Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I notice that Franz references a single charge port location. Since there has been a lot of advertising regarding a 45 minute charging option, I wonder if that means the port will have to accommodate multiple connector types. If so, that would result in one big ugly door. Since Franz says the charge port door hides when not in use, Nigel's comment regarding hiding it behind the tail light makes a lot of sense, particulary if multiple connectors are being concealed.

Larry

I could see that. I hope the light assembly doesn't just do something like slide right (or left) though. If it's not flush with the car body, it's one more thing to trip over or bump into

I could see that. I hope the light assembly doesn't just do something like slide right (or left) though. If it's not flush with the car body, it's one more thing to trip over or bump into

Hi,

Agreed, and obviously it should have a remote locking release to minimize tampering.

When I was a kid I remember fiddling with the tail light release latch of a 56' Chevy to gain access to the gas filler cap. :redface:

Larry

Notice the little 'notch' at the front end of the tail-light in this picture? :
attachment.php?attachmentid=2731&d=1317389511.png

I think I see a curved line on top of the quarter panel (is that what it's called?) up and right of the wheel. I can imagine something lifting out of the panel. I'd feel rather silly if it is just a reflection, but there might be something there.

I suspect it is under the tail light. Since the tail light is most likely LED, it can be very thin, and may open up just like a filler door. The modules would be switched from inside the trunk.
I guess we only have to wait a day to find out...

P.S. I didn't realize that I am posting today for the first time... I've been lurking around the forums since early 2010

I think I see a curved line on top of the quarter panel (is that what it's called?) up and right of the wheel. I can imagine something lifting out of the panel. I'd feel rather silly if it is just a reflection, but there might be something there.

If you are talking about that long arc, I think it is just a (simulated) reflection.

I was talking about this piece:
th_notch.jpg

It looks new (for the Betas) and wasn't on the concept car or Alphas.
It looks like it could swivel/pivot/pop out...

Last edited:
Yeah. Slightly OT, but, it's a very strange looking concoction of a tail-light assembly! What's what - turn signal, brake light, reverse indicator - over here? What's that steel chrome (or black?) bit? Non-functional (more to do with the charge port)??
Remember that these are CGI renderings, not real pictures. So there may be more or less detail on the actual cars. Also, the fake lighting they add to the rendering can make things appear that aren't actually there. All will be revealed soon :)

If you are talking about that long arc, I think it is just a (simulated) reflection.

I was talking about this piece:
th_notch.jpg

It looks new (for the Betas) and wasn't on the concept car or Alphas.
It looks like it could swivel/pivot/pop out...

I agree that I think the location is behind the taillight. However, wasn't it advertised that the Model S would have a fast charging option? If so, doesn't that small section of the taillight look too small to house either a combination plug or multiple plugs?

Maybe a larger section of the taillight would be used.

Larry

There seem to be one of those on each side. Maybe one side is AC and the other is DC?
Just random speculation. For all I know they will turn out to be reflectors and not charge ports at all...

Not only was the Design Studio added to the Tesla website but apparently updates to the Model S "Features" section was added.

"Scan the streamlined body panels and you’ll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the driver’s side taillight holding a connector and something surprising happens: a triangle opens to reveal a small charge port. The connectors enable, from one Tesla-designed port, rapid charging as well as charging from 240 volt and 120 volt outlets...."

It seems they'll need to offer adapters for this custom Tesla connector for J-1772 and Chademo charging sites.

Not only was the Design Studio added to the Tesla website but apparently updates to the Model S "Features" section was added.

"Scan the streamlined body panels and you’ll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the driver’s side taillight holding a connector and something surprising happens: a triangle opens to reveal a small charge port. The connectors enable, from one Tesla-designed port, rapid charging as well as charging from 240 volt and 120 volt outlets...."

It seems they'll need to offer adapters for this custom Tesla connector for J-1772 and Chademo charging sites.

Wow!! That's a very compact port to permit rapid (DC?) charging as well as 120 and 240 volt charging from that small triangle.

Larry