Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hong Kong Gold Coast would be a mighty fine spot for a bank of superchargers to cover the SW N.T.

Could be fairly strategic as well, not only for those living around there, but also as a nice staging point for people setting off for HKIA or the longer journey to Macau (once the TMT-CLK tunnel and HK-Macau bridge are completed, circa 2018).

Hong Kong Gold Coast would be a mighty fine spot for a bank of superchargers to cover the SW N.T.

Could be fairly strategic as well, not only for those living around there, but also as a nice staging point for people setting off for HKIA or the longer journey to Macau (once the TMT-CLK tunnel and HK-Macau bridge are completed, circa 2018).

Totally agree, and it don't have to be inside the carpark, there is a big open area there right pass the car park gate, where they can park like 6 to 8 cars. perfect to install 6 super chargers. It is now served as a temporary staging area for people to do 5 mins shopping or visit atm. See the area circled in red.
goldcoast piazza.jpg

Another good place is Hanford near Sam Shing Bay where there are a few prominent seafood restaurants and a small shopping mall.

hangfook.jpg

Last edited:

Wouldn't it be better then at HK Airport? It would then serve people coming down the Lantau freeway as well.

If someone park at the super charger park and fly out gonna be real bad.

Truly. Though one hopes that no Tesla owner would be so unconscientious as to do such a thing.

The "valet" concept could potentially work here. Drive to the airport on your way to somewhere, Supercharge at HKIA. In the time it takes you to get thru check-in, security, and into the departure terminal, good chance you're charged to 80%. Tesla knows how long it will need to charge any of its moddels to a reasonable amount, so the Supercharger Valet will know when to move it out of the charger bay and into a spot nearby. This could potentially be done keylessly, via Tesla app, while you sit in the Cathay lounge enjoying your dan dan noodles, before you board your flight. Via the app, permission the Valet to park the car once it's charged sufficiently. Or introduce an airport charging valet mode which allows the Valet to move the car a predetermined distance, just in case you forget.

Maybe a bit forward-thinking there. But the technology does exist for it to work, and work well.

It's getting very crowded in the SC in Kowloon & NT area after the arrival of P85D. I heard there are 60 something of them. I experienced all SC in Olympic City & Panda Hotel are all full. This problem will grow as more and more Model S is arriving. So more SC in these areas is needed.

All supercharger, I believe have a data I/O (connection) with the vehicle, so Tesla know each model S visited which supercharger and how often anyone use one and they can decide if the supercharger will supply charge to any tesla vehicle, that's how they differentiate which S60 have ordered supercharger package. Using the same method to limit each model S supercharging once every 24 hours should help to eliminate commercial users to block it. Many Uber drive use tesla supercharger because its 0 cost for fuel to do their business. I think if the car is used commercially, which makes profit, they should install their HPWC in their own premises instead. Another thing is, setting up peak hour management system, everyone should use the app to reserve supercharger time slot, that would be much more effective for a collective of users. Anyone reserved the supercharger but end up no show should get penalized for 3 days cannot use any supercharger. And reservations are not transferable, simply managed by the data I/O between charger and tesla vehicle. Any car do not leave within 30 mins after charging completes will also get penalized. Install RFID (each tesla must have a RFID since it use the key fob) around the supercharger carpark, any tesla car just park there and not connecting cable also get penalized for 2 weeks no supercharging service. And automatic alert to management office to impound that car. Not sure any tesla associates would read this post.

Not leaving after fully-charged is a problem at Lee Gardens. There is a reputation among us that some owners just plug in their cars and come back after 3-4 hours when their free parking is almost up.

Yesterday I was at the same lift at Lee Gardens as a lady who looks like a nice person. When the door opens I complained about the Pearl White MS8488, turns out she was the owner and she said she has been out twice (don't know what she means). I then told her 4 hrs ago I was there and waited for an hour in front of her car. I even pressed the button on the gun to confirm that her car was fully charged. Not sure if she heard me, she hurried away as I was telling her. Let say she leave the charger and left the car park then returned again, she shouldn't be supercharging at all because her car is already full! It is not a parking space for goodness sake! It is a charging spot!

I have already suggested to Tesla that maybe they can send even more notifications or even SMS at 15-min interval after a car is fully charged as a kind reminder.

I'm collecting my vehicle next week and this is all rather concerning.

really hoping that I will be able to find a SC when I need it, probably 3x a fortnight, and will be aware of courtesy towards other SC Users. Agree it's not a car parking space.

hope to have good experience...

It's been discussed a long time ago. The main problem (and there are several) is the lack of power. You can't just install a number of supercharging spots and then connect them to the electric grid (which is already overloaded in this area).

It's easy to suggest "Where should Tesla build supercharging stations" - but apart from space, access, legal issues and such, the electric companies limits the locations purely by lack of supply of electrons.

It is less hostile to install 22 kW AC chargers. Or with the same power (and installation cost), you can get more spots. For a shopping mall, it makes more sense: They can have a lot more cars charging at the same time, and when it takes a few hours to charge up, people are likely to go and spend money in shops and restaurants, rather than just stay by the car and wait for it to charge up.

For long time parking, typically at the airport, even 13A chargers are fine. You just need to be gone for at least 24 hours for it to make sense. P2 at the airport could make a section into EV chargers there. They could even cover it with a roof against sun and rain, and have this roof plastered with solar panels. Even as the solar panels are not producing at night, it doesn't matter much for long term parking. As the morning comes, charging restarts. Totally green and locally produced - only cost is a one time installation and purchase investment - after that only minor maintenance.

They can then keep superchargers at the airport for limos, Ubers and others who are there to pick up someone. First and second half hour 20 HKD per half hour, after that, 100 HKD per half hour. That will keep people from long term parking.

-

And that brings us back to the supercharger utilization issues: Too many people overstay, because they have things to do. Gone for hours, especially those places where parking is free for let's say 4 hours.

There should definitely be some kind of control and feedback of how long time a given owner/driver stays after charging is done.

Tesla Motors don't need more suggestions where it would be beneficial to place superchargers. They need help to find locations that will actually accept them AND where electric power can support such superchargers.

Lantau doesn't have any supercharger at all, despite airport and soon-to-be bridge. West NT doesn't have any, with Panda hotel being the closest.

As energy is shifting from burning petrol/diesel/LPG over to electrons, the electric companies (in the near-monopolistic role), must pick up the responsibility and start to upgrade the infrastructure. And with that - we need wind turbines and solar panels.

And that brings us back to the supercharger utilization issues: Too many people overstay, because they have things to do. Gone for hours, especially those places where parking is free for let's say 4 hours.

There should definitely be some kind of control and feedback of how long time a given owner/driver stays after charging is done.

exactly my problem at Hopewell yesterday. i entered the parking lot at ard 1345. the charging stations were all full and 5/6 was fully charged. another car (driver left) and i were waiting. the 1/6 had driver and companion inside the car, having mcdonalds. 1 of the charged left in ard 20 mins, but the other 3 was still there when i left after 1 hour of charging (at ard 1500)!
I spoke with the CS on 3rd floor and they seemed apologetic. methinks since we need to go to the CS after we charged, the less intrusive way is to make drivers note an agreement on the usage of those spots - to get out of those spaces when parking is done. hopewell isnt THAT full normally and usually have some spaces (marked or not!) so that we can move out and make space.

exactly my problem at Hopewell yesterday. i entered the parking lot at ard 1345. the charging stations were all full and 5/6 was fully charged. another car (driver left) and i were waiting. the 1/6 had driver and companion inside the car, having mcdonalds. 1 of the charged left in ard 20 mins, but the other 3 was still there when i left after 1 hour of charging (at ard 1500)!
I spoke with the CS on 3rd floor and they seemed apologetic. methinks since we need to go to the CS after we charged, the less intrusive way is to make drivers note an agreement on the usage of those spots - to get out of those spaces when parking is done. hopewell isnt THAT full normally and usually have some spaces (marked or not!) so that we can move out and make space.

People at Hopewell are generally more disciplined. People at Lee Gardens are terrible, always overstaying

id agree, aside from the weekend lunch period that you may get more "general tesla users", the other time usually are tesla enthusaists who would play by our "rules" (you only need 4 to keep the space rolling).

OTOH i'd give the Lee garden peeps the benefit of the doubt. if you dont have a spare space after u're charged up, where shall one move the car out to? tho in theory if someone is queuing then there must be a space lying around somewhere.

id agree, aside from the weekend lunch period that you may get more "general tesla users", the other time usually are tesla enthusaists who would play by our "rules" (you only need 4 to keep the space rolling).

OTOH i'd give the Lee garden peeps the benefit of the doubt. if you dont have a spare space after u're charged up, where shall one move the car out to? tho in theory if someone is queuing then there must be a space lying around somewhere.

According to the testimony of the car park staff and my numerous experience parking there, Lee Gardens will cut off the queue and display FULL when there are 10 parking spaces left, for Time Square, their FULL on each floor is when there are 8 left. This is common practice to ensure the car park users aren't spending too much time searching for a parking space. So there is no benefit of the doubt for not being able to find a space after charging is finished.