Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's my New Jersey people at! Quick Question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fellow NJers!

First of all thank you for making the environment a much better place by driving an EV my question for you all is Do you also have solar on your home? Does it complement well with having an EV? Or to my friends that are thinking about going solar: Have you looked into the zero money down option or just the giant upfront cost option?

My goal with these questions is to find out who has solar and loves it and to see what the people who are on the fence also saying! Thanks!

Having an EV doesn't have much of an effect on the decision for solar for us. The car only uses about 20% of our total electric bill.

I don't like any of the no money down solar companies. Vivint came door to door and Solarcity puts the hard sell on you at Home depot. My opinion is if they need to push that hard to sell it to you, its not a good deal. I also don't want to be stuck with a 20 year contract in general and certainly not on something that's changing as quickly as solar.

Solar panel prices were (they seem to have plateaued this year) quickly enough that in a few more years I'll probably put them on the house. But I'll pay up front for them at that point, since the payback time will hopefully only be two or three years.