TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where's the service manual?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by evmile, Jul 28, 2013.

1. evmile

evmile Member

The model S has been out for a year and there still is no service manual. What's the story?

2. Energie Gratiz

Energie Gratiz Active Member

Now we are in June 2014, the Model S has been out now for nearly TWO years. I still can't find the service manual. Who has one?

3. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

It does seem a bit disengenious that the patents belong to us but there will be no support for those that want to service what they own because that information is proprietary.

Whatever forced Ferrari, Porsche, MB and the like to generate documentation and diagnostic tools will eventually catch up to Tesla. They will not stay small enough to fly below the radar much longer.

4. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Once a significant number of cars are out of warranty I'd think the feds/states will take notice. My SC has a sign that says the hourly rate is $175. Repairs will be quite expensive.

I think Tesla is arguing the following:

The law says a service manual must be made available so independent shops can compete with dealerships. Tesla has no dealerships so independent shops have nothing to compete with. Thus no need to release a manual.

That's hogwash, obviously. So far they've gotten away with it as they have taken care of things under warranty and goodwill.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't know whether they are arguing this or not, but...

In the same way that Tesla can (hopefully) rely on the average citizen to back them in the dealership situation, they should be wary of being on the wrong side of the servicing/shop-manual issue.

6. brianvicars

brianvicars Member

I have purchased a service manual for every car I have ever bought ranging from $10 for my 1978 Chevy Impala and $340 for my 1993 Crown Victoria. I.still drive both cars.
    When my Model X arrives in the first quarter of 2016, I will be very disappointed if a service manual or online manual access is unavailable. Canada XP634.

7. swegman

swegman Member

Prepare to be disappointed. A service manual exists. You just cant buy it.

8. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Sure you can; the MX manual is on the shelf right next to the MS manual :)