Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Hong Kong island need more superchargers. Tesla should place more 40A charger in different places than keeping building supercharger. Supercharger is quite costly and can only serve limited car. One superchargers cost is equal to fifty 40A charger. If Tesla talks to a major properties developer like SHK, then there will be 50 more places that Tesla can charge. (SHK owns Wilson parking and >50 malls). This idea maybe too idealistic that SHK would give free parking spot to Tesla, but remember Tesla owners have a certain consumption ability. I think this is a win-win solution.

I don't think Hong Kong island need more superchargers. Tesla should place more 40A charger in different places than keeping building supercharger. Supercharger is quite costly and can only serve limited car. One superchargers cost is equal to fifty 40A charger. If Tesla talks to a major properties developer like SHK, then there will be 50 more places that Tesla can charge. (SHK owns Wilson parking and >50 malls). This idea maybe too idealistic that SHK would give free parking spot to Tesla, but remember Tesla owners have a certain consumption ability. I think this is a win-win solution.

Also note that Tesla are swapping out lots of 32A wall chargers (50+, 100+ ?) with the 40A unit, and supposedly 80A or 3phase units early next year for those with dual chargers. That is a lot of barely used 32A wall chargers that could be cleaned up and donated. The cable is standard Mennekes type 2, suitable for any EV with that standard connector (not just Tesla). I would love to see 100+ Tesla 32A Wall Connectors in shopping centre car parks around town.

I think Tesla Hong Kong did their math on the number of Model S owners with SC enabled before installing those SCs. I'm not worried having more superchargers in Hong Kong because they are chargers as well as ad signs to promote the company. I'm also not worried that they are adding more SCs on Hong Kong island because that will mean they know where most of the owners live and where they would normally visit. The more on Hong Kong island means they will have to add more in Kowloon and NT soon to keep owners across the harbour happy.

cyberport supercharger
Screenshot_2014-11-07-20-56-49-1.png

lee garden supercharger
IMG-20141107-WA0001.jpg

Agreed Kowloon and NT need super chargers more than the HK island.

I think Tesla should stop putting those super chargers in shopping malls but some more open areas to maximize the turnover while keeping related costs in check. My experience from Hopewell in last few months did suggest almost no Tesla drivers would leave once charging was done. The 2 hours free parking there made that turnover even lower in my opinion as it encourages us to stay longer than needed. Kai Tak was even worse - those SC-parking spots were not rented by Tesla and thus often occupied by non-Tesla drivers.

Places like CLP properties (power stations or its buildings), West Kowloon open area (temporary one still good) , Science Park, Tai Po industrial estate, Shatin Racecourse (open on non-racing days) might be worth to consider.

Agreed Kowloon and NT need super chargers more than the HK island.

I think Tesla should stop putting those super chargers in shopping malls but some more open areas to maximize the turnover while keeping related costs in check. My experience from Hopewell in last few months did suggest almost no Tesla drivers would leave once charging was done. The 2 hours free parking there made that turnover even lower in my opinion as it encourages us to stay longer than needed. Kai Tak was even worse - those SC-parking spots were not rented by Tesla and thus often occupied by non-Tesla drivers.

Places like CLP properties (power stations or its buildings), West Kowloon open area (temporary one still good) , Science Park, Tai Po industrial estate, Shatin Racecourse (open on non-racing days) might be worth to consider.

It really depends a lot on the Tesla owners' self-discipline, which was why I suggested having LINE QR code printed on a paper and leaving it on the windshield for those waiting to use the SCs to contact them without sharing phone number with the world like Whatsapp. Then again, the owners should often check their phone app and vacate the SCs once it is done. Then they don't even need the LINE QR code.

I think it is insufficient SC at Kln & NT side, I'll suggest to build one open SC at the metered car parking lots along Castle Peak Road where usage is very low. The one near the Tuen Mun bus exchange terminal is a good selection. I never see it full. Although there is no facilities around, the scenery there is very good, one can charge his car there and have a stroll along the seaside. I also suggest that these Parking spaces be installed with one hour parking instead of two hr for the rest of the spaces, so that ice car will not park in these spaces. Upon the opening of these SC in NT, there will be more and more people living in NT will buy Tesla.

I think it is insufficient SC at Kln & NT side, I'll suggest to build one open SC at the metered car parking lots along Castle Peak Road where usage is very low. The one near the Tuen Mun bus exchange terminal is a good selection. I never see it full. Although there is no facilities around, the scenery there is very good, one can charge his car there and have a stroll along the seaside. I also suggest that these Parking spaces be installed with one hour parking instead of two hr for the rest of the spaces, so that ice car will not park in these spaces. Upon the opening of these SC in NT, there will be more and more people living in NT will buy Tesla.

There are at least TWO owners in that area, one of them being me. We are working on a solution and maybe, MAYBE, there could be a SC at the Gold Coast shopping mall / yacht club. Cross your fingers, keep ASKING for it.

ask, ask, ask - show the demand

DITB,

I completely agree to regularly ask for super charger service and show demand at public places.

Slightly off topic (mod: feel free to move): If using the EV Power sites and they are not working or not working properly, e.g., 10 amp service instead of 32 amp service, please call EV Power and report the failure. The EV Power number is 2210 7122. Get the charger number on the side of the charger and the location when reporting the failure.

I have also suggested they create an app or website where we can report equipment failures.

EV Power has been very kind and they told me they appreciate the reporting of units that don't work properly (my experience is 2/3 of the quick charging units aren't working properly).

There are at least TWO owners in that area, one of them being me. We are working on a solution and maybe, MAYBE, there could be a SC at the Gold Coast shopping mall / yacht club. Cross your fingers, keep ASKING for it.

ask, ask, ask - show the demand

What I'm trying to say is that some SC can be installed in open areas instead of shopping mall car parks. It should be more easy for Tesla HK to ask permission to install SC in these parking spaces since the govt is encouraging the use of EV. Secondly, the govt did not loss any revenue from these parking spaces.
Furthermore, I do not understand why the service centre of Tesla do not provide SC for regular charging.