Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which adapter and is it safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are in the process of laying down new concrete for our garage and I will be unable to pull into it to charge. I have a regular 12 v and another plug installed that is a 30 amp. I've attached an image. My Tesla connector does not match it. Is there an adapter that I can connect to my plug then you the Tesla adapter that I can get quickly at home Depot or Lowe's and is safe? Thanks all! IMG_20170724_175339.jpg IMG_20170724_175336.jpg

That's a TT-30 - the "30 Amp" travel trailer solution that you'll find at some campgrounds. It's 30A - at 120V. You can order an adapter for it, like this one:

NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

I think the car limits to 20 or 24A maximum when it's at 120V? If not, you'll need to set it down to 24A in the car to protect the wiring/breaker.

24A @120V = 2.9 kW. Not the fastest charging, but twice a standard wall outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
That's a TT-30 - the "30 Amp" travel trailer solution that you'll find at some campgrounds. It's 30A - at 120V. You can order an adapter for it, like this one:

NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

I think the car limits to 20 or 24A maximum when it's at 120V? If not, you'll need to set it down to 24A in the car to protect the wiring/breaker.

24A @120V = 2.9 kW. Not the fastest charging, but twice a standard wall outlet.
I have 200amp service with 100 amp box in the garage. My hpwc is connected to a 60 amp breaker and charges at 48 amps that 30 amp is connected to the same box not sure which breaker I'll have to look. Will I still have to reduce power to 20 amps?

I have 200amp service with 100 amp box in the garage. My hpwc is connected to a 60 amp breaker and charges at 48 amps that 30 amp is connected to the same box not sure which breaker I'll have to look. Will I still have to reduce power to 20 amps?

The outlet is rated for 30A peak, 24A continuous. That's the limit for what can safely be pulled through the outlet. I don't know what the wiring and breaker are like.

Modern code requires four wire plugs, so you'd probably need to run new wiring to replace the receptacle with a 14-50 to it if that's your plan.

Doesn't matter what all the other breakers are... that plug is a TT-30. It is 120V. You should reduce the power to 80% of 30A, which is 24A.

I'll have to go to home Depot tonight I can't wait for it to be delivered!

If you can find the TT-30 plug, you will need to wire it to a 14-50 receptacle and then plug in your EVSE. There is a specific way to wire the TT-30 to a 14-50. You should be able to find it searching the internet.

The wire is all 3 gauge to the hpwc and that outlet. Does that matter? The other outlets are 120v regular plugs.

Just so I'm clear, the HPWC is not accessible, hence your trying to use this other outlet? No, it doesn't matter how the HPWC is wired if your trying to use this outlet.

Other option - you may be able to have an electrician switch this to a 30a 240v outlet. They would need to check the gauge of the wire and the number of wires, change the breaker, etc. It would likely be a 6-30.

Doesn't matter what all the other breakers are... that plug is a TT-30. It is 120V. You should reduce the power to 80% of 30A, which is 24A.

If you can find the TT-30 plug, you will need to wire it to a 14-50 receptacle and then plug in your EVSE. There is a specific way to wire the TT-30 to a 14-50. You should be able to find it searching the internet.

Just so I'm clear, the HPWC is not accessible, hence your trying to use this other outlet? No, it doesn't matter how the HPWC is wired if your trying to use this outlet.

Other option - you may be able to have an electrician switch this to a 30a 240v outlet. They would need to check the gauge of the wire and the number of wires, change the breaker, etc. It would likely be a 6-30.
No the hpwc is not accessible. So I cannot simply plug one end of the adapter in to the wall and the Tesla in the other? I need to wire something else? Or is this if I cannot find the adapter and a typo?

No the hpwc is not accessible. So I cannot simply plug one end of the adapter in to the wall and the Tesla in the other? I need to wire something else? Or is this if I cannot find the adapter and a typo?

Just trying to do too many things at a time... I'm not making sense :)

Given your HPWC is not accessible, it doesn't matter how it is wired.

The TT-30 plug is pretty much RV world. Not sure where you would be able to find it quickly locally. Home Depot didn't carry them around here. RV store? The big warning I have read is that an RV wired TT-30 -> 14-50 will not work with a Tesla. I ended up buying one from EVSE Adaptors.

Unfortunately, you may be stuck. There are lots of semi-safe/un-safe solutions out there, but would require an electrician or good knowledge of electricity.

Can you use the portable EVSE and a standard 120V wall outlet and then supplement at a nearby charging station?

Just trying to do too many things at a time... I'm not making sense :)

Given your HPWC is not accessible, it doesn't matter how it is wired.

The TT-30 plug is pretty much RV world. Not sure where you would be able to find it quickly locally. Home Depot didn't carry them around here. RV store? The big warning I have read is that an RV wired TT-30 -> 14-50 will not work with a Tesla. I ended up buying one from EVSE Adaptors.

Unfortunately, you may be stuck. There are lots of semi-safe/un-safe solutions out there, but would require an electrician or good knowledge of electricity.

Can you use the portable EVSE and a standard 120V wall outlet and then supplement at a nearby charging station?
I wish I had a nearby station. South Western PA not a lot except wheeling pa and cranberry pa until Morgantown opens. I might just have to use the 120v solution and make a few supercharger trips to work it out.

Last edited:
You can make your own adapter from off the shelf parts at Home Depot. If you're not 100% comfortable then don't do it, but I would use something like the below to make a simple adapter and set the car to 24 amps. At 120 v it's not going to be more than ~8-10 mph though.

Leviton 30 Amp 125-Volt 2-Pole Angle Travel Trailer Plug, Black-R50-00830-00T - The Home Depot

Legrand Pass & Seymour 50 Amp 125/250-Volt NEMA 14-50R Surface Mount Power Outlet - Black-3854CC6 - The Home Depot

Southwire 6-3 Black Stranded CU SIMpull NM-B W/G Wire-63950099 - The Home Depot

Thank you all! Looks like my hope are crushed and I'll have to make due with 4 miles and hour and a supercharger stop or three. They are out of the way but if I fill up I can get by with nightly 4 mph charges.

Surely I MUST be missing something here??? If you have 200 amp service and a 100 amp panel already in your garage, and a HPWC in your garage?? If this is temporary just until the concrete cures and there is a Supercharger close "or close enough" why go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel at all??

Surely I MUST be missing something here??? If you have 200 amp service and a 100 amp panel already in your garage, and a HPWC in your garage?? If this is temporary just until the concrete cures and there is a Supercharger close "or close enough" why go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel at all??
I have 10 days until it’s set and cured. My commute is 100 miles round trip. There is a supercharger 25 miles from my work (Further away) I work alternating 12-9 and 9-5 shifts. So take tomorrow, 12-9 I’m at 140 right now. I’ll be at 190 when I leave, I’ll get home with 90 and only be able to charge from 11ish to 7ish that will be 140ish. I’d have to drive 30 minutes in the opposite direction then back almost every 3 days, and that might be pushing it. I was looking for a better temporary solution. Oh well...