a lot more 2-5 bay locations and already to date we are seeing the number of destination chargers increase quite quickly, perhaps once relationships with Tesla and Destination charging locations develop further we may see some of these being upgraded to Super charger status?

I would hope that in time the fragmented charging options are replaced/evolve into one standard charging connector, much like at a petrol station where the make of car is irrelevant, the only choice is petrol or diesel. Although demand will, hopefully, increase dramatically over the years, we mustn't forget that most journeys/daily driving for most people (sweeping generalisation I know) will be catered for by home charging.

There is of course then the issue of those that don't have home charging, but I'm sure there are a number of solutions to that problem that those cleverer than me (of which there are a great many) can come up with.

In time , who knows , 10 - 15 years years from now
Over that timescale, I think we're going to see massive changes in transport, and the infrastructure that supports it.

Tesla's SuperCharger network is necessary today to remove the biggest objection to purchase - convenient and (fairly) quick recharging. In 3-5 years time, I don't think they'll have that issue. As more manufacturers produce BEVs, the charging infrastructure will improve and become commoditised. Tesla may choose to retain their own charging stations for market differentiation reasons, but I doubt they'll increase investment in new sites to the point where they're placed every 50 miles or so.

Some possibly interesting reading:

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7480/CBP-7480.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...70/ulev-modern-tranport-bill-consultation.pdf
New ‘ultra-fast 350 kW charging stations’ for EVs to be deployed in Europe in partnership with Audi, BMW and others

summary:
  • UK Govt looks like it has recognised the need to improve charging infrastructure and address the low levels of interoperability between the existing charging networks
  • Faster charging is coming, driven by large car manufacturers, who see the same issue that Tesla did

was a let down on what Elon promised

I have no knowledge of the details, but I can believe that Planning might be a nightmare in the UK, or site-owners wanting an arm-plus-leg, so it may be that they are struggling to convert Intent into Reality. Also possible that Tesla diverted SC rollout funds sideways in 2016 to tool up for M3 in the knowledge that SC rollout in 2017 would be time-enough for the M3 stampede ...

Elon-time is elastic!

Destination charging locations develop further we may see some of these being upgraded to Super charger status?

If punters are going to be there for a couple of hours (or all night) I can't see them wanting to move their vehicles in the middle of that time, so might as well take all that time to do slow-ish charging - cheaper kit, and lower power requirement.

fragmented charging options are replaced/evolve into one standard charging connector

Its not as ubiquitous, but adaptors exist to plug the standard Tesla UMC charging cable into "anything" - including ChaDEMO now and no doubt the forthcoming CCS soon. Once the Betamax-VHS race is over, and won, then new vehicles will presumably just have the universal socket. Before then there are technical issues to sort out over what-voltage/amperage and so on, which will mean some mayhem in the short term.

the issue of those that don't have home charging

I have no crystal ball either, but given that water and electricity was retrofitted to every house, gas to most of them, cable/fibre to many it doesn't seem unrealistic to me to think that there will be induction charging plates embedded into roads, or roadside parking meter equivalents with a charging socket, "before long". The only downer is that you can only sell the power to users when the replace their existing Fossil with an Electric vehicle, and that process may well be spread over a decade, which it s along time to wait for income from an infrastructure investment. Sticking Cable in and arm-twisting a whole street of houses must be easier, by comparison.

Reactions: DJP31
M27 Services at Rownhams both sides, or Ringwood (small town centre area but with good parking areas), or Whitley( Fareham shopping and entertainment area. All have other stuff around to keep occupied while charging, and are nicely mid placed on South coast between existing SC at Exeter and Maidstone, although a further one towards Brighton would fully service the South coast route I feel.

M27 Services at Rownhams both sides, or Ringwood (small town centre area but with good parking areas), or Whitley( Fareham shopping and entertainment area. All have other stuff around to keep occupied while charging, and are nicely mid placed on South coast between existing SC at Exeter and Maidstone, although a further one towards Brighton would fully service the South coast route I feel.

This area is missing at least 1 SC site I feel. From Winchester down to Brighton there isn't anything there. Along past Portsmouth to Brighton, up to Gatwick is a bit of a hole there.

I agree Rownhams would be a good location and that area is a black hole at the moment. Ringwood is not ideal as a Supercharger location and by your description neither is Whitley. Superchargers are to assist long distance travel, with the typical charging time being approximately what you would associate with a relatively short comfort break, e.g. 20-30 mins. The places you mention are much more suited to destination chargers, where you will be parking for an extended period and shopping, meal or cinema etc. Accessibility is also a factor, diverting into Ringwood with heavy traffic (especially during holiday times) would add very unwelcome time to the process.

I agree Rownhams would be a good location and that area is a black hole at the moment. Ringwood is not ideal as a Supercharger location and by your description neither is Whitley. Superchargers are to assist long distance travel, with the typical charging time being approximately what you would associate with a relatively short comfort break, e.g. 20-30 mins. The places you mention are much more suited to destination chargers, where you will be parking for an extended period and shopping, meal or cinema etc. Accessibility is also a factor, diverting into Ringwood with heavy traffic (especially during holiday times) would add very unwelcome time to the process.

Splitting hairs a little I believe somewhere at the end of that M3 junction before the driver commits to either Southampton way or Portsmouth way so the Portsmouth/Brighton drivers don't need to turn the opposite way West on M27 for a charge and come back again, this would add 30mins + to the time needed.

It is a small point admittedly but that would be my shout, how far towards that end of the M3 I'm not sure, maybe the Jnc with the A34 where there is a lot of space, a Tesco etc but this would be close to the Winchester sites.

Just musing aloud.....

Splitting hairs a little I believe somewhere at the end of that M3 junction before the driver commits to either Southampton way or Portsmouth way so the Portsmouth/Brighton drivers don't need to turn the opposite way West on M27 for a charge and come back again, this would add 30mins + to the time needed.

It is a small point admittedly but that would be my shout, how far towards that end of the M3 I'm not sure, maybe the Jnc with the A34 where there is a lot of space, a Tesco etc but this would be close to the Winchester sites.

Just musing aloud.....

There's probably be a case for more than one site, I'm not familiar enough with the other routes to comment. Fleet services was due for Superchargers and then the fire occurred, no idea if that will bring forward or push back installation.

CAN ANY ONE IN TESLA GIVE ME AN UPDATE WHEN ARE THEY LIKELY TO INTRODUCE SUPERCHARGING POINTS THROUGHOUT A MASSIVE BLACK HOLE ALONG THE SOUTH COAST OF THE UK FROM HASTING TO PORTSMOUTH,SOUTH SIDE OF M25, EAST & WEST SUSSEX, HAMPSHIRE, DORSET, DEVON & CORNWALL??

I TRAVEL FAIR DISTANCES ALONG THESE ROUTES AND DESTINATION CHARGING IS NOT A PRACTICAL SOLUTION.

@Simon.S Save your breath - I have been asking the same question since 2014. For 2 years they kept the pin on the Map showing at Supercharger "Coming Soon" in the Pease Pottage / Gatwick area. The top man knows that it is the top niggle amongst users especially as they have now got one in East Anglia / Scotland / Channel Tunnel / S Wales. No one knows why they cannot get it sorted or at least put some fast chargers at their Gatwick Service centre.

@Simon.S Save your breath - I have been asking the same question since 2014. For 2 years they kept the pin on the Map showing at Supercharger "Coming Soon" in the Pease Pottage / Gatwick area. The top man knows that it is the top niggle amongst users especially as they have now got one in East Anglia / Scotland / Channel Tunnel / S Wales. No one knows why they cannot get it sorted or at least put some fast chargers at their Gatwick Service centre.
Oh Dear, Tesla need to get the act together along the South Coast then?

CAN ANY ONE IN TESLA GIVE ME AN UPDATE WHEN ARE THEY LIKELY TO INTRODUCE SUPERCHARGING POINTS THROUGHOUT A MASSIVE BLACK HOLE ALONG THE SOUTH COAST OF THE UK FROM HASTING TO PORTSMOUTH,SOUTH SIDE OF M25, EAST & WEST SUSSEX, HAMPSHIRE, DORSET, DEVON & CORNWALL??

I TRAVEL FAIR DISTANCES ALONG THESE ROUTES AND DESTINATION CHARGING IS NOT A PRACTICAL SOLUTION.

+1 M3/M27 Portsmouth A27 along to M23/A23 nothing down this whole area except the odd destination charger as mentioned.

+1 for M27. I thought the area by Port Solent would be good -24x7 Tesco, Hotels, Restaurant, Pizza Hut / KFC etc but maybe not public enough to feel safe at all times.
Whiteley would be good as it's close to the motorway and en route to Brighton / Chichester / Southampton etc
Plenty of land there too!

Otherwise maybe around Chichester and then one around Southampton / rownhams area

+1 for M27. I thought the area by Port Solent would be good -24x7 Tesco, Hotels, Restaurant, Pizza Hut / KFC etc but maybe not public enough to feel safe at all times.
Whiteley would be good as it's close to the motorway and en route to Brighton / Chichester / Southampton etc
Plenty of land there too!

Otherwise maybe around Chichester and then one around Southampton / rownhams area

Whitely might be a good shout, lots there, plenty of space, Cinema, Restaurants, 5 Guys Burger Joint, open late and just off the main M27 Jnc. It it a bit similar to Cribbs Causeway, I could see a 4-6 bay charger servicing that whole area pretty well.

If it is true that 2 bay SC sites are being phased out then the two sites off the A34 for Winchester may be closing which would be a shame.