Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That depends on your driving habits.

Assuming the ICE and EVs both drive the same miles with the same habits.

I'm saying that scratches and knocks from heavy electrical connectors are going to be more frequent than similar hits from a liquid fuel nozzle.
The port hinge would get more use cycles and the paint on and around it will get more handling. Skin oils, fingernail and jewelry scratches, etc. All 10 times more wear than a gasoline port.

Here's another shot of the rear driver quarter panel and still no charging port. Where will the charging port be located TM?????

attachment.php

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet:

Where is the charge port located?

Franz: The charge port is located toward the rear of the car, on the driver’s side. The majority of charging happens at home so this is the most functional location. Similar to the door handles, the charge port door hides when not in use. It was important to me to make charging a unique experience. You’ll see on the Beta vehicles, the charge port looks nothing like a traditional fuel door.

from:http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-designing-perfect-endurance-athlete

Last edited:
Your right, my bad. Franz clearly stated where the port will be so that should be the end of this thread, although we still don't know WHAT it will look like. I'm curious to know how they can make it look different than a traditional fuel door. To me, being at "the rear of the car" isn't ideal. Somewhere at the front of the car would be preferable (my garage is pre-wired with a 240v 70A electric box on the wall in the front of the car)

Last edited:
Both of my EVs (RangerEV & Leaf) have the charge port in the "nose", and I find that convenient.
Both of my EVSEs are in front of the car. As is are most of the public charge spots I have encountered.

I agree; in my garage it would have been a lot easier, and more flexible, to put the HPC on the back wall, in front of the cars. That way the cord could have reached either side of the garage.

As it is the HPC is near the garage door on the passenger side of the Tesla, and I have to drag the cable across the back of the car to plug it in. For the installation we had to run the 90A armored cable all the way down the side of the garage in plain sight. It actually increased the cost of installation a bit.

Well, having it int he nose would be terrible for me as my washer/dryer and some storage shelves are on the back wall so I'd be tripping over cords every time I did laundry. My breaker panel is halfway down on the side of my garage so the outlet is very close to where it needs to be for the Roadster.

Bottom line is that there is no "perfect" place for everyone. It's all a compromise based on your garage layout. And since most people have to run a new plug they can run it wherever is most convenient.

That being said, for public charging, it makes sense to have it in the front since that's where the EVSE will be. But since I only charge at home I'm fine w/ it being on the side.

Well, having it int he nose would be terrible for me as my washer/dryer and some storage shelves are on the back wall so I'd be tripping over cords every time I did laundry.

I think that's the crux of it right there - the downside of by the door is slight inconvenience, the downside of in front is some wouldn't be able to charge at home. Especially in America where garages are often packed full of stuff, but you have to have enough room to get out.

At the risk of being berating for bringing the "dead horse" back to life, The below photo was taken from the "Tesla Family Drive - Model S and Roadster" video. It looks to me like the charge port is located on the driver's side rear quarter panel just below the rear quarter window, aka the rear upper haunch

attachment.php

Last edited:
At the risk of being berating for bringing the "dead horse" back to life, The below photo was taken from the "Tesla Family Drive - Model S and Roadster" video. It looks to me like the charge port is located on the driver's side rear quarter panel just below the rear quarter window, aka the rear upper haunch

I think that's just a reflection.

Agree. Advance a couple of frames and it looks different; also I wonder if the haunches are really wide enough; also it would be rather awkward to plug in almost vertically (think: weight of the cable etc.)

haunch right.jpg

haunch left.jpg

Agree. Advance a couple of frames and it looks different; also I wonder if the haunches are really wide enough; also it would be rather awkward to plug in almost vertically (think: weight of the cable etc.)

Likely correct. But if it were a retractable panel which upon extending upward would have the connectors mounted at the proper angle, just imagine how convenient it would be!

Likely correct. But if it were a retractable panel which upon extending upward would have the connectors mounted at the proper angle, just imagine how convenient it would be!
And keeping in the same design language as the door handles. Certainly would be unique as a gasoline filler doing the same thing would be much harder if not impossible.