Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where'd the dashcam icon go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
I noticed the other day that the dashcam icon is gone. I'm on 2021.44.30.5. I've generally noticed that the recent UI overhaul has cleaned up lots of stuff, including the indication of current user profile. But I just realized the little camera icon is missing. I tried the usual unplugging and replugging of the USB. And I looked and saw it is still successfully recording stuff. But I no longer have the ability to on demand record an event.

Is it hiding somewhere I haven't noticed? Did they get over-zealous in their screen clean-up?

Yes, it's now in the Quick Controls (er, used to be called Quick Controls, now just "Controls"). Press lower left icon on the main screen, then Dashcam icon is in the middle on the right. Press it to save the last 10 minutes of recording (same as before).

I miss being able to record with one touch rather than going a layer deeper to find the button in a cluster of other buttons. I’ve witnessed some behavior I recorded while moving at full speed so I don’t like the idea of having to dig for the button.
You can configure the dashcam to save footage when you honk the horn. Easier than the other options, as long as you’re not annoying other drivers.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
I'm used to it now but it feels like the new UI has hidden some basic features and some of the buttons are crowded with the others in the controls menu. I like the previous implementation of the dash cam icon and viewer. They should at least expand the bottom area to allow for more icons of your choosing.