Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where would you like to see a new Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • somewhere in mid-Wales
  • on the A30 in Cornwall (Bodmin, maybe)
  • on the M1 in the Nottingham-Derby area
  • somewhere in the Lakes. Penrith or Keswick perhaps
I'd also like the current 2 bay SpC in Exeter replaced by a larger one.

I'd like to see the ones that were planned for 2016 ... the only ones that actually opened were 3 in Jun/Jul and 3 in Dec, and several closed (can't seem to find them in Supercharger Info status report :( ), so nett only a couple opened.

... if the ones promised for 2017 rollout then that will do me instead.

Here's the "actuals" map in Oct 2016 compared with planned 2016

SuperChargerEurope_201610_2016.gif

Here's the "actuals" map in Dec 2016 compared with planned 2017

SuperChargerEU_201612_2017.jpg

@cookielovers, are you suggesting 3 SpC in Winchester, another in Southampton and one in Bournemouth? I think that might be optimistic!

Looking at the 2017 map that @WannabeOwner posted, I don't see any new locations on the south coast, unfortunately.
I've never travelled that route, but wouldn't Brighton - Southampton - Exeter serve travel along that coast?

I am pretty sure they were going to add super chargers at fleet services. However the fire on the west bound side has temporarily closed services. Perhaps they can add them at the same time as the rebuild takes place. Yes my idea was to over south coast travel just ideas where they could be don't expect they will do all of them in the long run we need lots of these things not just a few

I am pretty sure they were going to add super chargers at fleet services. However the fire on the west bound side has temporarily closed services. Perhaps they can add them at the same time as the rebuild takes place. Yes my idea was to over south coast travel just ideas where they could be don't expect they will do all of them in the long run we need lots of these things not just a few

Fleet was a definite, Welcome Break just wouldn't confirm when. I went passed it today and the whole site is closed, and it looks the the petrol station is having a makeover too. It would make perfect sense for the Superchargers to go in now, but how long before it reopens is anyone's guess. I wouldn't want to be the Insurer picking up the claim for the fire damage and associated losses!

The south east to west corridor is severely lacking and undoubtedly Tesla are well aware of this.

Reactions: paso904
I favour off-motorway charging at junctions - albeit that I don't want to drive more than a minute or two off (that said, it takes that long to negotiate the convoluted spaghetti of main motorway service stations, particularly when they are clogged up ...). Reason being that the N-stalls are shared between traffic travelling in both directions, so if holiday traffic is predominantly in one direction (and then the other after the weekend) the stalls better serve the traffic. This is probably all the more relevant given that a refuel is 30-60 minutes, rather than 5 minutes for Petrol.

• Southampton area on M27
  • Bournemouth area
  • Fleet services on M3
  • Badger farm Winchester increased to 8 to 10 bays or a new site with 8-10 bays
  • Winchester services M3
  • Brighton

+1

I'm also looking to travel up to Birmingham NEC and back in my S60D and currently struggling to do so unless I take a big detour and add a few hours to my journey

+1

I'm also looking to travel up to Birmingham NEC and back in my S60D and currently struggling to do so unless I take a big detour and add a few hours to my journey

+1 There is some SC gaps from Winchester-Portsmouth-Brighton-Guildford in that Southern Area that is only covered by Gatwick Tesla Store.
I have a run down the M5/A34 and the SC at Norton Park and Badger Sainsbury's help but past there that entire coast is a bit of a no mans land.

Reactions: TC56
M1 / A1(M) at 50 mile intervals from Northampton upwards e.g. derby/Nottingham area, Workshop/Sheffield, (Barnsley already there), Leeds east (i.e. M1 at Wetherby), Darlington etc... Also some east of A1 e.g. Doncaster.

Finally M62 either Birch or Hartshead Moor plus Burtonwood.

M6 Lancaster / Killingholme lake (for lake district).

i.e pretty much where ecotricity have theirs .. now the legal discussion has completed.

Reactions: tonyj01
M1 / A1(M) at 50 mile intervals from Northampton upwards e.g. derby/Nottingham area, Workshop/Sheffield, (Barnsley already there), Leeds east (i.e. M1 at Wetherby), Darlington etc... Also some east of A1 e.g. Doncaster.

Finally M62 either Birch or Hartshead Moor plus Burtonwood.

M6 Lancaster / Killingholme lake (for lake district).

i.e pretty much where ecotricity have theirs .. now the legal discussion has completed.

The Supercharge network is designed to facilitate long distance travelling. Using a worst case scenario a Tesla can manage at 150 miles between charges. Why would you advocate chargers every 50 miles?

The Supercharge network is designed to facilitate long distance travelling. Using a worst case scenario a Tesla can manage at 150 miles between charges. Why would you advocate chargers every 50 miles?

Agreed - but you tend to "peal off" the main routes and head into the back country. E.g. I have friends in Darlington. No problem one way from Manchester but a return is too far ... and I'm on the limits doing Manchester->Darlington->Leeds Supercharger. If they move to where they want to go next I'd struggle / be limited to double charging. I'd rather have the choice... that's why we have services on the motorway at the intervals they exist today... ICEs can get beyond those distances between services (obviously), so why shouldn't Tesla's?

Agreed - but you tend to "peal off" the main routes and head into the back country. E.g. I have friends in Darlington. No problem one way from Manchester but a return is too far ... and I'm on the limits doing Manchester->Darlington->Leeds Supercharger. If they move to where they want to go next I'd struggle / be limited to double charging. I'd rather have the choice... that's why we have services on the motorway at the intervals they exist today... ICEs can get beyond those distances between services (obviously), so why shouldn't Tesla's?
Totally agree Milkfloat, in time Superchargers will hopefully be within 50 miles or less on all main arterys/motorways. I actually live in Darlington and have just returned from Manchester after catching up with friends for a couple of days . This journey was done in an ICE and driving back up I did think that once my MX arrives a supercharger in Wetherby would be perfect ! Wetherby is approx 75 miles to the next northern supercharger (Washington) (if heading up the A1) which I hope In the future will be the absolute maximum distance between superchargers.To ease range anxiety the SC network really needs to expand significantly. We are getting there with the plans for faster charging but ultimately the number and distance of SC to make this work properly is crucial. I will be using my Tesla for a lot of business miles so being able to have plenty of options where I charge will certainly be extremely helpful.
Regards Tanfaldo

Last edited:
I'm not talking with any authority here as firstly my S is on the way so as I've no real world driving experience, and secondly I'm a soft Southerner who gets a nose bleed north of Watford.

However, my understandng is that most charging is done from home, leaving with a full tank every day and topping up at Superchargers during long journeys. Most of the trips I have trialled via EV trip planners route you via Superchargers stopping at them for the minimum charge required to get you to your destination with whatever safety margin you've allowed, or the next Supercharger. That's a fundamentally different approach to driving an ICE and one that takes getting used to.

There are many examples of owners driving 30k plus miles a year and whilst the network needs improvement and expansion there's no way Superchargers will be every 50 miles.

I think the problem we have is traffic congestion where on the map a site looks good but the reality is it's a traffic hot spot and could put 20/30 mins in your journey before taking charging into account. I think Bristol may be an example of this but as I said at the start I don't have the car. Yet

For me the problem is that Tesla did not roll out anything like as many Superchargers in 2016 as per their plan. With M3 coming I am hopeful that that will change in 2017 (along with ramping up service centres). But time will tell.

If we visit friends and stay overnight I charge up from 13 AMP plug (initially I felt embarrassed to ask, despite the fact that all the people I visited said "Are you going to plug in then?"). A key change, for me, was when I got my head around not needing to be fully-charged and only charging enough-to-get-to-destination. Clearly if doing more than 200 miles in a day some charging will be needed ... but I leave home with 100% on those days, and plug in overnight wherever I am staying, and so far have only needed to use Superchargers (although I have detoured a bit, but given that a Supercharger is a minimum of twice as fast as anything else the maths is often better anyway, plus the expectation that Supercharger will be in working order and not blocked by two slow-charging vehicles for an hour or so ...)

There are many examples of owners driving 30k plus miles a year and whilst the network needs improvement and expansion there's no way Superchargers will be every 50 miles.

My car is in the 30K p.a. bracket. Most daily journeys are within range, but my logs show that I have used Superchargers more than I expected, and AFAIAC it's been just fine for me ... more SCs would mean I had more direct / easier journeys but that's about it. Of course from someone who regularly drives, or wants to drive, to X that is badly served, at present, then that would be a problem.

For me, starting from / returning to East Anglia, the most helpful place for a SC would be up the A1 around Peterborough, so that I don't have to go further West and up / down the M1 when travelling Up North.

I have to say the number of new super chargers added in 2016 in the UK was a let down on what Elon promised. I think its important that these charger cover the UK's main arteries to at least the same level as the Ecotricity network and more if possible. In the sort term surely tesla could do a deal with Ecotricity to enable Tesla owners to use their chademo chargers for free whilst they build out the network? Tesla need to work harder to roll out stations in the areas of the country without any superchargers. When I take delivery of my X I am sure I will use these a lot and am lucky that my main route seems well covered but I have already read on these forums that the chargers I intend to use such as Winchester and Brent cross are often full as they only have 2 stalls so clearly the number of bays need looking into also.