Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I am back few weeks ago, I used the Science Park suppercharger 3 times while I was dinning there. There is one time I need to attend an event at Science Park. Knowing that I will be spending a whole day there I wanted to use the BS1363. It wasn't successful because I could not find the station to pay to enable the EVSE. Where is the pay stations for these EVSEs? What does the station take (cash, credit card, Octopus?)?

Since I am back few weeks ago, I used the Science Park suppercharger 3 times while I was dinning there. There is one time I need to attend an event at Science Park. Knowing that I will be spending a whole day there I wanted to use the BS1363. It wasn't successful because I could not find the station to pay to enable the EVSE. Where is the pay stations for these EVSEs? What does the station take (cash, credit card, Octopus?)?

waidy, I'm shamelessly sharing my blog article to you and there you can find photos which answers your questions, http://lockyep.blogspot.hk/2015/04/travelling-living-picnic-day-at-hong.html

Hi lx3h, thanks for sharing. Have you tried using the Level II EVSEs in Lot 3? I just couldn't find a station to activate any of the EVSEs there.
It's Earth month, we have lots of Earth Day events all over in California. I wish there is Earth Day event in Hong Kong. We can all take our EVs there for display (show and tell). Potential EV buyers love to hear experience from EV driver.

Hi lx3h, thanks for sharing. Have you tried using the Level II EVSEs in Lot 3? I just couldn't find a station to activate any of the EVSEs there.
It's Earth month, we have lots of Earth Day events all over in California. I wish there is Earth Day event in Hong Kong. We can all take our EVs there for display (show and tell). Potential EV buyers love to hear experience from EV driver.

Waidy, no I haven't, I thought free parking is only available at the Phase 2 basement carpark, so I never tried level 2. Anyway, superchargers there are good enough for me.

U guys know The Link offers 10 hours of free parking to EV drivers in 10 car parks under its management? Some are 13A only but there are also quick chargers at certain places. But first of all u need an EV pass which upon application will be delivered to you through courier. See link below.

電動車å…￾費泊車å￾¡

Good idea! Always nice with a place to crash for a day, without paying hundreds of HKD ...

Gold Coast has members-only destination chargers though

Only for Marina Club members, Membership fee is 350,000 HKD and each month have to pay dues............I wonder why can't they put some supercharger in the shopping mall. Lots of people go there in the weekend. There is a marketplace, probably the only supermarket in that area. I can park there when I go to supermarket to shop and then after an hour the battery is full and good to go. How nice.

Only for Marina Club members, Membership fee is 350,000 HKD and each month have to pay dues............I wonder why can't they put some supercharger in the shopping mall. Lots of people go there in the weekend. There is a marketplace, probably the only supermarket in that area. I can park there when I go to supermarket to shop and then after an hour the battery is full and good to go. How nice.

Before we got chargers in the club, it was looked into about superchargers. The main problem is one of the typical ones: There isn't sufficient electric power to have a supercharger station. It's in the hand of the electricity companies, unfortunately. I am sure both club and shopping mall would have loved to have a supercharger station in place.

To have a supercharger requires many pieces of a puzzle to fit in. Off the top of my head:

- Location with sufficient space for at least two parking bays, including charger stalls AND supporting racks close by
- Some kind of local interest in having a supercharger (idealogical or some sort of shopping mall etc)
- Electric infrastructure (sufficient power supply)
- Access to and from the site. Until now, only locations with public access have been honoured by Tesla Motors (ie no restricted clubs or private parkings)
- Parking fees, if any, sorted out
- Owners committees to some extent
- Certain legal issues

I might even have missed some, feel free to add

Tesla Motors really WANT to install more superchargers - including in Hong Kong - and they are working hard to find sites.

Some sites will NOT have the superchargers as they limit parking not only to EVs (or should do), but also only (so far) a certain brand of (luxury) EV. This goes for my own employer: Despite they have the space and all, they don't like that it's only for a certain brand of EV.

@DITB, any chance talking Sino Group into providing type 2 and Tesla's destination charger to the public parking at Gold Coast and their hotel?

I seldom drive there (I run to instead) and notice that there is sufficient open space for a couple of charging spots with solar panel. It's corporate image, CSR, very few developers have good publicity opportunity like that.

I did that about 9 months ago. Talk to Sino's management. They say they would consider and on the other hand, I also contacted Tesla and provided the Gold Coast Piazza (Shopping mall) management contacts to Tesla Hong Kong Charging team. It's seems end up something prevent that happen. Might be as DITB say, many constraints. But most Sino shopping malls do have charging facility. Even Gold Coast have four BS 13A by CLP and free of charge for charging, and in fact the Sino Gold Coast management office use a Nissan Leaf for commuting too. I do think they are early adopters. They actually started installing EV charging in all their malls since 2010.I think it's time to upgrade, may be to 32A or 16A 3-phase. And almost all Sino malls have some level of discount for EV parking, like 2nd hour free, or 40% off, etc.

2010-10-14

Sino carparks electric vehicle charging service expands fourfold in three months
First customer – BMW’s latest electric car, MINI E

Sino Property Services (SPS) strongly supports the use of environmentally-friendly vehicles. After the first launch of electric vehicle charging stations in July this year, another 13 SPS-managed carparks in commercial and residential properties will install electric vehicle chargers and offer a free charging service. The total number of carparks with chargers installed has grown nearly fourfold to a total of 18 stations in just three months.
environmental_image_s_45.jpg

Parking - Gold Coast Piazza

Consider HKD$1870 monthly with free 13A.......Is really good.
Too bad I do not live there, I live somewhere 15 mins of walking from that.

Last edited:

Consider HKD$1870 monthly with free 13A.......Is really good.
Too bad I do not live there, I live somewhere 15 mins of walking from that.

Yes, they need to up it to 32A/3~. 22kW of charging is fast enough for shopping trips. Unless you really just want to charge and go, 0-100% in 4 hours (or 20-90 in less than three hours) is sufficient for most people. I don't think the free charging is going to last, though. But I think at least for the dead slow 13A, it could be included in the parking fees, once EVs become the majority and most parking spots have chargers available.

It just has to get easier. Not so much paperwork, dongles/chips/RFID, people to call to unlock chargers, ICEd spots and so on. In 10 years from now we will look back at this and say "Remember how difficult it was to charge the bar back then?"

I think that after 2020, having an electric car will be for everyone - and charging will be automatic and seamless, not even needed to manually plug and unplug (the "magic snake" robotic cable). For countries with longer distances, not only superchargers but also battery swap stations will be plentiful, and there won't any longer be a need for apps to show availability of chargers.

Before we got chargers in the club, it was looked into about superchargers. The main problem is one of the typical ones: There
To have a supercharger requires many pieces of a puzzle to fit in. Off the top of my head:

- Location with sufficient space for at least two parking bays, including charger stalls AND supporting racks close by
- Some kind of local interest in having a supercharger (idealogical or some sort of shopping mall etc)
- Electric infrastructure (sufficient power supply)
- Access to and from the site. Until now, only locations with public access have been honoured by Tesla Motors (ie no restricted clubs or private parkings)
- Parking fees, if any, sorted out
- Owners committees to some extent
- Certain legal issues

I might even have missed some, feel free to add

Here is one that Tesla Supercharger team put into consideration: bathroom and cafe access.

I once took them to Wai Tau Tsuen (Very close to Lam Tusan where we had the 2015 fiesta; Off Highway 9 and on the other side of Hong Lok Yuen) for a possible location to install superchargers. The landlord and developer were there during Julian's visit. Everything looks good except Julian doesn't like there is lack of bathroom and cafe facilities :-(