Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where would you like to see a new Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anywhere on the A1 between Sunderland and South Mimms

The more the merrier, but if North of A1 / A14 junction that would catch anyone on A14 going North so they could pick up some charge. Going South most? should be able to reach South Mimms on A1 or Birchanger Green, Bishop's Stortford on M11

For me, personally, the A1(M)/A605 Peterborough junction would be ideal - pretty sure that was talked of as a site last Summer. Ecotricity are there already, dunno if that is a factor any more ...

For an out-and-back in the day Peterborough would help for, say, London-Lincoln-London - London-Lincoln-Peterborough is 200 miles

Peterborough-Sunderland is also 200 miles, so just about reachable charging there, but as you say a charger further North wouldn't need to max the SOC t Peterborough.

Either way, we need way more than exist at present, and then the "can I make that particular Leap" will become moot. Getting the number that have been promised for 2017 will do me ... the 2016 target was missed by a huge margin though ...

Whilst all locations are welcome, Newport Pagnell, Woodall and Fleet are all on routes that are already served. Leicester helps between Northampton and Barnsley but that leg is only 100 miles; of course they all provide more choice and help for anyone going "sideways" rather than up and down the M1 / M3, although you have to be on the Motorway to use anything at the services.

Hopefully there will be emphasis on routes that are not served at all soon.

Tesla have shown elsewhere (notably Califonia) that they prioritise relieving congestion over opening up new routes.

While this is frustrating for us waiting for our favourite routes to be equipped, IMO this is absolutely the right approach (both from Tesla's point of view and ours).

It's the essence of supercharging that you expect to get it done quickly and fit within the natural stops on your journey. If you can't rely on a supercharger because it is overcrowded, it might as well not be there in the first place.

Of these ones, Fleet is desperately needed to relieve Winchester Badger Farm; Woodall is desperately needed to relieve Tankersley. Warwick isn't yet desperate, but will relieve Oxford and Hopwood park which are both busy.

While I think that Fleet maybe a good location, there are a points in London, but nothing on the South Coast, so my vote is for either Rownhams Services, or better still at the Morrisions supermarket close to Junction 2 of the M27, we need to help the west-east flow as well as the north south

Reactions: TC56
While I think that Fleet maybe a good location, there are a points in London, but nothing on the South Coast, so my vote is for either Rownhams Services, or better still at the Morrisions supermarket close to Junction 2 of the M27, we need to help the west-east flow as well as the north south

Rownhams or one very close to it would be perfect, and Fleet is a definite, just a question of how quickly. Initially it will be southbound but Tesla will make sure there is access from the northbound carriageway, before coming back and installing on the north side. That's a commitment they have recently made wherever they are initially installing one side only and is excellent news.

The South Coast is barren, there has been a pink blob on the "Supercharger hopeful" sites for a couple of years around the Gatwick area. There's obviously major problems in finding a site that meets the criteria in that space.

New Supercharger near Norwich please!!!

My enquiries have unearthed this welcome news -

Adding to the facilities already at Norton Park, Stretton and Tankersley, QHotels are currently in the process of installing a supercharging facility at Dunston Hall NR14 8PQ which will have a dedicated 2 bay site. Final commissioning of the electrics is in hand and should be up and running within the next 2 weeks.

Just what I wanted...

I have to say the number of new super chargers added in 2016 in the UK was a let down on what Elon promised. I think its important that these charger cover the UK's main arteries to at least the same level as the Ecotricity network and more if possible. In the sort term surely tesla could do a deal with Ecotricity to enable Tesla owners to use their chademo chargers for free whilst they build out the network? Tesla need to work harder to roll out stations in the areas of the country without any superchargers. When I take delivery of my X I am sure I will use these a lot and am lucky that my main route seems well covered but I have already read on these forums that the chargers I intend to use such as Winchester and Brent cross are often full as they only have 2 stalls so clearly the number of bays need looking into also.

I waited to buy my MS until the SC network had matured enough to match my intended routes. I google mapped every possible route I would make in the UK! Once it had reached that critical-mass, I could justify it to my other half.

I waited to buy my MS until the SC network had matured enough to match my intended routes. I google mapped every possible route I would make in the UK! Once it had reached that critical-mass, I could justify it to my other half.
Remember you are starting the journey with a full battery from the home charge.
As long as there is a Supercharger within 200 miles you will be OK.

New Supercharger near Norwich please!!!

My enquiries have unearthed this welcome news -

Adding to the facilities already at Norton Park, Stretton and Tankersley, QHotels are currently in the process of installing a supercharging facility at Dunston Hall NR14 8PQ which will have a dedicated 2 bay site. Final commissioning of the electrics is in hand and should be up and running within the next 2 weeks.

Just what I wanted...

Looks like Dunston Hall is a Destination Charger after all. Point is now live on charger map. (7KW only). Not what I wanted!

Anything less than 6 bays is very unlikely to be a Supercharger site. The odd few existing sites are historic from when Tesla were in dispute with Ecotricity and were desperate to get sites up and running. A hotel is perfect for a Destination charger, not a Supercharger unless it happens to also be adjacent to a major road network, such as the new Hilton Supercharger near Heathrow.

Remember you are starting the journey with a full battery from the home charge.
As long as there is a Supercharger within 200 miles you will be OK.

OK, then I have a challenge for you. I work in West Wales on a regular basis as a building inspector. Plot me a route from my office on the Wirral, to Aberystwyth (overnight stay) then several forays into remote locations in the hills and then onto Fishguard and Haverfordwest (overnight stay) then trips out to St David's, Milford Haven and Pembroke Docks. Another overnight stay in Haverfordwest then return home, via Aberystwyth. I have a Model X 90D so probably at least 200 miles range with the twisty roads and hills.

Now show me how I Supercharge!

OK, then I have a challenge for you. I work in West Wales on a regular basis as a building inspector. Plot me a route from my office on the Wirral, to Aberystwyth (overnight stay) then several forays into remote locations in the hills and then onto Fishguard and Haverfordwest (overnight stay) then trips out to St David's, Milford Haven and Pembroke Docks. Another overnight stay in Haverfordwest then return home, via Aberystwyth. I have a Model X 90D so probably at least 200 miles range with the twisty roads and hills.

Now show me how I Supercharge!
If you ask me nicely I might let you destination charge at my Aber home!!