Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard the same from the same source who told me where the launch would be. The superchargers being there is apparently one of the reasons why the launch would take place there, with the the other reasons being 1) enough space for 1,000 attendees to the launch; and 2) enough space for people to do test drives after the launch.

I drove around the terminal during my lunch today. There is construction at the east end of the terminal, nothing like a supercharing station yet so can't confirm if it is the place or not. Another possible location is inside the carpark, which I didn't drive in.

I may go in again and take some pictures next week! keep you guys posted

I have heard the same from the same source who told me where the launch would be. The superchargers being there is apparently one of the reasons why the launch would take place there, with the the other reasons being 1) enough space for 1,000 attendees to the launch; and 2) enough space for people to do test drives after the launch.

Can anyone show up or will it require an invitation?

I hope Tesla Motors HK does better regarding RSVPs than they did for the test drives (!!!). I really want to go and hope being a reservation holder is sufficient for being admitted.

Last edited:
So we haven't yet heard it's July 23rd at 2pm at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal. But let's assume that's what it will be, until we know better. Can anyone show up or will it require an invitation?

I hope Tesla Motors HK does better regarding RSVPs than they did for the test drives (!!!). I really want to go and hope being a reservation holder is sufficient for being admitted.

So is it confirmed for July 23rd? And will Elon be there?

My understanding is that one needs an invitation to attend -- cannot just show up. But I too am hoping a reservation holder is sufficient to garner an invitation.

So is it confirmed for July 23rd? And will Elon be there?

My understanding is that one needs an invitation to attend -- cannot just show up. But I too am hoping a reservation holder is sufficient to garner an invitation.

Nothing confirmed, just speculation and rumors. I have heard some kind of invitation is probably going to be required. Whether a production Model S is enough to secure ? amount of tickets - time will show.

Went to check out the new Tesla den in Tsuen Wan after midnight. Some contractors are working at it inside, as I heard drilling noises etc. From the front window of the service centre, I could see at least two Superchargers inside:

Superchargers @TML Tower.JPG

Taken with my phone, very sorry for the reflections off the window and bad quality, but hope you can still see the two Superchargers by the wall.

They are inside Tesla's facility so I wonder if I'll be able to use them to charge my Model S every now and then? We paid for Supercharger usage for life right? Does that include permission to use those at the service centre too?

guys look what I got here

20140716_174515.jpg
20140716_174522.jpg
20140716_174508.jpg

Met a TM guy doing all the supercharger at the site. 4 bays in KaiTak and 6 bays in Hopwell, more to come around HK! He will be around in the event next week so if you have any question regarding supercharger, he is the one to ask!

The KaiTak site is, like Hopwell Centre, inside the parking lot. $8/hr for Mon-Thur, $12/hr Fri-Sun.

Thanks jh78! Great to know that!

Makes me wonder, probably this is the reason behind the delay of the first sig batch delivery :rolleyes:

The supercharger will be ready to use at the launch event. I think the delay is not related to charging issues.

According to the TM guy I met yesterday, it takes only a week to build a supercharging station. The difficult part is dealing with utility company in HK, took them months to get all the paperworks done.

A quick note re DITB, there will be no valet service or a guy coordinating the spots. It is a problem they are facing worldwide, but nothing much they can do except education. I saw a post in the Model S charging forum that a SC in USA were almost completely blocked by ICE cars.

I think there's a startup in the US which created an app that allows you to ask the occupant to unlock the charge port remotely so you can unplug his and charge your EV. I can't remember the name... Should be somewhere on the US forums.

I think there's a startup in the US which created an app that allows you to ask the occupant to unlock the charge port remotely so you can unplug his and charge your EV. I can't remember the name... Should be somewhere on the US forums.
This is of limited use with superchargers. When you have an 8m cable, you can reach several parking spaces, but the Supercharger cable is so short it will usually only reach one car. So, unlocking the charge port is useless. There was an app described here on TMC where you could put a QR code in your window and somebody could scan the code and send you a message anonymously. That might be of some use, but it would required both parties to have the same app.

Carpark management must make it very clear, that the Supercharger bays are for Teslas only. Maybe impose penalties for non Teslas parking there, similar to what they do on designated monthly bays.
We (the Tesla drivers) need to be considerate and vacate the bay right after charging is complete.