Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's my performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my performance model s on Saturday. It's still cold where i am, but i have occasionally "hit it" on some straight aways.

I remember literally being scared when i did this in the test drive car... it pulled that hard - plus i did hear the high pitch whine under hard acceleration. I have none of this with my Model S Performance. I'd actually say unimpressed (to myself) - which sounds ridiculous because a lot of people have been talking about this aspect, in a positive way.

I wonder if i'm missing something? "Sport Mode" - lol. To be fair i haven't read all through the manuals, but wondered if anyone else had an opinion.

I've had the same experience in my non-perf. Sometimes I feel slammed into my seat and others, not so much. I've come to the conclusion that on the "not so much" days, the tires were spinning/slipping enough to slow down acceleration but not enough to set off the TC light(I'm guessing TC was working, just not showing the light on the panel). I believe I've confirmed this because several times I've felt a little shimmy out of the rear end when acceleration felt "slow". Make sure your tires are dry, warmed up, and on dry pavement. I also agree with others' assessment that you may have gotten used to it. I rode in Rekoh's non-perf and kept asking him "are you sure this isn't the performance model?!?!" You may be anticipating the acceleration.
As far as the whine goes, mine didn't start the whine until the second week.

I will also note, that even when it feels like I'm accelerating slowly, one glance at the speedo indicates I should probably
back off. As in, "Oops I didn't mean to hit 90 merging onto the freeway". Which is happening less and less as I get used
to the car and start driving like a grandmother to play the "beat rated miles" game.

I will also note, that even when it feels like I'm accelerating slowly, one glance at the speedo indicates I should probably
back off. As in, "Oops I didn't mean to hit 90 merging onto the freeway". Which is happening less and less as I get used
to the car and start driving like a grandmother to play the "beat rated miles" game.

Isn't it great? We get to play either the '90 merging onto the freeway' or the 'beat rated miles' game, depending on mood. And sometimes both games, on the same drive. :biggrin:

Isn't it great? We get to play either the '90 merging onto the freeway' or the 'beat rated miles' game, depending on mood. And sometimes both games, on the same drive. :biggrin:

Same here. Some days I'll be buzzing down my road with the Tesla grin, other days I'll be slowly crawling at 25 to see how low I can get consumption.

(I almost said "putting along" there... amazing the number of ICEisms we've gotten used to...)

haha :biggrin:

totally. This morning I was rolling to work at ~33 (on a 35) and averaged around ~230 Whr/mi after 2 miles then hit a light and had to stop.
Being stopped makes me want to floor it when the light turns green :cool: but I still made it to work (4 mi total) with 285 Whr/mi and a good 0-45 funtime

it is fun to drive scary fast, fun to drive stupid slow (especially with the radio off), and fun just awesome fun.
I'd say the car is pretty damn fun.

Yep, merge at high speed, and then at my usual exit, which is a long slight upgrade, bump it into N to coast up the hill, then back to D for the stop. Dumb.:rolleyes:

I use N quite a bit too....for fun. The car coasts so well

Last edited:
After driving my S85 for three months I had a chance to do a test drive in a P85. Wow, at least on my drive in 70° Palm Springs weather the tires chirped on every full pedal acceleration and chirped as I aggressively went around a corner. Noticeable rush compared with my S85 which I love.

If you don't floor it and go for the chirp the difference is not that much, but with you go for 9/10 or 10/10 the Perf is awesome!

I received my performance model s on Saturday. It's still cold where i am, but i have occasionally "hit it" on some straight aways.

I remember literally being scared when i did this in the test drive car... it pulled that hard - plus i did hear the high pitch whine under hard acceleration. I have none of this with my Model S Performance. I'd actually say unimpressed (to myself) - which sounds ridiculous because a lot of people have been talking about this aspect, in a positive way.

I wonder if i'm missing something? "Sport Mode" - lol. To be fair i haven't read all through the manuals, but wondered if anyone else had an opinion.
The high pitch whine only occurs on full acceleration now (it used to whine at less) and the TC skitters a little bit with our Perf. It is still sttoooopid fast. I think they've improved the performance and behavior with recent (~January?) firmware somehow.

But...

You want a nice warm battery pack and you want it at 80% plus. I think it loses a little bit below 70%, till it finally starts limiting you at 15% or so.

My MSP is definitely slower under 4.2/4.3 than it was under 4.0. I had 4.0 for much longer than most because my update failed and failed for the longest time. (thus skipping 4.1)

It was scary, disruptive acceleration of the funnest kind! Once I got 4.2, acceleration was much smoother. I did get G-TAC for my iphone and verified that my 0-60 time was 4.34 seconds.

I wish I would have done that in the beginning as a data point. At least I'll be able to verify they don't accidentally convert my S to a non-Perf during a firmware update.

My thought is that for 4.0 and earlier, Perf meant Balls Out go. After that it means dolling out enough power to meet or beat spec.

I don't see how we can get them to let us beat spec, but I'm at least going to verify they never get worse.